Export thread

New Member - Need Snapper Help

B

BobbyFord

Hi,
New member here. I'm having trouble with ID and year of my push mower.
Model V212 Serial# 92011485
I've been using this mower since about 1996 with zero problems. It's all original except for newer tires. This mower runs good, burns a little oil and just broke the pull cord. I like this mower and I want to get a new motor as opposed to buying a new mower.
Not really worried about price as much as getting a quality motor that will last. Do all lawn mower motors have the same deck bolt pattern? Where is a good place to get a new motor? I've seen talk of shaft size.
Any help will be appreciated.

wingless

wingless

Welcome to the forum.

When I replaced the engine on my Snapper self propelled 21" walk behind I purchased the replacement from Northern Tool.

They have a decent selection and acceptable prices.

Here are their Vertical Shaft Briggs and Stratton Engines. They also offer Honda engines.

The Snapper deck already has plenty of holes for a variety of engine bolt patterns.

The easy solution would be to select one w/ a shaft that matches the existing pulley and blade mount. When I swapped my engine I also installed the available larger shaft pulley for greater ground speed.

wingless

wingless

This shows the Snapper engine bolt pattern.

36376841885_020fd697c2_b.jpg

B

BobbyFord

Awesome. Thanks for the reply! I will definitely check out Northern Tool, I already have an account with them.
In the meantime, I went to replace the pull cord so that I can at least finish mowing my lawn (broke when I tried to restart after emptying the bag,) dropped the plastic gear and the spring popped out. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to load the spring after getting it back in the plastic gear. I guess I'll run the starter housing down to the local Snapper repair so the guy can laugh at me.

*EDIT: Great job on your mower restomod.

Boobala

Boobala

Awesome. Thanks for the reply! I will definitely check out Northern Tool, I already have an account with them.
In the meantime, I went to replace the pull cord so that I can at least finish mowing my lawn (broke when I tried to restart after emptying the bag,) dropped the plastic gear and the spring popped out. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to load the spring after getting it back in the plastic gear. I guess I'll run the starter housing down to the local Snapper repair so the guy can laugh at me.

Check on Youtube How To's !

cpurvis

cpurvis

If you're really lucky, Surplus Center might have an engine that'll work. https://www.surpluscenter.com/

Or Jack's Small Engines https://www.jackssmallengines.com/?msclkid=340029f468ad179aaaaa73305ed5edbf

Or Tulsa Engine Warehouse http://tewarehouse.com/

B

BobbyFord

Check on Youtube How To's !

I searched every one. There isn't a set up like mine on YouTube. This mower is at least 20 years old.

B

BobbyFord

Mine is a pusher so does shaft diameter matter since there is no drive pulley?

B

bertsmobile1

Mine is a pusher so does shaft diameter matter since there is no drive pulley?

Yes cause the blade holder is also dependent upon the shaft size

Also try small engine supplies and small engine warehouse.
At this time of year they start to get the surplus engines in and the factory pulls ( engine gets changed between seasons )
If you have problems, read the setions on their web sites about measuring and replacing engines.
In most cases the difference is little more than the colour of the blower housing.
They all come with carbs and most have mufflers as well so the worst thing is you might have to buy a universal throttle cable and cut it down to fit.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Bobby Ford if your engine is just burning a lil bit of oil you should be good on that engine for a another season... Just put in some 40 WT. oil in it Straight 40 should do you good..... Or 50..... Race cars and certain engines that burn a lil oil works good with the heavy oil....

I knew a Bobby Ford in South Louisiana years ago.. He owned a trucking company in Abbeville La. Any relation ??

The spring is easily replaced....... Your shaft is 7/8 in. more than likely on that mower....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

That is a great looking mower... And WELL made too... I did a Spring tune up on one like that, but with a engine on it LOL..

I like the drive system on it... It's the same as the rear riders with the drive plate and rubber tire/wheel on it...

The one I worked on was 12 years old and started first or 2nd pull every year........

The owner uses NON FART gas in everything he owns... He says if he wants corn he's gonna grow some and boil it to eat with Crawfish in a Crawfish Boil ~!~!

B

BobbyFord

Bobby Ford if your engine is just burning a lil bit of oil you should be good on that engine for a another season... Just put in some 40 WT. oil in it Straight 40 should do you good..... Or 50..... Race cars and certain engines that burn a lil oil works good with the heavy oil....

I knew a Bobby Ford in South Louisiana years ago.. He owned a trucking company in Abbeville La. Any relation ??

The spring is easily replaced....... Your shaft is 7/8 in. more than likely on that mower....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

No relation. Thanks for the info, buddy.

Thanks everyone.

B

BobbyFord

The inside end of the spring was all bent to hell. The witness marks on the inside hub indicates that maybe the spring was previously installed incorrectly.
Does this look right?

wingless

wingless

When I replaced the engine on my Snapper self propelled 21" walk behind I purchased the replacement from Northern Tool.

That is a great looking mower... And WELL made too... I did a Spring tune up on one like that, but with a engine on it LOL..
Thanks much.

My linked topic shows the complete machine restoration.
Here are their Vertical Shaft Briggs and Stratton Engines. They also offer Honda engines.
There is one linked Briggs and Stratton engine that would be a good choice for these Hi Vac machines than the other linked B&S engines and all those linked Honda engines.

Most of the B&S engines and all those Honda engines all dump the exhaust at the Hi Vac chute, That one B&S engine dumps the exhaust at the opposite side. The hot exhaust might be problematic w/ the plastic chute and the nylon bag.

B

BobbyFord

Thanks much.

My linked topic shows the complete machine restoration. There is one linked Briggs and Stratton engine that would be a good choice for these Hi Vac machines than the other linked B&S engines and all those linked Honda engines.

Most of the B&S engines and all those Honda engines all dump the exhaust at the Hi Vac chute, That one B&S engine dumps the exhaust at the opposite side. The hot exhaust might be problematic w/ the plastic chute and the nylon bag.

I believe the shaft on mine is over 3” in length, the one you linked shows 1-13/16

wingless

wingless

Yes, the 1-13/16" shaft is too short.

Their web site doesn't show an appropriate engine. They should be able to get the correct engine.

All those engines are drop shipped from the manufacturer anyway, so a slightly different model shouldn't be an issue.

B

BobbyFord

Yes, the 1-13/16" shaft is too short.

Their web site doesn't show an appropriate engine. They should be able to get the correct engine.

All those engines are drop shipped from the manufacturer anyway, so a slightly different model shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

wingless

wingless

This web site lists the current B&S engines.

This B&S engine looks like is could work. It doesn't list all the info, so a phone call might be required.

wingless

wingless

The exhaust is on the wrong side.

B

BobbyFord

Dang. Isn’t that the exhaust pointing toward the right front?

wingless

wingless

There is one linked Briggs and Stratton engine that would be a good choice for these Hi Vac machines than the other linked B&S engines and all those linked Honda engines.

Dang. Isn’t that the exhaust pointing toward the right front?
That engine has the exhaust pointing at the plastic chute / nylon bag side.

35541201634_cc8e295239_b.jpg

B

BobbyFord

That engine has the exhaust pointing at the plastic chute / nylon bag side.

35541201634_cc8e295239_b.jpg

Ahh, gotcha

cpurvis

cpurvis

I've used SES before. They were able to find parts that I couldn't.

B

BobbyFord

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help. You guys have likely saved me from ordering the wrong engine.
Today I installed the recoil housing, added some 40W and was able to complete the mow job on the back grass. :smile:
I contacted B&S with my model number and serial number.
Again, thanks for the guidance.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Bobby I will look up a short block for you... I found not long ago for a a guy on here that was looking for a couple years......

his is the same as yours............

cpurvis

cpurvis

At one time, Briggs and Stratton had a "re-power" section on their website. You entered your engine's Model and Type and it listed their engines which would replace yours.

But I can't find it on the website now. Someone more astute with computers may be able to find it.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Here is the link Bobby

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...r=Shaft_fq:"7/8\"Dx3-5/32\"L"&rows=20&start=0

Your block is the bottom one... Your flywheel and head plus your carb will fit on this one........

B

BobbyFord

Here is the link Bobby

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...r=Shaft_fq:"7/8\"Dx3-5/32\"L"&rows=20&start=0

Your block is the bottom one... Your flywheel and head plus your carb will fit on this one........

Thank you

B

BobbyFord

I’m not exactly happy with Small Engine Warehouse. I ordered the short block that was recommended, however it doesn’t come with any gaskets. I contacted them and was told they don’t know which gaskets go with that motor without knowing the numbers on the block. I was told I’d have to wait for the block to arrive and then contact them with the numbers on the block.
The engine block is in stock at their warehouse, that leads me to believe they already have access to the numbers on the block. This already doesn’t sound like it’s going to end well. :(

BlazNT

BlazNT

The warehouse they are talking about is not theirs but someone they buy from. It will be drop shipped directly from it. So your worries are not really necessary at this point. Just get them the numbers when it comes in and goes from there.

B

BobbyFord

The warehouse they are talking about is not theirs but someone they buy from. It will be drop shipped directly from it. So your worries are not really necessary at this point. Just get them the numbers when it comes in and goes from there.
Ahh, makes sense. Thanks for the information.

B

BobbyFord

Well, I guess I'm going to bail out of this thing for now. The short block arrived and everything looks like it's going to work and fit except my exhaust. I contacted S.E.W. to get a muffler for the new short block. It seems like I'm talking to a twelve year old kid. He doesn't know what exhaust will fit the engine that I just bought from him. I gave him the engine tag number that came in the packet of new gaskets. I told him my old muffler was threaded and the new exhaust port is eye shaped with two bolt holes. I ordered a muffler today off of Amazon, just by picture.
This short block is black and I'm unable to get the black paint off. I asked for a return authorization and if they have unpainted short blocks.
I'll try to get another engine from somewhere else.
:frown:

BlazNT

BlazNT

Well, I guess I'm going to bail out of this thing for now. The short block arrived and everything looks like it's going to work and fit except my exhaust. I contacted S.E.W. to get a muffler for the new short block. It seems like I'm talking to a twelve year old kid. He doesn't know what exhaust will fit the engine that I just bought from him. I gave him the engine tag number that came in the packet of new gaskets. I told him my old muffler was threaded and the new exhaust port is eye shaped with two bolt holes. I ordered a muffler today off of Amazon, just by picture.
This short block is black and I'm unable to get the black paint off. I asked for a return authorization and if they have unpainted short blocks.
I'll try to get another engine from somewhere else.
:frown:

Black engine will run cooler than an unpainted engine. Unless you just hate black I would go with it.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/paint-it-black.htm

wingless

wingless

This web site lists the current B&S engines.

This B&S engine looks like is could work. It doesn't list all the info, so a phone call might be required.
Why not contact this vendor to obtain the detailed specifications to see if this complete engine will work?

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Which place you talking about Blaze ?? S.E.W. ??

B

BobbyFord

Ha! Well, I got the black paint off and decided to go ahead with the short block replacement.
I ordered a 692038 muffler and I'll use the deflector from the OE muffler. I have a little time now that I've finished my masonry project in the backyard.
My plan is to get the deck blasted and prepared for a fresh coat of paint. Does anyone know where to get replacement Snapper decals or if they are even available? I'd like to keep the equipment number sticker on it if possible. If I can't get a replacement decal I'll just sand and primer the deck and mask off the original decal.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Try this guy Bobby he usually answers back in a day........

www.ebay.com/i/331580864071?chn=ps

B

BobbyFord

Try this guy Bobby he usually answers back in a day........

www.ebay.com/i/331580864071?chn=ps

Thanks, bud!

B

BobbyFord

Pretty ugly to start with...

Getting better...

Other parts are out at the sandblaster.

B

BobbyFord

Started taking the old motor apart to swap the head, carb, intake, ignition, etc.
As you can see in the pics, the ignition, sheet metal and who knows what else are totally different. The block doesn't even sit flush on the mower deck. I can only believe at this point that I was instructed to buy the wrong short block.
A total waste of time and money.
Anybody want to buy this short block? I have no idea what it really fits. 799983 short block.

wingless

wingless

That is too bad.

This reply has a source that appears to have an engine that will work.

B

BobbyFord

That is too bad.

This reply has a source that appears to have an engine that will work.

Wrong shaft size.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Sweet

wingless

wingless

Wrong shaft size.
Here is the complete 2016/16 B&S master catalog.

The vertical shaft engines start on page 79. The first two engines list Snapper application, one has a 7/8" shaft, the other has a 25mm shaft.

Any B&S dealer will identify the current models that will fit the application.

B

BobbyFord

Here is the complete 2016/16 B&S master catalog.

The vertical shaft engines start on page 79. The first two engines list Snapper application, one has a 7/8" shaft, the other has a 25mm shaft.

Any B&S dealer will identify the current models that will fit the application.

I contacted B&S directly and told there was currently no available replacement motor for my application .

wingless

wingless

I contacted B&S directly and told there was currently no available replacement motor for my application .
What's wrong w/ the 126M02-1015-F1 (7/8" shaft) or the 126M02-1625-F1/1031-F1 (25mm shaft), or the current versions?

Those are made for Snapper decks.

B

BobbyFord

What's wrong w/ the 126M02-1015-F1 (7/8" shaft) or the 126M02-1625-F1/1031-F1 (25mm shaft), or the current versions?

Too short.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

I am the one that told about that short block... You gave the numbers for it and I found the block.. I was going on info that you gave me.......

I see now that you have put a picture up of your mower that you have a 3 1/2 hp or 4 HP engine on your mower.....

I have a engine just like yours on your snapper Cam driven sprocket though for a self propelled mower...

Every one on here thought you had a 6 Hp. engine...

B

BobbyFord

I am the one that told about that short block... You gave the numbers for it and I found the block.. I was going on info that you gave me.......

I see now that you have put a picture up of your mower that you have a 3 1/2 hp or 4 HP engine on your mower.....

I have a engine just like yours on your snapper Cam driven sprocket though for a self propelled mower...

Every one on here thought you had a 6 Hp. engine...

It's a '92 V212 3.5hp.
I'm going to see if I can get my original engine rebuilt.
The 6hp paperweight will go into my recycling bin.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Hold on to that short block.. Either me or someone else will need it soon in the future..... If I need it I'll make sure you don't lose money on it..........

Those blocks are getting hard to find.......

wingless

wingless

Too short.
Don't those engines have 3-5/32" shafts? If so, what shaft length is required?

Mine looks to be about that length.

35504037894_f6c77bd0e8_b.jpg

B

BobbyFord

Don't those engines have 3-5/32" shafts? If so, what shaft length is required?

Mine looks to be about that length.

35504037894_f6c77bd0e8_b.jpg

Yes, 7/8”X3-5/32”
I’m getting leery of the info I’m getting. I’ve already said I know nothing about mowers. I build cars and motorcycles. I’ve spent money here in the wrong direction. I’m going to take this pile of parts to the family owned mower shop that sold this Snapper in 1992. I’m going to go with whatever he says.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Bobby I am going to apologize one more time for the wrong block..... You gave us the info on the mower deck not the Engine Model number..... If you would have posted the engine numbers we would have known right away what you needed.....

I wish you would have put a picture up of your mower at the start of your thread..... On here we go by what people tell us.... Some people make a video and post it....

Like everyone says on here, we are not there with you to see what you have or hear a problem....... You wanted a replacement and your engine ran great.... But smoked a lil bit . I advised you to put a heavier oil in it for a temporary fix.

In post 19 you posted a link to engine that was 8.5 gross torque with a 7/8 dia shaft 3 5/32 long...... The block you got has the same measurements.....

Like I said earlier one of us will need that block soon.... Heck if I had the money now I would take it off your hands..... I just made a 600 dollar order from my wholesale parts warehouse so that blew my wallet wide open......

Your local shop has used parts to put on that block.... That block doesn't need many parts so it will be worth it and you are gonna have a new stronger engine, for cheaper than rebuilding your old one....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ..........

B

BobbyFord

Bobby I am going to apologize one more time for the wrong block..... You gave us the info on the mower deck not the Engine Model number..... If you would have posted the engine numbers we would have known right away what you needed.....

I wish you would have put a picture up of your mower at the start of your thread..... On here we go by what people tell us.... Some people make a video and post it....

Like everyone says on here, we are not there with you to see what you have or hear a problem....... You wanted a replacement and your engine ran great.... But smoked a lil bit . I advised you to put a heavier oil in it for a temporary fix.

In post 19 you posted a link to engine that was 8.5 gross torque with a 7/8 dia shaft 3 5/32 long...... The block you got has the same measurements.....

Like I said earlier one of us will need that block soon.... Heck if I had the money now I would take it off your hands..... I just made a 600 dollar order from my wholesale parts warehouse so that blew my wallet wide open......

Your local shop has used parts to put on that block.... That block doesn't need many parts so it will be worth it and you are gonna have a new stronger engine, for cheaper than rebuilding your old one....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ..........

Thanks, bud. I’m just frustrated right now but I’ll get this thing ironed out.

B

BobbyFord

Runs awesome! I still have to paint the Snapper letters on the front and I'm waiting on some decals that I ordered online.

wingless

wingless

Looks great, good job.

This shows how I painted my letters.

36376841335_9e75e343c3_b.jpg

B

BobbyFord

Looks great, good job.

This shows how I painted my letters.

36376841335_9e75e343c3_b.jpg

Thank you. Those letters look good, thanks for the tip!

wingless

wingless

Glad to help.

Ensure the roller is not overly saturated with paint.

My white paint overflow down on the red were immediately cleaned using swabs w/ WD-40.

B

BobbyFord

Glad to help.

Ensure the roller is not overly saturated with paint.

My white paint overflow down on the red were immediately cleaned using swabs w/ WD-40.

Good to know. Thanks.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Runs awesome! I still have to paint the Snapper letters on the front and I'm waiting on some decals that I ordered online.

What did you do ??? Keep the short block or redo the original ??

B

BobbyFord

What did you do ??? Keep the short block or redo the original ??
I still have the new short block in a box. This is my original 3.5hp.