New guy, new problems.

weaponepsilon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all. Real quick info on me: Mechanically inclined, six pack attitude, can give proper names of components only on off days...

The Problem:

I bought an old Craftsman 830 rider with an 8hp Tecumseh off some guy on Craigslist. Price was right and he only lived about a mile from me. I picked it up and he cautioned me that the tractor needed a tune up. I went on my way, changed the oil, tightened the rear wheel (chain was slipping), and gave her a new spark plug. Thing ran great. Last fall It spewed black smoke and it leaked oil. Sure enough the oil seal failed and I hauled into the garage and left it over the winter. This spring I found that the seal was intact but had slipped down the shaft. So naturally, I tapped it back into place, refilled the oil, and let it warm up. I took it for a spin around the yard and it started to sputter and get really loud. I go back almost to the garage when the engine exploded. The entire side of the cylinder wall blew outward all over my garage.

I figured I could replace the engine. Boy was I in for a can of worms.

I found a guy who had a Briggs 8 hp rider engine model 193707-0301-01 for $100. I snapped it up quickly but found a multitude of problems. First, the original Tecumseh was a pull start. Solution: new switch, new wiring, add a battery. Second, the pulley diameters were off. I had a 37 in drive belt, but now I need a 38 inch or so belt.

Where I'm at: After monkeying with this rider (new engine, new gas tank with brackets mounted) I forgot a few crucial components.

1) I need to wire a "kill" or off position with the switch to turn the damn thing off. How do I do that?

2) The guy mentioned little about the danging wire coming off the motor. After research it is a wire from the stator to recharge the battery (black wire, red connector). I would like to have my battery charge. How do I connect it; what am I missing?

Now I know thats a bit to take in, but I'm assuming overall I need a simple harness to connect and be done with it. My issue is that I cannot find a proper harness nor are any retailers able to work with me.

Nice forum you guys got here, hopefully you can give me a hand or point me in the right direction...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to determine if that 'charge' wire has AC or DC voltage on it and how much voltage, with the engine running...
There should also be a kill wire from the magneto that when grounded will shut the engine down... DO NOT apply 12 volts to the kill wire...

The key switch for an electric start engine is available with 12 volts out to feed a coil OR with a kill position to ground when in the off position... You have to determine what you need... My 'guess' is the one with the ground kill position...

Engine swaps are always kind of fun... but there is a lfew things you want to be sure of before you just hook things up to "try it out"... :smile:KennyV

weaponepsilon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. I know there is an off position on the ignition switch, but I cant seem to find a wire coming off the engine other than the stator. You say its on the magneto? I'll look for a terminal thats lacking a wire. Also, I looked up the wire identification on a Briggs site (http://www.perr.com/pdf/alternator_replacement.pdf) and I can't quite match up the color schemes, although it does appear to be an AC circuit. ON page 5 of that PDF, it shows how to splice certain harnesses together. Is that what I need to do?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
For one type off position... the switch just removes 12 volts from the run position(coil).
For the magneto type off position, the switch applies ground to the magneto lead...

For the few wires you need to run, you really do not need several wiring harness ... just make your own runs... :smile:KennyV

weaponepsilon

Forum Newbie
Threads
EDIT: I figured this would be a whole bunch of DIY stuff. From all the information I've seen, the stator appears to be a DC actually. I went out and cleaned the darkened wire and it is really a red wire. Can I just connect it to the battery straight?

Last edited:

weaponepsilon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alright determined the proper wiring for the key switch and hand wired it using a Briggs diagram, put in the new drive belt, made some minor adjustments. Now all thats left is to adjust the rear axle and determine wiring for the stator. Can I just wire it straight to the battery? According to engine spec sheets its a 3v unregulated line.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Alright determined the proper wiring for the key switch and hand wired it using a Briggs diagram, put in the new drive belt, made some minor adjustments. Now all thats left is to adjust the rear axle and determine wiring for the stator. Can I just wire it straight to the battery? According to engine spec sheets its a 3v unregulated line.

No you can not connect a 3 volt source to a 12 volt battery. Nor do you want to connect any AC to a battery.
somewhere you will have to have a voltage regulator... You do need to hook up the electrical circuits properly and include fuses & circuit protection.
sorry I don't have the time right now to look it up.. I'll get back asap... :smile:KennyV

weaponepsilon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe it is a 3v unregulated DC with a diode. The spec sheet explained the wiring scheme precisely so I'm going with that. I think theres an ammeter on the chasis for some reason...