Comparison New guy looking for new mower

smoke03

Forum Newbie
Threads
New guy here checking in with a question. Im looking at buying a new grasshopper either at the end of this month or the middle of next month. I just recently hooked up with a lawn service company mowing commercially. Im looking at two different models and I was hoping some of you experienced guys could chime in on the pros and cons of these mowers. Im looking for a mower that will stick on a hill, provide a high qaulity cut, and stripe very well.

Here are the models Im looking at.

227 with the 27hp kohler and 61" duramax deck
329b with the 29hp big block vangaurd briggs and 61" duramax deck

I mow some rough terrain and more hilly terrain than flat terrain. The grass I mow is usually pretty thick. I would prefer to stay under the $10k range and judging by what limited pricing info I can find these two fit the bill.

Thanks in advance

jigbuilder

Threads
I mow 4 acres with a 223/52" deck 23 hp Kohler on flat terrain. IMO depending on hill steepness the front mounts may be a safer mower. A mid mount zero turn isn't the safest on steep slopes. See your hopper dealer or talk with some of the other service guys and get their input on mid mount vs front mount on steep slopes.

My hopper dealer didn't think much of the Briggs for his commercial mowing customers. IMO a diesel is the only way to go for commercial operations. These 23-30 hp gas engines use lots of fuel compared to the diesel.

Have you considered a low hour used unit ??

A

AmericanTurf

I have a 2012 grasshopper front mount 725 with diesel. I rode many hours on a mid mount also. I would say that there is no "type" of any ztr that is good on hills. I rode many hours on a 72" grounds master and it was awesome on hills.

jewing3227

Forum Newbie
Threads
After being around my father in law who owns a 721d which is many many years old and 1600 hrs I dedided to get me one. I just bought a 329B With the vanguard and 61 deck. Mowed with it for the first time today and WOW! I can see having a lot of years out of this thing. It was the dealers last one and I got one heck of a price on it.

173abn

Threads
found a good used one several yrs. ago on CL.It's a front mount 28 hp Kubota diesel.I mow my ditch which is pretty steep w/0 pucker factor.To me diesel rules.I usually mow 3 acres once a week and am good for 3 cuttings per tankful. russ