New guy, Ignition key question

jimvw57

Threads
I picked up a Husqvarna zero turn RZ4619 at an auction, has 196 hrs on it and It starts, runs ok, and cuts good. Two questions, the deck seems to ride quite low, only down about 3 notches and it cuts short enough to scalp the grass. I doubt I would ever be able to lower it all the way even on flat cement. Is there an adjustment?
Second question, The ey is a bit bent and I'd like to get a replacement. Are they all cut the same? there was a RZ4824 sitting next to mine and the keys did not turn when they got swapped by accident.
My mower has a model #965921501 if that helps

oh and the deck belt jumped off just before I finished my first lawn mowing. It looked like it was an original belt and needed replacing anyhow.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I picked up a Husqyarna zero turn RZ4619 at an auction, has 196 hrs on it and It starts, runs ok, and cuts good. Two questions, the deck seems to ride quite low, only down about 3 notches and it cuts short enough to scalp the grass. I doubt I would ever be able to lower it all the way even on flat cement. Is there an adjustment?
Second question, The ey is a bit bent and I'd like to get a replacement. Are they all cut the same? there was a RZ4824 sitting next to mine and the keys did not turn when they got swapped by accident.
My mower has a model #965921501 if that helps

oh and the deck belt jumped off just before I finished my first lawn mowing. It looked like it was an original belt and needed replacing anyhow.
A metal ignition switch will use the Indak key https://www.amazon.com/indak-key/s?k=indak+key

The plastic ignition switch will use the delta key https://www.amazon.com/Stens-Ignition-Compatible-Replacement-Husqvarna/dp/B0B9QM1GQC

There are a few other oddball keys used but the two keys mentions covers about 98% of all mowers.

Wear and tear on various components can cause the deck to sit lower than expected. Raise the deck all the way up and see how much clearance there is between the top of the deck and the frame. Should have adjusters on the back and a rod toward the front that may make a small difference in the height of the deck. Most will have the deck tucked close to the frame but still hang low to the point that the deck will drag the ground with the height setting about in the middle. I have even seen a few were the frame sags over time and will cause lower than normal deck height.

jimvw57

Threads
I have the plastic headed key.
New belt showed up today, looking under the floor, I found the tensioner spring came disconnected. Belt still looks like it has seen better days so it will be replaced. Once it cools down outside (in the 90's from noon on today) I will check things out underneath.

I am thinking it may have carb issues, or maybe old gas, it seems to run with the choke still a bit closed and doesn't like to run at slower speeds.

jimvw57

Threads
new belt is on, spring back in place.
The deck in the full up position, I can lift it another 3-4 inches before it hits the frame. I am guessing that is not correct. With it all the way up (before changing anything) it is about where i usually cut with my old mower.

still runs best with a bit of choke, and dies when choke is all the way off.

jimvw57

Threads
Belt jumps off (new belt too) when I lower deck and start blade. Figured out the belt tension was not tight enough, and deck was too low, blades were hitting the ground on "D" setting. Filled tires up to 15 PSI and raised deck adjustment so it wasn't on the ground at 2nd from highest setting. Also tightened up the floppy wheels on the side of the deck (both sides) Now I can lower it down to "B" setting and still not shave the dirt.
Next is carb work so I can run without using the choke, If the choke is shut off, the engine dies. It also won't run at slower speeds. I suspect a plugged jet in the carb.

jimvw57

Threads
Replaced carb and now it runs like new! I probably could have rebuilt the old carb, but a replacement carb was relatively cheap so what the heck! Starts right up, runs without choke, and stays running at lower speeds. I can even drive it at lower speeds (without the blade) I am extremely pleased!!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Replaced carb and now it runs like new! I probably could have rebuilt the old carb, but a replacement carb was relatively cheap so what the heck! Starts right up, runs without choke, and stays running at lower speeds. I can even drive it at lower speeds (without the blade) I am extremely pleased!!
Many lower priced zero turn and riding mower decks are too low from factory. On level concrete, measure from blade to concrete at a couple of heights on selector and see what you get. Many decks I see will only cut around 3.5” on highest setting. Spacers can be used sometimes to raise deck height more. Most people mow too low and scalp the grass and is not healthy at all for grass.

jimvw57

Threads
The pin for the blade height when I got it (used and 23 years old) was set to scalp my lawn. I raised the deck about 1/2 inch on the the level adjustments that attach to the deck. now I can lower it further on the handle and it does go higher under the mower so it can clear more obstacles when it is not being used. (more travel) . I do like to keep my grass a bit on the longer side to keep it better looking in hot weather. Projected high today is 97 degrees..
Need to play a bit and figure out cutting on the hill in front of the house. it is small but pretty steep angle. It may not get cut with this mower. The old self propelled mower is a bear to start, and going parallel to the hill, would try to roll over at times. which is why I wanted to replace it (and I can't walk that long anyhow) old mower tok about 3 hours to cut lawn (with breaks) new mower takes about 20 mins! and starts without having to use spray and wearing out my arm from pulling. Yes it is old, abused and needed replacing. I tried new carb, new primer, plug, filter, etc. I think the motor has seen better days. it has served me well for about 25 years.

Last edited:

jimvw57

Threads
Wow I never updated this... I moved the deck up about 2 inches higher, and now it works good for my uneven lawn. I also fixed the wheels on the deck so they actually turn like they should. I ended up putting a new battery in, I wanted to wait until spring,but it wouldn't start so I could park it for the winter. I also added to the seat base frame to extend the seat farther back about 4 inches to give my legs a bit more room. It is much more comfortable now.

I used the mower to cut up the leaves in the yard and it made the 3 trailer loads of leaves I usually have down to 1 1/2 loads, which is much less work so I am happy about that. I'd still like to add a ball on the back to move my small trailer around the yard (empty) so I don't have to drive a vehicle around the house to get and put away the trailer. A job for in the spring.