Repairs New Grasshopper owner 721D

CNR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello fellow Grasshopper owners.

I am a new Grasshopper owner and I am very happy with it. I had my first experience using a 235. Very nice mid deck mower. Couldn't believe how it outperformed other mowers decades newer. This prompted my search after I purchased 7.5 acres. I found a used 721D locally and decided to buy it. Anyway I fired it up the 1998 today after checking the fluid levels, and proceeded to mow for 3 hours. I wanted to use it as is to get a sense of what it was capable of in its current state. It ran well, didn't get above 5/8th on the temp gauge, and seemed to do a good job even on the overgrown stuff.

Well now that the first impressions are made. I have a list of things I want to fix adjust and otherwise tweak. I look forward to the journey and the years of service I hope to get out of my efforts. With that said, are there any pitfalls a new owner should be watching out for?

Thanks
Christian

MBDiagMan

Threads
Welcome CNR!

I'm jealous of that diesel. I have a similar unit, a 725K2 with a Kohler, air cooled twin. It's all I could find on the used market with low hours and in good shape, so I had to grit my teeth and go with air cooled.

With a diesel, make sure you use an oil formulated for diesels. Good examples are Chevron Delo, Shell Rotella T and Mobil Delvac. They have additives especially for the specific issues dealt with in a diesel engine.

Stay up with your lubrication, with special attention paid to the carrier bearings underneath for the shaft that runs from underneath the rear of the motor to the driveshaft in the front. They are difficult to get to shoot grease in, but even more difficult to replace, so pay special attention. Don't overlook the u-joints while the grease gun is out either. The little driveshaft is not cheap. Don't over grease the spindle bearings, but keep them up.

If that jewel were mine and I did not have maintenance records, I would go through it stem to stern. Change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, anti-freeze, lubricate everything, take off the deck belt and spin the spindles to make sure they are smooth and tight, inspect the belt, check the brake adjustment and then you'll be ready to go forward with confidence. Change oil every spring and go over it well.

You have a jewel there. Take care of it and enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

CNR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for all the information Larry I appreciate it. I am planning my attack based in no small part to the information you provided.

Happy Mowing,

Christian

bobbysr

Threads
A few questions. What is a 235? How many hours are on your machine? G1 or G2?

CNR

Forum Newbie
Threads
The 235 is a typo for 225. The machine has 1408 hours on it. I have not determined g1 or g2 yet. Just got the manual from Grasshopper. Based on the serial number it is a 1997 not a 1998 as originally thought.

Thanks
Christian

bobbysr

Threads
1997 is a G1 trans. ( I use to have a 1997 725). G2 's started in 98.

173abn

Threads
I buy engine oil from TSC,use Grasshopper hydro oil which is a bit pricey but it's what Grasshopper recomends.The air filter too was pricey.Think I paid $65.00 big ones for that.I blow it out after each mowing as well as clean under the deck.You'll love the diesel,you can mow 2 to 3 times per tankful compared to a gasser....russ

MBDiagMan

Threads
Nothing wrong with oil from TSC. Just make sure you get the diesel oil for a Diesel engine. TSC has a store brand diesel oil. Although I prefer Delo, I fully expect that their store brand diesel blend will work well.

CNR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I have been out of town working and I am excited to get home and mow my yard. I think I should get some new mower deck drive belts. The ones on it are badly cracked and dry rotten. Is it best to replace them with Grasshopper brand belts or is there an aftermarket alternative that will work well?

Christian

tdeutsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Christian - I just joined the forum, too. And I just bought a mid-90s 721d with about the same hours! About your deck belts - I would say the fact that the deck belts are old enough to be dry rotted and cracked and still working is a good indicator of how the mower was treated. At least the belts weren't abused. What brand are they, if you can tell. Sounds like you'll use your mower a lot, so I bet it would make sense for you to buy the best. Just my opinion.