Export thread

New Craftsman lawnmowers

mikehouse

mikehouse

Hey,Happy 2020 Lawnworld family.I am now in the market for a new mower.I'm looking for real reviews of the new Craftsman self propelled FRONT wheel drive lawnmowers.They are now being sold in Lowe's.M series i believe.Can anybody share any info on these? I've seen models that have Briggs motors as well as Honda's.I prefer same size wheels too.

logert gogert

logert gogert

i have one, im only 13 so take my opinion lightly, but i know what im doing when it comes to yard work i have made over 1500$ last summer and had 10+ yards, everything about the motor is nice, starts right up first pull, ive probably mowed 70+ hrs and it still does not need oil, plugs ect. mine is a honda, it can cut about 3-4 in without bogging down and completely dry, i love this mower and you should consider getting it. if you have any more questions just ask

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

i have one, im only 13 so take my opinion lightly, but i know what im doing when it comes to yard work i have made over 1500$ last summer and had 10+ yards, everything about the motor is nice, starts right up first pull, ive probably mowed 70+ hrs and it still does not need oil, plugs ect. mine is a honda, it can cut about 3-4 in without bogging down and completely dry, i love this mower and you should consider getting it. if you have any more questions just ask
Just a FYI Honda specs a 50 hour oil change interval for the gcv's ;)

logert gogert

logert gogert

to be honest i rly dont know how many hrs its been but its been alot my bad

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

No harm, no foul, just looking out for you

logert gogert

logert gogert

No harm, no foul, just looking out for you
thanks man, and also, thanks for staying cool with me about the riding mower, and not losing your mind with me. i apreatiate it man :)

I

ILENGINE

Not sure about this years models but last years models were manufactured, serviced and warrantied by your local MTD dealer.

R

Romore

MTD models would likely have the Powermore engine which have not earned my confidence.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

MTD models would likely have the Powermore engine which have not earned my confidence.
I think you're right. Looks like a loose copy of GCV160.....

mikehouse

mikehouse

This is an electric start model.Big wheels in the back.Looks very good.Smooth lines,but i like same size wheels,no electric start.I didn't know there was a "270".

logert gogert

logert gogert

This is an electric start model.Big wheels in the back.Looks very good.Smooth lines,but i like same size wheels,no electric start.I didn't know there was a "270".
are wanting to get a electric start model?
i have an pull start gcv 190, sorry, i didnt know you wanted a different engine model then what mine is, so take my opinion on hwat i said with a grain of salt

tom3

tom3

i like same size wheels,no electric start.

I like the way this guy thinks. I don't know enough about the current Briggs or Honda but be patient, some very knowledgeable people are on here and one of them will see this and give you some advice.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Push mowers are all about the engines. The rest of it, is all basic stuff. The 2nd the most important part of it, besides the engine, is going to be the front trans/diff. But the chances of them going out anytime soon, is rare.

Knowing what I know about push mowers, and how easy an engine swap is, I'd take a $50 used one over and $300 new one, any day. $50 and a can of Rustoleum gloss, that is.

BTW, I'm cheap. If you're not. Then just disregard this post. lmao

R

Rivets

Just my opinion, I’ve not seen a front wheel drive Craftsman mower that has gone for more than five years with a tranny problem. Personally I don’t think that they are cost effective.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My lawn boy is going strong for 25+ years. No self propelled, no electric start. It just spins a chunk of semi sharp metal near the ground. Simple may not be better but lasts a heck of a lot longer. Only thing that has worn out is the wheels.

My lawn boy is going strong for 25+ years. No self propelled, no electric start. It just spins a chunk of semi sharp metal near the ground. Simple may not be better but lasts a heck of a lot longer. Only thing that has worn out is the wheels.
Agreed, my 15 year old MTD w/Briggs Flat Head is still doing fine. I did drill the plastic rims & bushed them them with some old stock I had.

dougand3

dougand3

Ditto. My 1994 Craftsman FWD 22" w/ Tecumseh TVS120 is still going strong. Front tires are bald and NLA. Biggest maintenance has been rebuild carb, replace head gasket and replace drive belt.

Cool.

mikehouse

mikehouse

Mine is 21-22 years old.I personally got it 6 years ago.Kept it up(carb rebuilds,blades,filters,1 belt,pulley).It was my 1st mower and it did the job well.So it's hard to NOT want to get the tranny fixed BEFORE i invest on a new one.Just wondering if anyone has fixed a tranny on 1,and is it worth it? What about replacing it with 1 of these newer models? My Lawnboy is just as old with fewer fixes,but i can't do with it(RWD) what i do with the craftsman.Thanks for the comments too.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have 3 MTD made push mowers in the shop right now. All 3 have issues with the front wheel drive. The TroyBilt needs front wheel adjuster parts that come back NLA. Another one needs a new drive assy. $150, cust says No. Going to convert to nonself propeled. Looks like i can fix one of them with new wheels. My son's Husqvarna chewed the plastic gears out of the wheels in just a few years.

FWD ? Only wheel power on mine is me..

mikehouse

mikehouse

Well,it's now Feb.5th,and yesterday it was 70+ degrees here in Greensboro,NC.Trees are already starting to bud.Feels like time is nigh on buying or repairing.I saw a Remingon 210 i like.Maybe that'll be my buy...we'll see.

tom3

tom3

I'd like to find out what kind of grass they have here in N. Florida. Looks great, never grows, no weeds. Seems to grow in sand.

Take all the fun out of lawn work, summer hot sun, 95 degrees, 90% humidity up in So. Ohio in July. Yep, fun.

I'd like to find out what kind of grass they have here in N. Florida. Looks great, never grows, no weeds. Seems to grow in sand.

Take all the fun out of lawn work, summer hot sun, 95 degrees, 90% humidity up in So. Ohio in July. Yep, fun.

I lived in SE Fla about 30 yrs, the grass always grew, year around, & because of the sand it was hard on the blades.. I don't miss it there.

mikehouse

mikehouse

FWD ? Only wheel power on mine is me..
Loolllooll

tom3

tom3

You know, generally, self propelled mowers do use different wheels on the drive and non-drivers. Even with same size and style wheels. Be ahead to get the large back wheeled mower, easier to handle I think.

mikehouse

mikehouse

To each,his own.I liked my same size wheels.