Export thread

never need to change oil

M

musiclvr56

Haven't researched this yet, but what are your thoughts about lawn mowers that never need to change the oil?

B

bertsmobile1

proof positive that people are now so engrossed with living in the fantasy world of their smart phones they have become total mechanical idiots.
Proof positive that the vested interests of the 0.5% of the population that control 90% of the wealth have succeeded in forcing governments dumbing down the education system to the point that student have become mindless consumers incapable of making a thoughtful decision

Boobala

Boobala

Better known as........ DISPOSABLE ENGINE !!

S

shiftsuper175607

Haven't researched this yet, but what are your thoughts about lawn mowers that never need to change the oil?

They came up with this bright idea to sell more mowers...
You can change the oil if you want to and make them last longer.

S

SidecarFlip

They came up with this bright idea to sell more mowers...
You can change the oil if you want to and make them last longer.

Hopefully a little longer...lol

S

SidecarFlip

proof positive that people are now so engrossed with living in the fantasy world of their smart phones they have become total mechanical idiots.
Proof positive that the vested interests of the 0.5% of the population that control 90% of the wealth have succeeded in forcing governments dumbing down the education system to the point that student have become mindless consumers incapable of making a thoughtful decision

Too bad this forum don't have a 'like' button. I'd 'like' your post about 100 times..... Spot on.:thumbsup:

P

panabiker

Is it electric?

S

SidecarFlip

It's suck, squeeze, bang and blow I'm sure.

It's a new concept, you don't change the earl, ya keep changing mowers.............................:laughing:

D

Darryl G

Not changing mower oil is something new? I thought that was SOP. :laughing:

Boobala

Boobala

Main reason is that the latest generation are dip-schitts, that have no idea what an OIL dip-stick is !! ..:thumbsup:

D

Darryl G

Is a dipstick the same as a wing nut because I get called both a lot... figured they were synonymous.

J

jp1961

Seems like the perfect mower for my wife who also has a never need to wash Toyota Camry,,,LOL!!

Regards

Jeff

I

ILENGINE

this engine caters to the 20% of the population that don't change their oil in their mower from the day they purchase it. And the design theory is supposed to have an operating period of 125 hours which for the average push mower is 10 years.

B

bertsmobile1

12.5 hours a year would be less that 1/2 hour for 26 weekly mows .
That would just cover a 1/4 block with a 50 sq house, remote garage, remote swimming pool with BBQ pergola

I

ILENGINE

12.5 hours a year would be less that 1/2 hour for 26 weekly mows .
That would just cover a 1/4 block with a 50 sq house, remote garage, remote swimming pool with BBQ pergola

Research by mower manufacturers have shown that the average homeowner push mower is run 13 hours a year and gets replaced every 3.5 years. The average riding mower is run 38 hours per year and is replaced every 4.5 years. If you add in the guys that run 200 hours a year on their riders, that would mean some don't get run very often.

S

Selluwud

Research by mower manufacturers have shown that the average homeowner push mower is run 13 hours a year and gets replaced every 3.5 years. The average riding mower is run 38 hours per year and is replaced every 4.5 years. If you add in the guys that run 200 hours a year on their riders, that would mean some don't get run very often.

It's a shame manufacturers have taken those statistics and down graded their engineering to meet them, all in the name of saving a buck, no pride involved.

Boobala

Boobala

It's a shame manufacturers have taken those statistics and down graded their engineering to meet them, all in the name of saving a buck, no pride involved.

Pride & Quality left when OSHA & the EPA got together and decided what is best for the rest of us !! .. :smiley_aafz:

J

jp1961

I respectfully disagree,,,quality left when the CEO is now a finance guy, not an engineer.

I'm fairly certain the CEO of Volkswagen and Audi are still engineers.

Regards

Jeff

B

bertsmobile1

Interesting

Down here it is 30hrs/year for a push mower and 50 for a ride on
Then again we really only have a 6 week winter and less than 5% of the population line where it snows so our mowing "season" would be a bit longer than a good part of the USA
And it would be a lot higher except the figure is a rolling 10 year average and includes drought years like this one where people would be lucky to have done 5 hours so far this year.

S

SidecarFlip

What will be interesting is watching the end game on forums like this one when those new engines exceed their time in the sun and start failing and show up on forums like this with owners wanting to find out how to repair them.... Of course the answer will be...Buy a new one...lol

B

broo

I bought one in 2015. Didn't know about the "never change the oil" feature it had. I needed a mower after my old Lawn Boy disintegrated, it was late Fall and this was about the only model available.

After a bit over a year of use, I decided to change the oil anyway. It was thick, grey molasses. I now change the oil every year.

However, it's true that the engine will probably outlive the mower despite not changing the oil.

The deck is very light, but still made of steel, so it's thin and will probably rust out soon enough.

More reason for me to keep my 13 year old 22" MTD push-mow, with a "Made in USA" Briggs Flathead. That baby doesn't skip a beat.

Mower King

Mower King

Briggs & Stratton and Kohler are both producing this engine......they said they feel most people don't change their oil anyway, just like they feel most people don't grease the zirks on mowers either........unfortunately both are true!

B

broo

Indeed, they are making disposable stuff for careless people.

"It's built cheaply but doesn't need any maintenance ! When it breaks I'll just buy a new one !"

For my part, I like keeping my stuff for a long time. I had a hard time finding the air filter for this mower. As if MTD didn't expect people to replace it. I had to resort to ebay to find some.

I plan on trying to beat the odds with this cheap mower and keep it way longer than the maker intended, provided I can still get parts to service it.