Export thread

Neighbors that cut grass beyond the property line

C

CaptFerd

What is seriously wrong with people that do this? Where the lots may be small Ive seen heads butt over a few inches of invasion. Not only do they cut your grass it seems that in most every cases its always a depth to the dirt. Ive noticed that they cut the grass several times a week. At my home the trespasser there will run the 3 mowers the weed eater the blower the chainsaw back to just driving the mower then fires up the boat. Pressure washes the Harley and the truck then blow dries them with the gas powered leaf blower. This goes on all day almost every day throughout the summer.
I have 3 properties and its a problem on all 3. One of the places involved 3 acres that was growing feed for horses. Ive noticed some similarities between the 3 trespassers.
You try not to let a little thing like grass destroy a good relationship with a person that you have to deal with on a daily basis but sometimes even confronting showing proof of where the line is they still insist on trespassing your property. The noise not much you can do there but send some back when hes resting and watching the TV.
I guess some surveys and fences are this years project. So sick of dealing with this crap as Im sure Im not alone.

sgkent

sgkent

Survey, fence or clearly marked posts would be wise here. I have known people who intentionally encroached their neighbor's property to make theirs look larger, or even try to artificially change the lot lines. I'd get a survey, take photos and see what happens. You may find that the survey markers even get moved if that was the intention.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

My ex neighbor used to mow like 20ft onto my side. I'd take him a beer when he was done. And thank him.

bkeller500

bkeller500

If you know exactly where the property line is.......just position a couple of big rocks on the lot line and mow up to the rocks each mowing. He will catch on! After he does remove the rocks.

My one neighbor can't seem to mow a straight line,. I mow @ 4" & he mows @ 1" So it is pretty comical to see his line.. like chasing a snake wiggle-wiggle.. LOL

M

MParr

Put some tuned headers on your mower for the OCD neighbor.

StarTech

StarTech

Years ago me and a couple neighbors had disagreement over how they cutting the grass along the property line that was fenced. They both just kept discharging their cutting onto the fence. I had a serious talk with both. I told if they couldn't keep from discharging grass onto the fencing that I would take over the mowing along the fence for 4-8 ft with my bush hog rotary mower. Neither had a problem with that. Matter of fact both started letting their property to overgrow afterwards but I maintain the fence line as I said I would do. No more piles of grass on the fence rusting it out prematurely. I have since moved to my current place where the the new thought he an his family could freely run their four wheelers on the back property. Again a fence made good neighbors again though I got to put up better fence (tighter grid) as my chickens keeps crossing the property line.

R

RayMcD

What is seriously wrong with people that do this? Where the lots may be small Ive seen heads butt over a few inches of invasion. Not only do they cut your grass it seems that in most every cases its always a depth to the dirt. Ive noticed that they cut the grass several times a week. At my home the trespasser there will run the 3 mowers the weed eater the blower the chainsaw back to just driving the mower then fires up the boat. Pressure washes the Harley and the truck then blow dries them with the gas powered leaf blower. This goes on all day almost every day throughout the summer.
I have 3 properties and its a problem on all 3. One of the places involved 3 acres that was growing feed for horses. Ive noticed some similarities between the 3 trespassers.
You try not to let a little thing like grass destroy a good relationship with a person that you have to deal with on a daily basis but sometimes even confronting showing proof of where the line is they still insist on trespassing your property. The noise not much you can do there but send some back when hes resting and watching the TV.
I guess some surveys and fences are this years project. So sick of dealing with this crap as Im sure Im not alone.
Move, that's my plan anyway, r

M

MParr

There’s always Roundup.

T

Tinkerer200

There may be set back requirements for instance, my subdivision calls for no permanent structure within 5 ft. of property line but neighbor put fence right on line anyway. I didn't report him as he was the Personal Rep. for a company I was trying to get on at, I did. Neighbor behind did mow a couple of feet over my line right down into the dirt as said above and crocked. Got new neighbor, will see this year. I mow 3" high.

Walt Conner

sgkent

sgkent

my subdivision calls for no permanent structure within 5 ft. of property line but neighbor put fence right on line anyway.

set backs usually don't apply to fences. They apply to buildings unless otherwise stated. Otherwise everyone with a setback requirement would need 2 fences with an easement in between if the vehicles used to mow were wider than the setback.

Refraining from discharging cuttings into neighbors property is just good mowing etiquette..

Now I'm out in the country & my Back is all fenced, but if I get my fence blasted, next mow I simply lift my chute & Blast it back to the offending neighbor..
And my rig will sling it quite far..

bkeller500

bkeller500

Bad manners do not warrant more bad manners. Have a nice conversation over a beer or a ice tea and let him know your thoughts.

W

wekjo

Shee.....it. Two houses ago I had 4 acres, front neighbor had 6 and back neighbor had a funny shaped 3 acre dogleg. Saturday morning gas up the conquest, 12 pack between my knees, a lawn mowing pill as my girlfriend called it, and engage the deck. Good times for a geezer and the only complaining I ever heard was when I moved away and they had to start mowing themselves. Yes I did go through 2 engines and one tranny but the whole mess looked better than any golf course.

R

RolandW

A few years ago the guy who was renting some of our farmland for corn, instead of planting end rows just turned around on our neighbor's soybean field after every pass. That did not go over well...

oldlawnguy

oldlawnguy

Maybe instead of a fence you could create a little flower island strip and put up some nice tall ornamental grasses which look nice and give you some privacy as well given you mentioned small lots.

T

Tdj2591

I recently had eye surgery and could not mow my lawn. We were about to call a lawn care company when to our surprise we looked out and our neighbor across the street and his 2 teenage sons were just finishing mowing and raking our yard. We rewarded them later though they did not want anything. On another occasion we were out of state when a tornado hit our town causing major destruction. It missed our house but the wind brought down some massive oak limbs and smaller trees which blocked our driveway. We later learned that the same neighbor had come over with a chain saw, cleaned everything up and drug them all to the street. It sometimes pays to be nice to your neighbors!

G

Gord Baker

Speak to them in a friendly manner first. If that does not work place a line of rocks along what you KNOW to be the Property line, or a long row of narrow patio stones on YOUR side of the line. It may be dimensioned on the deed to your property. If not, have it surveyed.
Fences make good neighbours.

O

oneoldsap

There's an old saying here in Vermont , "good fences make good neighbors" . You know , like Tim the tool man , and his neighbor , Wilson

Bad manners do not warrant more bad manners. Have a nice conversation over a beer or a ice tea and let him know your thoughts.
Very True, but after talks fail (which we had a few), one must result to actions another can't mistake.. No flower pots here, I have 1 acre, so fence I have is chain link.
And after I set my boundary w/neighbor ( verbally, mentally & physically), it was later we started becoming friends. Now if I will be gone he will mow mine & visa-versa..

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

There may be set back requirements for instance, my subdivision calls for no permanent structure within 5 ft. of property line but neighbor put fence right on line anyway. I didn't report him as he was the Personal Rep. for a company I was trying to get on at, I did. Neighbor behind did mow a couple of feet over my line right down into the dirt as said above and crocked. Got new neighbor, will see this year. I mow 3" high.

Walt Conner
I believe you either must make an issue of the fence in some locals or the property line becomes moved in accordance with the structure distance, thus you loose property if let alone. I also believe in some cases/local laws, you can claim the fence as yours with legal action or have it taken down and moved. Get local legal advise soon.

B

bertsmobile1

Maybe instead of a fence you could create a little flower island strip and put up some nice tall ornamental grasses which look nice and give you some privacy as well given you mentioned small lots.
Or some really nasty plants with very sharp thorns
OR dig your entire front yard over & turn it into a garden with a deep drainage ditch along the fence line.
Gardens actually take less effort over time than lawns do if you use a lot of prennenials & bulbs

sgkent

sgkent

I'll bet that just deep tilling that area, and watering it well would stop anyone from passing thru it. That is how a neighbor stopped a kid that used to cut across his lawn. Cost a ton to get a tow truck to pull the car out which was up to the frame in the soft dirt.

B

BohoRex

My former next door neighbor had a lazy lawn crew - so they cut it WAY shy of the line - so it appears that I'm lazy about the grass (because I mow 1-2x a month, instead of weekly like his crew) One day I was home when his crew showed up, and I asked them why they never finish that section up to the neighbor's property line.... Just me asking them - made them do a complete job on his yard when they got called out for not doing a complete job for the neighbor's money.

I really don't care - but I'm sure as heck not gonna mow his yard (unless he's got some extenuating circumstances / health or something preventing his crew from coming) - If he want's to mow mine - heck - that'd be great... lol...

The last 1/3 of my life - I am manifesting to be in a place where I don't have to worry about what neighbors do -and they don't care or worry about what I do.

oldlawnguy

oldlawnguy

Or some really nasty plants with very sharp thorns
OR dig your entire front yard over & turn it into a garden with a deep drainage ditch along the fence line.
Gardens actually take less effort over time than lawns do if you use a lot of prennenials & bulbs
:ROFLMAO: poison ivy, mouse ear hawkweed, cinquefoil, etc.

sgkent

sgkent

can of orange marking paint along the property line? Ask the guy to finish your whole yard while he is at it?

Or just make friends.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Solution, just ask the neighbor to adjust his height if he's going to mow on your side.

Solution, just ask the neighbor to adjust his height if he's going to mow on your side.
That's a great idea.. But he is into cutting Dirt.. Soon as his lawn looks decent, he cuts it to dirt..