Needing a little info on my recent barn find

Wvbowhunter79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. Not sure if this topic has been discussed before so let me apologize in advance if it has. I recently bought a farm and in the barn was this mower. Didn’t know if it would even run but decided to bring it home
and try it. I put a little gas in it, primed it and pulled less than a dozen times and it fired right up. Was actually shocked when I realized it was self propelled as well. The mower ran, pulled and cut like I had just unboxed it. I have researched it enough to know that it is a promo model 8070 and was made between 1980 and 1981. Other than that I’m not real sure what I have but do know that it is somewhat rare. Does anyone have any knowledge about this mower and what it’s possibly worth? I have no desire to keep it and would actually like to get rid of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 9EAB3EB1-8D9C-425E-9FE1-072987CE1C17.jpg5CE28CD9-2229-4542-BDC2-FD3DEABEA567.jpgEC0876D9-9431-4CFE-916B-E088BC51A885.jpgDE93F79F-02DD-4FDC-8C61-45DD1700AF7A.jpgD0C2F860-ABF8-4580-9B3C-162F5AB2E74C.jpgF405D151-F0DD-488D-B380-05F7027ECDA9.jpg

2smoked

Threads
It’s hard to say what your mower is worth. A lot may depend on the area you live in. Five years ago, I paid $50 for a model R7070-which is like your 8070, except that it is not self-propelled. Personally, I do not like the capstan drive setup that those mowers had. The good thing about your mower is that it has the F engine, which was a very good motor as long as it was reasonably cared for. My R7070 is very smooth running and easy starting and long lasting. I use it often and I just love it. As far as rarity-the only real difference with the Promo models was that the shroud, wheels, and other plastic parts where yellow and the gas cap, primer, and kill switch were black. Last summer, I picked up a mower just like yours for free. Someone hit a rock with it and bent the shaft and it also showed signs that the motor was run without oil. I grabbed it just for some of the yellow and black parts and the carb and coil. I put the shroud on my 7070 because it was in better condition than mine. There might be someone around who would want it for the yellow and black parts. If that mower was mine, I would clean it up good, check the exhaust ports for carbon blockage, throw in a new lower seal and put it out there and see what it could get. There are people out there who just like vintage Lawn Boys. Some people like them for ditch cutters because they can be run safely at an angle without the risk of oil starvation. IMO, a good F engine Lawn Boy from that era is way better than the modern throw-away junk they sell today. Hope this helps.