Need some suggestions or help -- PLEASE

KillRbee18

Threads
To All,
I have a 21 MTD 4.5 Briggs and Stratton push lawn mower. The reason why I am on here is there is something wrong with my mower. She (meaning the lawn mower) fires up every time, but I have notice that the noise from the machine fades in and out (in and out power). It seems to cut okay but the fading is bothering me; not to mention the motor is semi shaking / rattling (a hard vibration). So how did all of this come around? In the past I have ran over rocks and hard objects but just a few days ago I was mowing and I accidentally ran over a huge rut in my yard. The mower made large clingy noises and a high pitch noise from the motor; eventually the noise kind have went back to normal but now it is fading in and out (like it wants to cut out). From this cock-a-mane story can anyone tell me what they think might this be? All suggestions are welcomed!

logan01

Threads
To All,
I have a 21 MTD 4.5 Briggs and Stratton push lawn mower. The reason why I am on here is there is something wrong with my mower. She (meaning the lawn mower) fires up every time, but I have notice that the noise from the machine fades in and out (in and out power). It seems to cut okay but the fading is bothering me; not to mention the motor is semi shaking / rattling (a hard vibration). So how did all of this come around? In the past I have ran over rocks and hard objects but just a few days ago I was mowing and I accidentally ran over a huge rut in my yard. The mower made large clingy noises and a high pitch noise from the motor; eventually the noise kind have went back to normal but now it is fading in and out (like it wants to cut out). From this cock-a-mane story can anyone tell me what they think might this be? All suggestions are welcomed!

Sounds like you either bent the blade or the flywheel key may have been damaged. Also check the blade for any looseness/wobble.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Plus either a dirty carb or incorrectly adjusted governor springs causing the surging.

KillRbee18

Threads
Logan01,
I think you are right -- I have been doing some research and I too think it might be the key. This is my first time breaking in to my mower; hell this is the first time I ever done one. Is there anything I should know before jumping into it?

KillRbee18

Threads
ILENGINE,
Thank you for the information, I will clean out the carburetor but how would I know if the spring is bad? Do I just change it regardless how it looks?

KillRbee18

Threads
@ Logan01

Took a look to see if the blade was loose; which it wasn't. I'm planning to change out the blade for just the heck -- I'll see what that does for me?

Michael72

Threads
Re: @ Logan01

Best way to help with gov springs is to search in that place of many videos :)..

logan01

Threads
I would also remove the blade and check it for balance. Doesn't take much out of balance to make the mower shake. Also check the mounting of the motor to the frame. Governor problem aside, if it still wobbles I would also check the flywheel key though I would think you would detect an issue with that when pulling the rope.

KillRbee18

Threads
Thanks to all

First and foremost, thank you all for taking the time out of your busy day to respond to my issue. So today, I went out and purchased a new blade from Home Depot. I will try and put it on tomorrow or perhaps the next day. I do believe you are on the right track -- Logan01 and thank you for the information. I will reply when this mission has been complete. Take care and see you soon.

logan01

Threads
Re: Thanks to all

First and foremost, thank you all for taking the time out of your busy day to respond to my issue. So today, I went out and purchased a new blade from Home Depot. I will try and put it on tomorrow or perhaps the next day. I do believe you are on the right track -- Logan01 and thank you for the information. I will reply when this mission has been complete. Take care and see you soon.
Do it now; I'm not sleepy yet.:wink: