Need some Craftsman Mower Expertise to compare tractors

backporch

Threads
  • / Need some Craftsman Mower Expertise to compare tractors
I have a DYT4000 and GT5000. Both are 2004. I am considering switching from the DYT to the GT and would like to know more about the reliability of both mowers.

The DYT400 has an 18.5 Intek Briggs and Stratton engine with auto trans. Other than difficulty cranking at startup, it has been a reliable mower for 4 or 5 seasons now for me. The GT is new to me.

The new mower is a 25 HP Kohler V twin motor with 6 speed trans. My plans are to shop for a 48" deck and hydrostatic transmission for the GT.

Questions.
Is there any reason to worrry about the reliability of the Kohler engine? Any maintenance suggestions to keep it running strong?
Anyone know if a 48" deck was offered on the 2004 GT? It has a hanger with spring loaded pull out rear hangers clips
Is the bagger from my 42" DYT4000 compatible with a 48" deck on a GT 5000?

Really appreciate all the insight here.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Dyt means deluxe yard tractor and gt means garden tractor, referring to size. The gt5000 is much larger, has more features and higher ease of use. Anything would be better than the engine in the dyt4000. I personally have had a gt5000 and it was great! Still runs great today, at 1200 hours :0

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Dyt means deluxe yard tractor and gt means garden tractor, referring to size. The gt5000 is much larger, has more features and higher ease of use. Anything would be better than the engine in the dyt4000. I personally have had a gt5000 and it was great! Still runs great today, at 1200 hours :0
Change the oil very frequently and always run at max rpm. You will have to see yourself if the deck or bagger are compatible with the gt. Look under both and understand how the lift mechanism works and where the mounting points are. If they are the same, they are exchangeable. Same with the bagger, if the mount points are in the same location, you should be good to go

backporch

Threads
I would expect an annual oil change and filter to be normal maintenance but I know not everyone does that. Max rpm I have heard mentioned before and is good advice

As for the bagger mount my 42” deck discharge definitely doesn’t fit the gt5000’s 53” deck. Hopefully a 48 does. Won’t know until I have one to check

my deck mount is unique in that it has a spring loaded rear clip. Don’t think that was used for that many years

backporch

Threads
I would expect an annual oil change and filter to be normal maintenance but I know not everyone does that. Max rpm I have heard mentioned before and is good advice

As for the bagger mount my 42” deck discharge definitely doesn’t fit the gt5000’s 53” deck. Hopefully a 48 does. Won’t know until I have one to check

my deck mount is unique in that it has a spring loaded rear clip. Don’t think that was used for that many years
I wonder how easy it would be to transfer the whole deck adjustment mechanism from the frame so I can transfer over a donor deck as well as it’s raise and lower mechanism

backporch

Threads
I wonder how easy it would be to transfer the whole deck adjustment mechanism from the frame so I can transfer over a donor deck as well as it’s raise and lower mechanism
I found a used 2003 GT5000 with 48" deck and hydro transmission. Pretty sure the transmission will be able to be swapped with the linkage and belt

The deck looks like it needs to also have the arms that lift and lower the deck moved between the tractors.

I continued to look into baggers. I compared the parts for my 54" deck and the donor 48" deck just to see how specific the parts were. Only the lower part of the buckets and the mount to the rear of the tractor are shared. The chute parts, upper cover, support frame and bin uppers are different. Finding a compatible grass catcher might be difficult