Need socket to remove oil plug

rkode

Threads
Good Saturday morning all.
I HOPE this is the correct place to post this.

Here's the deal.

When I change the oil in my rider (with a Briggs engine) I use a 7/16 open end wrench.
What I would like, is to use a socket of some sort, instead of an open end wrench.
Why ?
I have arthritis pretty badly in my hands and a socket with an extension would make the oil change task a whole lot easier for me.

I have been "looking" for some time now for just such a socket.
I guess, it would have to have a female opening on each end.
One side for an extension or ratchet and the other side to fit over the oil plug itself.

I have read a lot of posts suggesting various sizes of sockets that should do the trick but, simply put, they don't fit.
(6 point and 8 point and such.)

I have also been looking on various Internet sites with the hopes of finding such a socket but I have not been able to locate one.

I've been to Ace hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's, eBay and Amazon so far.
I can find all the replacement oil plugs that anyone could want, but no sockets.

I just know this kind of socket is out there somewhere.

If anyone knows where I might purchase such a thing, I would be much obliged if you could share it.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might find fitting a current model extension tube with pull off cap will suit you better
They simply screw into the hole where the drain plug used to go then clip up near the blower housing
Added benefit is no mess oil changes

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The socket you are looking for is call a double box or eight point socket. I’ve got three different sizes in my tool box. Mine are from Snap-On, but if you do a google search for eight point socket, you should be able to locate the size you want.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the animal I was thinking of so the nipple ( adapter to some ) is a stand alone part #796532

Last edited:

gotomow

Threads
You might need a "square" socket or a "star 8pt." socket to fit on that proper. They come in various sizes, you are better off going to a real hardware store or a real mower dealer, not big box.

Attachments

• GRE1010FP_1200Wx1200H.jpg
    GRE1010FP_1200Wx1200H.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1