Need help with rewire project.

ksmathews97

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1990 Dixon ZTR 428 and the wiring had a short and burnt up. There was no damage to the mower just the wiring. Dixon no longer sales the wiring loom for this and I need help rewiring of getting advice where to look. I can look the schematics up on line but I do not know how to read or decipher these. its all in black and white and I am not sure what color wires go to what?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
mathews, Tricky, but doable. It would seem remnant wiring is still visible? I would patiently note the orig and termination points , if possible, of all components. Take pictures before stripping out the looms. Note the wire gauges (consult wire charts on line giving gauge based upon number of wire strands). Note all fluses. Schematics should give color and often gauge. Often origin wires will change color during routing. This is a little scary, but can be done. Solder and shrink tubing where possible. Best, of course, is a new or replacement loom. Maybe members will give this request a second look.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just had the same thing on a older ATV this pass summer. I cut the old harness apart still on the machine. I just replaced the burned wires one at a time. Just have to be careful as to what got burned up inside the harness. Also find the cause of the problem. I also match color when I replace a wire as close as I can. I put the old harness back together with tie raps and black electrical tape. The customer has been running this ATV for some time now and still going strong.

upnorth

Threads
I would first try to find out what burned it up in the first place, then I'd make a note of what colors are used from the old harness.
Home Depot or Lowes sells 18 gauge wire, so buy about ten feet of each color.
get a box of push on spade terminals or ring tongue terminals and a staking plier.
If your mower uses MOLEX connectors, then a box of "blue" butt splices will work.
Larger wire like for the starter main cable will be a minimum of 8 gauge with the ring tongue terminals. Use RED color for this.

I went to the DIXON site and found your mower. Here is the URL: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/pdf_documents/Dixon/428_parts_manual_1990.pdf

Scroll through the pages. On the wiring diagram they give reference to numbers for the wiring harness.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
mathews, Crimp can be good. Solder is good. Get some shrink tube and use it on the solder joints. HFrt has it. If you are lost about original fusing use in-line fuses. Match the fuses to the wire ga. Cheap ebay or rock auto misc parts section. Good luck.