need help with JD X540 mower belt

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here are blowups from JD, I think tht if you install the deck and belt to the engine, it won't rub..

Attachments

• jd x540.jpg
    jd x540.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 5
  • x540.gif
    x540.gif
    27 KB · Views: 5

JBBILS28L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are blowups from JD, I think tht if you install the deck and belt to the engine, it won't rub..

Thanks for the schematics, Fish. I've re-assembled it according to the diagram, so that's my hope now- that when I re-attach it to the PTO all my problems will go away. I'm doing maintenance to the tractor now, so won't be re-attaching the mower till I'm done with that. Thanks for the help.

redfish9

Threads
On my deere the belt does rub unengaged but when you engage it ,the belt will pull off the bracket

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the schematics, Fish. I've re-assembled it according to the diagram, so that's my hope now- that when I re-attach it to the PTO all my problems will go away. I'm doing maintenance to the tractor now, so won't be re-attaching the mower till I'm done with that. Thanks for the help.

So you will be cutting some grass this week?

JBBILS28L

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you will be cutting some grass this week?

Probably not this week. We have 10" of snow on the ground and are forecast to go below 0º for the next two nights. Hopefully next week though.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

JBBILS28L

Forum Newbie
Threads
On my deere the belt does rub unengaged but when you engage it ,the belt will pull off the bracket

Thanks for that, redfish9. With help like this, I've become confident that I have no problem, and never did. It was pretty disconcerting to get it all back together though, and see that belt rubbing!

JBBILS28L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a follow-up in case somebody has this same problem and has found this thread. With the mower reassembled, the belt was rubbing on the deck mounting bracket. As redfish9 suggested, when I put the mower back on the tractor and put the primary drive belt to the engine back on the mower, it pulled the belt tighter. The belt is now more than an inch from the bracket. Thanks all for your help.