Need help with B&S 8HP on GiantVac

Gasfumes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have an 8HP B&S on a Giant Vac blower. Rebuilt LMT190 carburetor, good spark. It will not start. Compression good, no stuck valves. The only thing I can figure is that the throttle and or governor set up is wrong. It came to me not running and I suspect that the owner had attempted to work on it before. It has an external fuel pump, and the carb bowl is full of fuel. Any suggestions?
Engine: 19G402 1165 E1, maybe 196402 1165 E1

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you even tried squirting a little fuel in the cylinder to see if will hit?

BTW both model type numbers are valid so you need to determine which is correct for the engine you are working on.
1667040913358.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked the flywheel key to make sure it isn't damaged or sheared.

Gasfumes

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine seems to want to start with starting fluid through the spark plug hole. I may have flooded it, will try again with less fluid. Does not start with a shot through the carb. I don't see how the flywheel key could be sheared; it's a leaf blower - no way to hit the massive flywheel like a mower blade. I guess it's possible. Looking at tag again, it appears to be 196402 1165 E1.
I am suspecting a bad valve. I have no history of this machine. They told me it ran (Ha! Yes, it did at some point, but when was the last time? Who knows?) Thank you for help!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since someone else may have been messing with engine check the valve clearances. It maybe an intake valve problem as the engine should hit if the valves are working right with a shot thru the carburetor.

Gasfumes

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm gonna pull off the recoil cover tomorrow and check the key and keyway. Any more than that is beyond my desire to fix this thing.