Need help finding an oil leak on a 25hp briggs and stratton

stang8689

Threads
  • / Need help finding an oil leak on a 25hp briggs and stratton
I recently bought a 99 Troy built 54inch cut and 25hp briggs and stratton engine. I love the mower and it runs great but it does have an oil leak. It is a slow leak so im assuming its a seal or a gasket. It leaks pretty much dead center under the engine on the ground. I see most of the sludge from leaking on the left/drivers side of the engine. I don't know much about these engines so I am wondering what are the possibilities. It does not appear to be the valve cover so anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thanks

noma

Threads
Stang 8689

you could look and see if its coming from a oil drain plug or something like that? Maybe the person you got it from just changed the oil or oil filter and didn't get the plug tight or closed all the way i would do some checking there first a easy fix maybe good luck:licking:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
Get a roll of paper towels and a can of spray break clean...
clean the underside well and then check for fresh oil build up... could be the main seal on the crank shaft... clean it up & you will have no trouble finding it's source.. .:smile:KennyV

stang8689

Threads
I did change the oil and the filter and drain plug are not leaking, what else could it be leaking from? It looks like it's right where the pulley mounts to the engine

jeff

Threads
That would likely be the crankshaft oil seal, pretty simple to fix if you have no trouble removing the pulley and clutch.

benski

Threads
+2 on jeff's guess. I'll vote for a crank seal as well. Be sure to clean out everything really well, and maybe polish up the snout on the crank with some green Scotch-brite pad before installing the new seal. I also put some clean oil on the cleaned snout to make sure I don't tear the new seal.:wink::smile:

stang8689

Threads
well it's actually the crankcase gasket, I can see exactly where it's coming from, I went ahead and pulled the engine off the tractor to make it easier. Now do I remove the crank pulley? Do I need to rent a puller? I am guessing I should also replace the crank seal while im at it, is there any thing else I should be rplacing while it's all apart