Need advice for going into Dana transaxle...

Peva

Threads
I messed up. This is on my Wizard/AYP (same as Crarftsman) 16 horse 42" deck AYP7167A39 mower - vintage 1993/94.

I just bought new rear tires, and figured it would be easier to take the rear wheels off the axles and take them to Walmart or someplace to have the old tires removed and new ones put on rather than try to do it by hand with the wheels on.

Long story short, I saw two holes in the wheel, apparently put there for using a puller. I happen to have a slide hammer, so I decided to use that to get the wheels off. The right side wheel came off fairly easily and quickly with the slide hammer. The left side one was stubborn (apparently rusted to the axle) - I tried a steering wheel puller and the slide hammer - no joy. I had to slam it pretty hard. I was a little worried about the tranny case breaking. Good news is that it didn't break. Bad news is that the axle came loose inside, and started coming out with the wheel. No doubt the retainer ring that holds the shaft to the miter gear sheared or otherwise popped off the end of the shaft.

So that's my dilemma. I've never been inside the transaxle of one of these things, and am not looking forward to it (and I'm 61 years old, and have always worked on my own cars and lawnmowers - just not enjoying doing this kind of stuff like I used to). :frown:

What I'm looking for is advice on the simplest way to get the job done as far as whether to remove the transaxle and work on it off the machine, or can I split the case with it in place and get to the parts I need to - any advice on how to attack that? Also - how to prevent a bunch of parts (gears, shafts, etc.) from falling out if I don't have things turned the right way gravity-wise, and is there an order of disassembly that would be advisable that I might not figure out on my own?

Also - when putting the case halves back together, should I use a sealer on the joint, and if so, what is recommended for that? What type of oil/grease to put into it (and how much to put in, and where/how to put it in)?

Any other parts I should order and replace while in there. Anything to inspect?

For reference, I have attached the Dana transaxle blowup sketch and the 2 pages of the part numbers that go with it from the AYP parts pdf file. Pretty sure that the retainer ring, Item 56, popped loose - at least that's what I hope that it is, and it makes sense that it would be (please please please! rather than something actually broken).

It would be understandable if you said to scrap the mower at this age, but just last year, I put several hundred dollars into replacing the front axle, front tires, and steering shaft and gear, and having the frame around the front axle welded and beefed up, and the V-Twin Briggs runs like new. Except for this new problem that I created, it is close to perfect and has a *lot* of years left in it.

Would anybody advise me to try to pick up a used axle? If so, where? I'm pretty good at finding new parts for this thing on the internet even though many have gone obsolete, but I figure a new axle assembly would be extremely cost prohibitive, assuming it is still available.

I do appreciate any advice, and especially pointers on getting into the transaxle, getting the pieces put back together, and closing it up without everything falling out on the ground.

Attachments

• AYP-MODEL-AYP7167A39-PARTS-LIST44 copy.jpg
    AYP-MODEL-AYP7167A39-PARTS-LIST44 copy.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 30
  • AYP-MODEL-AYP7167A39-PARTS-LIST45 copy.jpg
    AYP-MODEL-AYP7167A39-PARTS-LIST45 copy.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 15
  • AYP-MODEL-AYP7167A39-PARTS-LIST46 copy.jpg
    AYP-MODEL-AYP7167A39-PARTS-LIST46 copy.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 14

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will need to remove the tranny from mower because screws holding halves together are on top. The case will be sealed with either a black or grey RTV sealant and can be stubborn to separate. You should replace items 22 shift keys, item 52 and 72 seals, and the item 73 grease. Just take your time and things should go smoothly.

The one thing you will have to watch will be putting the differential back in because if it is one tooth off the case will not go back together correctly or wil bind when tightened down. When done put tranny in gear and turn input shaft by hand and make sure everthing turns freely, just keep in mind that if shifted into a higher gear the input may turn with some resistance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look carefully at parts 19 & 23. They are bronze bushings which have small locator edges on them if they are not put in correctly the halves will not go together tightly and if you force them something will break. Agree replace shift keys. Also be careful many of the part edges are very sharp.

Peva

Threads
Thanks so much ILENGINE and Rivets for the expert advice, precautions, etc.

I will order the recommended parts.

Will use black RTV on the seam. About the grease - a common gear oil from the auto parts store, or something special to order? Maybe it will be obvious once I'm into it, but is there a hole in the top of the case with a plug to put the grease in? What about amount - is there a level mark, or do I put in a certain measured amount?

I will post back if questions arise and when done to let y'all know how it went. It likely will be weekend after this coming one.

Any other advice? Bring it on.

What a great resource you guys are! :thumbsup::thumbsup: You've raised my confidence.