Export thread

Need a riding mower...1 acre, hilly and steep inclines

Elusiv

Elusiv

I have a Craftsman YTS3000 which is now parked in my driveway. Transmission went out completely. The unit is about 10-12 years old and was free so I am going to replace it.

I need something that can handle hills/inclines pretty well and I also need to be able to pull a Brinley lawn Sweeper. My budget is $2,000. I've been looking at a Cub Cadet XT2 46" 24hp model which I think I can get for that price but I have ZERO clue if I am getting the best bang for my buck.

Thanks,

David

BlazNT

BlazNT

Dollar for dollar you are always going to get more if you stay away from Cub Cadet, John Deere, and alike. Look at equipment like Poulan, Husqvarna and others. You will always get more for your money from the mower guys trying to compete with the bigger companies.

Elusiv

Elusiv

Thanks for the advice. Brand name by and large doesn't mean that much to me as long as I am getting quality.

One thing I am not sure that I should be concerned about or not...the transmission. I may have flat out killed the YTS3000 because I was pulling the lawn sweeper during the previous cut and it may have had too much weight in it (not sure). I take negative reviews I read online with a grain of salt so I am not sure if I should put any stock in the tuff torq k46 comments.

Moving into a "garden tractor" looks to add about $1,000 onto my budget for a heavier gauge transmission. But I am also limited to a 42" or 46" deck (shed doors are 60" wide) and most of the garden tractor are 50" cut or greater (total width of about 60". So I am not sure I can actually get a full fledged garden tractor. That said, the k46 is pretty much in everything as far as I can tell. Is this something I should even be concerned about? Or are certain brands/designs known to be better able to deal with this?

BlazNT

BlazNT

The K46 is a light weight rear end. It should be able to handle around 300 lbs including the driver.

Elusiv

Elusiv

The K46 is a light weight rear end. It should be able to handle around 300 lbs including the driver.

Ya, that was probably my issue with the craftsman...im 180 and I easily had 70-80 lbs. of grass plus the weight of the brinley.

Any suggestions on equipment that might have a better transmission?

BlazNT

BlazNT

I do like Husqvarna's so take this with a grain of salt. I DO not like any MTD product but that is just me.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/gt48xlsi/960430177/
48" deck
K66 rear end with locking diff.
$3400.00

Carscw

Carscw

For $2000 I feel the best mower in this price range is a cub cadet.
I like husqvarna but still feel the cub is better mower in the $2000 price range.
I got one a couple years ago for $1500 at tractor supply. I have pictures on here of it cutting 4 foot tall weeds. I put 900 hours on it and sold it for $750
Never had to replace the drive belt

BlazNT

BlazNT

This is why people come here for help. Lots of opinions to help make a decision.

NorthBama

NorthBama

I agree with BlazNT. I think the Husqvarna is a better built machine. Just my opinion

Carscw

Carscw

What ever you do just stay away from junkdeere's.

To be honest in this price range just get the mower that you like the looks of and is comfortable to sit on.
But with your hills and pulling a sweeper I would stay away from the hydro drive.

Elusiv

Elusiv

I can pick up a last year's model yta24v48 for $1600 (-$400 list). I'm definitely leaning towards getting it. Thoughts?

Elusiv

Elusiv

ended up buying it. got another $100 and went ahead and made the purchase. $1,588 for the yta24v48 out the door.

P

Pumper54

If you still have the old mower, you might think about replacing the transmission on it and using it as a "run around" tractor to do the stuff you don't want to do with the new mower. Not sure how much a new tranny would run you but I bet it would only be a couple hundred max.

Tom

Elusiv

Elusiv

...already on craigslist...selling for parts.

Elusiv

Elusiv

Guess some deals are too good to be true. Unit showed up with a flat tire and "as is" stamped all over the paperwork. Refused delivery. Looks like I am back to shopping.

Elusiv

Elusiv

So I'm trying to narrow the options a bit. Seems like I keep leaning towards Husqvarna and will buy it from an authorized dealer (my experience with Lowes yesterday drove that home).

The two main models I am considering are:
1) YTA24v48 - Transmission is from General Transmission (Fast CVT), B&S Engine Intek, max speed 7.5 mph, this one also has nose rollers, greasable mandrels and 4 antiscalp wheels, seat with armrests

2) YTH18k46 - Turff Torg k46 transmission, Kawasaki Engine FR Series, max speed 5.5 mph, does not have nose rollers, greasable mandrels, has 2 antiscalp wheels, no armrests

When I was looking through some of this, I also looked at the comparable cub cadet model(s). The XT2 Lx46 seemed to be the closest. Kohler engine vtwin 7000 series, quick release deck, wider turn radius, nice seat. But with all the MTD comments I kinda dismissed them (not sure if it matters at this price point).

My gut tells me the Kawasaki engine is probably better than the B&S. Transmission wise...the Fast CVT may be better (not sure but there were lots of negatives of the tuff torq).

Craftsman seems to be priced about +$200-$400 on comparable equipment. People said to steer clear of JD. And authorized non-box store dealers...I'm only finding Cub Cadet and Husqvarna close by.

Thoughts?

BlazNT

BlazNT

YTA24v48 looks like the best deal to me.

Carscw

Carscw

Still I would go with the cub.
I have never heard of any mower made by mtd have a transaxle fail.

I love their drive set up.

Carscw

Carscw

I did have a husquvara yth 24-48 and loved it
But that was years ago when they still made mowers to last

J

jimpc

So I'm trying to narrow the options a bit. Seems like I keep leaning towards Husqvarna and will buy it from an authorized dealer (my experience with Lowes yesterday drove that home).

The two main models I am considering are:
1) YTA24v48 - Transmission is from General Transmission (Fast CVT), B&S Engine Intek, max speed 7.5 mph, this one also has nose rollers, greasable mandrels and 4 antiscalp wheels, seat with armrests

2) YTH18k46 - Turff Torg k46 transmission, Kawasaki Engine FR Series, max speed 5.5 mph, does not have nose rollers, greasable mandrels, has 2 antiscalp wheels, no armrests

When I was looking through some of this, I also looked at the comparable cub cadet model(s). The XT2 Lx46 seemed to be the closest. Kohler engine vtwin 7000 series, quick release deck, wider turn radius, nice seat. But with all the MTD comments I kinda dismissed them (not sure if it matters at this price point).

My gut tells me the Kawasaki engine is probably better than the B&S. Transmission wise...the Fast CVT may be better (not sure but there were lots of negatives of the tuff torq).

Craftsman seems to be priced about +$200-$400 on comparable equipment. People said to steer clear of JD. And authorized non-box store dealers...I'm only finding Cub Cadet and Husqvarna close by.

Thoughts?

The 48" is available at Lowe's. Here's a link to a 10% off coupon. If the one that propagates doesn't work just refresh the page. The guys figured out Lowe's algorithm for their coupons.

http://renovopower.com/lowes10percent.php

Also, crafstmans are up to 25% off right now. The pricing stacks with the 10% off coupons you can get on ebay for about 10 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-off-your...988087?hash=item2ef28f86f7:g:TJIAAOSwy5ZXCdwF

Just some food for thought.

I happen to have a YT42DXLS Kawasaki variant on order. Dealer only but he gave me a price of $2399 which no one else would touch.

Elusiv

Elusiv

Sorry if I am posting too much and being annoying...Im really not trying to be.

So the box store that was giving me a deal. I called them back to make sure the charge was reversed and ended up speaking to a manager. The manager was ticked when they heard what happened and offered to give me a new unit from a crate. Said they would oversea the unpacking and setup and would sell me the Husqvarna yta24v48 personally and have it delivered to my house for the price I was going to pay for last years model ($1,500); retail is $1,999. I might even be able to work a way where I can be there when they un-crate it and set it up.

I don't expect the box store to do anything after the purchase really. The warranty is with Husqvarna so if I had any issues I would just go to a Husqvarna service dealer anyway (thats where the box store would send it).

For that, I guess I could buy the extended warranty for $200 (or ask for it) or just sock the money away if and when I have a problem. Unless there is a reason like "Huqsvarna from a box store are made with different parts" I think I should be good to go.

Carscw

Carscw

Sorry if I am posting too much and being annoying...Im really not trying to be. So the box store that was giving me a deal. I called them back to make sure the charge was reversed and ended up speaking to a manager. The manager was ticked when they heard what happened and offered to give me a new unit from a crate. Said they would oversea the unpacking and setup and would sell me the Husqvarna yta24v48 personally and have it delivered to my house for the price I was going to pay for last years model ($1,500); retail is $1,999. I might even be able to work a way where I can be there when they un-crate it and set it up. I don't expect the box store to do anything after the purchase really. The warranty is with Husqvarna so if I had any issues I would just go to a Husqvarna service dealer anyway (thats where the box store would send it). For that, I guess I could buy the extended warranty for $200 (or ask for it) or just sock the money away if and when I have a problem. Unless there is a reason like "Huqsvarna from a box store are made with different parts" I think I should be good to go.

Good deal.
The mower is made the same for the box store as it is for a dealer. Made at the same place by the same people.