My tractor will not start and have tried many things

jmarelt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsmans ltx100 18hp 42" cut. It ran fine last year but didn't want to start this year. I have got a new battery, new starter, and new solenoid. Not sure why it is not wanting to start or even try to start. When I turn the key to the position for the lights to be on, I hear a clocking sound. It sounded like it was coming from the solenoid and that is why I went and got a new one. Also, the headlights do turn on so it is getting power just no crank. Can someone please help me out. I saw that there was another member that had a similar problem that made a posting a few posts before this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am assuming that your are getting a clicking sound from the solenoid area, and will not turn over the engine. I would start by checking and cleaning the battery connections, and the ground connection where it connects to the frame. If the new battery is good, most likely bad connection some place. Now if it doesn't do anything then we have other things to look at.

jmarelt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am assuming that your are getting a clicking sound from the solenoid area, and will not turn over the engine. I would start by checking and cleaning the battery connections, and the ground connection where it connects to the frame. If the new battery is good, most likely bad connection some place. Now if it doesn't do anything then we have other things to look at.

You would be correct. I cleaned all the connections and still nothing.

Mikel1

Threads
Did you check and make sure your connections are tight?

X-man

Threads
Could also be a bad kill switch. A lot of times if a wire is bad by the pto lever, seat or clutch, it will stop the tractor from cranking. Tractors have kill switches all over the place.

Sometimes the ground wire under my seat gets loose, and the tractor will randomly shut down. Re-inserting the wire typically fixes it. Make sure all your connections are tight.