Export thread

My Scag Liberty getting prepped to sleep till spring.

After last mow I did the oil & filter change.
Then days later put my Z up on the wheel dollys I park on, so I can slide it out when I want to tinker on it.

Today removed the blades & soaked them in a drain pan with water. 1/2 hour later I wiped the blades clean. No fuss no muss, the water does the work of softening the grass build up. Cleaned the underside of the deck... When I get back to it I'll put on the spare blades. Then later sharpen the OE blades & balance.

Next gotta pull the blower housing, & make sure all is clean & serene. Only 31.5 hours on.

Also put extra air in tires, due to them sitting in place till spring. And next get the the spare blades on.. And battery minder.

Spare blades installed today, & a good coat of wax on the deck only for now.

Since the oil & filter change, my Z has been sitting & I just noticed a wet oil weep on the cheap poly-plastic (sic) oil drain nipple end.Kaw cheap Oil drain.jpgAs pictured.. Always hated that cheap drain, had same on my former Toro w/same Kaw engine as well. So for now I pushed a silicone end cap on the nipple.

Then ordered the OE 16" Flex drain line from Kawasaki. With steel braided internal line, with Brass ends. Should have came this way, but whatever. Kaw OE Drain hose (2).jpgKaw Oil drain hose.jpg

Always hated the poly-plastic drain, fearing I'd break it or something. If the cap I put on does not leak when running, so far hasn't in testing. I may leave it till next oil change, since I just did oil change for end of season.

I guess I must'a tightened the 10mm drain bolt a bit too snug, causing the weep. Arrrgh. Anyhow the long hose will be much easier to do oil changes.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

You've got to control yourself buddy.... don't go all gorilla strength tightening those fasteners with your bear like muscles.....🤪😜😜

You've got to control yourself buddy.
Yea Scrub, I can be my own worst enemy at times. Costing me money & time.. I have wanted to upgrade the drain since I bought the former Toro back in 2014. So my Scag will get the upgrade sooner or later, the new OE hose is here.

hand tighten.jpg Easy does it on tightening.... LOL

Ferd Turgeson

Ferd Turgeson

Soaking mower blades in water to soften the grass build up - I swear. Just plain water? Dry grinding the grass build up off mower blades before I sharpen ranks right up there with a sharp stick in the eye with me. Pray tell.

Soaking mower blades in water to soften the grass build up - I swear. Just plain water?
Try it, ya might like it.. No breathing all the grass particulates either from grinding them off..My blades fit in one of my oil drain pans, so only 1 gal of water covers all 3 of them together..

No more blade cleaning with grinder for me.

Ferd Turgeson

Ferd Turgeson

You can bet I will try it out. Maybe a splash or two of purple power or simple green too for good measure. Great Handy hint.

You can bet I will try it out
Cool, I thought of Purple stuff as well, but the water is all it needs for me anyhow.. So that was saved for other jobs.

I even clean up my outside mower decks with spray bottle of water & 2 drops of Dawn dish soap.. Wipe clean & then a good coat of wax ...

Ferd Turgeson

Ferd Turgeson

Dawn is good stuff - I use a lot of it. I'll give that a swirl too. The degreasers can dull the paint if left on too long. Please don't ask how I know that.

R

RayMcD

Since the oil & filter change, my Z has been sitting & I just noticed a wet oil weep on the cheap poly-plastic (sic) oil drain nipple end.View attachment 63342As pictured.. Always hated that cheap drain, had same on my former Toro w/same Kaw engine as well. So for now I pushed a silicone end cap on the nipple.

Then ordered the OE 16" Flex drain line from Kawasaki. With steel braided internal line, with Brass ends. Should have came this way, but whatever. View attachment 63343View attachment 63344

Always hated the poly-plastic drain, fearing I'd break it or something. If the cap I put on does not leak when running, so far hasn't in testing. I may leave it till next oil change, since I just did oil change for end of season.

I guess I must'a tightened the 10mm drain bolt a bit too snug, causing the weep. Arrrgh. Anyhow the long hose will be much easier to do oil changes.
Maybe this is of interest, here's a metal version, https://www.mfgsupply.com/23-12112.html Cheers, Ray

R

RayMcD

Here's metal version that looks promising, https://www.mfgsupply.com/23-12112.html

r

That still has 1 tiny 0-ring in the end. (like poly-plastic drain ) & to install it, you need to loosen engine bolts & raise it to rotate drain with hose barb..
I'll pass, the hose is what I prefer.

Dawn is good stuff - I use a lot of it. I'll give that a swirl too. The degreasers can dull the paint if left on too long. Please don't ask how I know that.
Dawn is great degreasing helper, but if washing other stuff, Joy is great, I use that when washing the house, with 1/4 of cheap bleach. ..

Mine is out of hibernation & have done 2 mows so far.

And since late October of '23 it is back in hibernation. We have been a mean drought, so grass went dormant very early.. So I'm at only 50.0 hours. Cleaned the Hydros thoroughly / serviced them & purged, & tested it for 1/2 hour, next day check oil levels. .
And did the spark plugs check up, air filters, grease all. Check fasteners & bolts etc for tightness. Remove blower housing & check engine for cleanness.

I just do a lil here & there as time permits. Today run engine to heat up the oil & drain it. Then put my mower up on the wheel dollys, & when I get back at it, will add that oil drain hose(finally), & fill with fresh oil & filter.... Still gotta drop the blades, spray the underside of deck. Then throw on the cleaned /sharpened & balanced OE blades. Clean / sharpen & balance the Oregon blades ( I really like them).. And then do a lil cleaning, & everything else I forgot.. LOL

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

You're gonna have the cleanest scag this side of the Mississippi.......or something like that 🤣

H

Honest Abe

And since late October of '23 it is back in hibernation. We have been a mean drought, so grass went dormant very early.. So I'm at only 50.0 hours. Cleaned the Hydros thoroughly / serviced them & purged, & tested it for 1/2 hour, next day check oil levels. .
And did the spark plugs check up, air filters, grease all. Check fasteners & bolts etc for tightness. Remove blower housing & check engine for cleanness.

I just do a lil here & there as time permits. Today run engine to heat up the oil & drain it. Then put my mower up on the wheel dollys, & when I get back at it, will add that oil drain hose(finally), & fill with fresh oil & filter.... Still gotta drop the blades, spray the underside of deck. Then throw on the cleaned,sharpened & balanced OE blades. Clean / sharpen & balance the Oregon blades ( I really like them).. And then do a lil cleaning, & everything else I forgot.. LOL
and, don't forget get to do the required 50 hours "Tires Air Change", remove the valve cores and release all the current old stagnant air, then replace with fresh 100% Pure Outside Air, you can't go wrong with that stuff..... Oh ya, I appreciate anyone who takes proper care of their equipment - just bust'n on ya :ROFLMAO: ... Happy Holidays !

(y)

and, don't forget get to do the required 50 hours "Tires Air Change"
I almost forgot about that, thanks for the reminder...........:LOL:

You're gonna have the cleanest scag this side of the Mississippi.......or something like that 🤣
Thanks man, I try.. Early on I was taught to take care of the equipment, & everything for that matter..

OK, recent warm up in temps here. So I got my Liberty cleaned up & will be starting to do the waxing.. Good it is a "Black Out Edition". The Black is like wrinkle finish, so mainly just the deck will get waxed. The rims are still super clean & heavily waxed.

R

RayMcD

OK, recent warm up in temps here. So I got my Liberty cleaned up & will be starting to do the waxing.. Good it is a "Black Out Edition". The Black is like wrinkle finish, so mainly just the deck will get waxed. The rims are still super clean & heavily waxed.
So are you actually using wax or a ceramic product? I for one have started using Mequiar's Hybrid Ceramic on everything now if nothing else for the ease of taking it off. If it's good enough for the cars I believe it's good enough for my mower.. Cheers, Ray

Ray- Yea good stuff, I use ceramic on the Harleys.

But the mowers get old fashioned Rain Dance.. *(Discontinued decade ago) I bought all the stock an old store had. . But I can put it on & not take it off till spring. I even store chrome parts coated in Rain Dance & 10 years later easily remove the wax..

R

RayMcD

Ray- Yea good stuff, I use ceramic on the Harleys.

But the mowers get old fashioned Rain Dance.. *(Discontinued decade ago) I bought all the stock an old store had. . But I can put it on & not take it off till spring. I even store chrome parts coated in Rain Dance & 10 years later easily remove the wax..
LA, I was also a fan of Rain Dance before the ceramic stuff appeared. Cool Beans, Ray

Yea, I'm on the the last can, mostly empty of the of Rain Dance.. :cry:

Likely Ceramic when this last can is empty for my mow stuff..

Well after airing my tires to spec, I took my Z off the wheel dolly's & have it ready for action, I believe.
Which may be sooner than usual.