Export thread

My Hustler Raptor stopped suddenly and wont start.

E

elizarrj

Hello,

I have a Hustler Raptor with a 21.5 hp Kawasaki engine. My son was mowing and a branch pulled out what appears to be a black ground wire. I put the wire back in where I think it was pulled out from and it started for about two minutes and then the tractor died instantly. When I try to start the engine, the starter just turns the engine but the engine won't run. I hope that makes sense. Not sure what else is wrong. I am attaching a photo of the wires. Any ideas what I should look at next.

John

Attachments

cpurvis

cpurvis

If those two wires are joined together, you have a direct short to ground. You can't have a power wire and a ground wire connected to the same terminal.

cpurvis

cpurvis

What is the item I circled in red? Is it a connector that the green wire got pulled out of?

Annotation 2019-06-04 130246.jpg

E

elizarrj

The wires are in two separate holes in connector.

E

elizarrj

There is a white plugin with a green wire and the black wire that got pulled out. This plugin in plugged into that black box that appears to be connected to a solenoid or whatever that is. Does anyone know what the wire does for the tractor?

cpurvis

cpurvis

What's under the electrical tape?

E

elizarrj

I used the electrical tape to try to keep the black wire in place. Under the tape is a white plastic plug, where the green cable is plugged into and the black wire is plugged into. That white plastic plug is inturn plugged into that black square thing. I am attaching a better picture. I know I will prpbably have to replace that electrical connection, but not sure what part I'm looking for? Going thru the manuals but can't find any info.

Attachments

cpurvis

cpurvis

Your dealer should be able to fix you up with the needed parts if you need any. The solenoid may be damaged as well but you'll be able to find out once you get the wired attached to the proper connection.

M

mechanic mark

https://www.hustlerturf.com/support/manuals

locate your model number then corresponding service manual, wiring schematic should be in manual.

B

bertsmobile1

The black thing is just the connector for the carb solenoid.
Nothing fancy about it just a solenoid with a plunger that closes off the fuel to the main jet.
Normally closed so if the power is interrupted the engine turns off.
If worse comes to worse you can replace the solenoid with a short bolt 5/8 unf usually but being a Kwaka it could be metric fine or extra fine.
The Molex plug is hard to come by as a stand alone item down here.
but you should be able to get it as a sub loom just don't expect the shop to have one in stock.
Most of the solenoids are polarity sensitive , you won't hurt them if the plug is wired backwards but it won't work till you turn the plug around.
The plug is supposed to be a one way jobbie but most will plug in either way round.

E

elizarrj

Thank you so much. As you can tell, I am not a lawn mower guru. But now I know what to get, and I should be mowing again shortly.

B

bertsmobile1

When you refit it move that ground wire right out of the way where it can not get snagged in the future.
Does not matter where it goes just so long as it is ground.

T

txmowman

That part you need, to repair correctly, is Kawasaki part 26031-7041. Available from a Kawasaki engine dealer.

The Chairman

The Chairman

My dealer had the harness piece and it was cheap. Easy fix.

C

clubairth

And now you know why many of us install engine guards.
To prevent that exact problem!

The Chairman

The Chairman

And now you know why many of us install engine guards.
To prevent that exact problem!

I would love to see a picture of this.

C

clubairth

I have the SD54 but I think your 60 might use the same guard?
Mine was #119597 about $80.

Engine Guard1.jpg

Engine Guard.jpg

I think it makes the mower look better too.

Probably should have been stock but this is a bottom of the line Hustler mower.

The Chairman

The Chairman

I have the SD54 but I think your 60 might use the same guard?
Mine was #119597 about $80.

View attachment 44381

View attachment 44382

I think it makes the mower look better too.

Probably should have been stock but this is a bottom of the line Hustler mower.
Thanks. I thought it was something different. Mine came with that.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

I would love to see a picture of this.

Back and Front (respectively)

Attachments

The Chairman

The Chairman

Back and Front (respectively)
I have the back shield... what am I looking at for the front?

C

clubairth

Your picture shows no rear engine guard installed?
Did you remove it before taking the picture?

E

elizarrj

Thank you so much for your help guys. I bought the wiring harness and the guard.

E

elizarrj

Hi Guys, It turns out my Fuel Solenoid is bad too. Does anybody know the size of the wrench that will take out the fuel solenoid? My engine is a Kawasaki FR651V 21.5 HP engine.

E

elizarrj

Well I found a 13mm Tagget wrench that did the job. I replaced the wiring harness for the Fuel Solenoid and replaced the fuel solenoid. But my tractor still won't start. It was just like before. The engines cranks, but that's just it. Any ideas what I should do?

The Chairman

The Chairman

You've checked for spark, right? Have you replaced the flywheel key? That used to be a big problem with Briggs and Stratton, as it determined the timing of the spark. For most engines a pump will get weak before it gives out, allowing an engine to start but not rev very high. If it just stopped cold and won't start (but still cranks when the key is hit), then ignition is probably to blame. On the Hustler, there are a number of safeties built into the ignition, namely the neutral safety switches (on on each steering arm), the PTO switch and the seat switch. I have not fully sussed out what happens when these guys are not functioning properly, so I would take the time to make sure they are working properly anyway. The latest issue I had was the seat switch becoming disconnected. I could start the engine, but I couldn't move or engage the PTO. I was a good bit away from my workshop and still on crutches from my broken leg, so I felt a bit helpless. I was going to hobble over to the tractor to tow it back, but I'm in the habit of tipping the seat forward whenever it's parked outside so the Florida Sun can't make the seat so hot. As I did that, I noticed the loose wire, plugged it in and everything worked. :D :D :D I went back to the workshop and used a pair of pliers to gently close the female spade connector a bit so it wouldn't tend to vibrate off as easily. So, you are hearing the engine 'turn over' or crank when you turn the key, right? It's just not starting even though it's cranking over.

The Chairman

The Chairman

After reading the OP again, yes: you are cranking, but the engine isn't starting. Check for spark and suss that out.

E

elizarrj

Thanks Chairman for the info. Here is some history of what happened. My son was mowing our lawn. He backed into some bushes, as he pulled out, the bush pulled the positive wire from the fuel Solenoid and the lawn tractor stopped. I replaced the wiring harness for the fuel solenoid and still the lawn tractor would not start. I then replaced the fuel solenoid with a new one and still not starting. I got frustrated, and cut the plunger of the old fuel solenoid, thinking of bypassing the fuel solenoid all together to see if t would start and it didn't. So I'm thinking there may be another issue. I will check the spark plugs as you suggested and all the safety switches. Not sure what else it could be?

T

turboawd

Thanks Chairman for the info. Here is some history of what happened. My son was mowing our lawn. He backed into some bushes, as he pulled out, the bush pulled the positive wire from the fuel Solenoid and the lawn tractor stopped. I replaced the wiring harness for the fuel solenoid and still the lawn tractor would not start. I then replaced the fuel solenoid with a new one and still not starting. I got frustrated, and cut the plunger of the old fuel solenoid, thinking of bypassing the fuel solenoid all together to see if t would start and it didn't. So I'm thinking there may be another issue. I will check the spark plugs as you suggested and all the safety switches. Not sure what else it could be?

that fuel solenoid needs power to allow fuel in the carb. the black wire is negative and the green wire is positive. do you have power to it? do you have the old solenoid? plug it in, and the solenoid should move when you turn the key on.

E

elizarrj

Its been awhile, and I thought I mentioned that I got my hustler working again. My wiring harness was bad as well as the fuel solenoid. After I replaced these two parts I still could not start my engine. I noticed later that the spring the pulls on the choke valve got pulled off when I lost my wires. Replaced the spring and now everything is working. I also installed the rear engine guard to help protect me from this type of accident. Thanks for all the advice.