Engine My DYT 4000 has no spark.

draperk2004

Threads
So I was driving my DYT 4000 the other day and shut off the ignition while it was still moving and without pushing in the clutch. It hasn't started since. I checked for fuel and it has plenty of fuel getting in to the cylinder wall. I also checked for spark and this is interesting. When I grounded the spark plug to the block, there is no spark--even with a brand new plug, but if I put a screw driver in the plug wire and leave a little clearance, the sparks fly just fine. This tells me that my engine is grounding out my plug somehow, but I cannot figure out where. I know that the clutch and the pto have safety switches, but they keep the engine from turning over not from sparking. I also know the seat has a ground switch, but I don't know how to tell if it is shorted. I also checked the only fuse I know of near the cylenoid, and it is fine. In addition, I pulled the ground wire on the coil to see if I could get spark to my plug and still no go. Can anyone help me know what to do, so I don't have to pay 200.00 for a minor repair.

KD

draperk2004

Threads
I also just saw on another forum that someone replaced the armature magneto. Is this a possible solution and if so, where is it located and what does it look like?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the blower housing from the engine. disconnect the wire going to the igntion module, has the spark plug wire attached to it, and then crank the engine to check for spark. If you have spark, the the wiring from the module is grounded someplace in the mower. If no spark, then replace the module.

draperk2004

Threads
Are you talking about the coil with the spark plug wire and the ground wire attached. I am not sure what you mean by ignition module?

draperk2004

Threads
Okay, so if it is the ignition module, then why does it spark when I use a screwdriver just off the block and it doesn't when I put a plug in and ground it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
In simple terms, the module has an internal short, and there is less resistance when using a screwdriver than there is in the spark plug. On some of the Kohler engines you can have a bad ignition module even if the plug shows spark when grounded to the engine. Requires the use of a high energy spark tester to determine if bad.

draperk2004

Threads
So then it sounds like my best bet is to just buy a new ignition module correct?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before you replace it, disconnect the small wire going to the ignition coil (post 3) to see if you get a better spark, if you do look at the safety switch(s) if you don't then replace it.

draperk2004

Threads
Thank you so much for your help. Ill let you know how it goes.