My Cub Cadet 1000 series LT1050

ervinsmith1024

Forum Newbie
Threads
Best cutting mower I ever had. Paid $1000 for it, and they want $800 for a new Deck for it. Well I must admit this is very disappointing. You can get any other part you need for it still. But finding a replacement Deck, and I mean at a reasonable price is impossible. So I hope anyone who has a old deck in stock, I hope it turns to Gold for them since they think they are worth their weight in God. No, I am not angry, just very disappointed. This 20 something year old mower still runs like a top. And there is no way, that old deck sitting on the shelf cost them very much money, to justify there cost from a old man who wants to fix his lawn mower before he dies. I would be they do not have $150 in it, just years of storage fees i guess.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get it welded up
Because of the way Cub mount their decks you can take the mounting plate off weld a big steel plate underneath it , fit the spindles to the steel plate then tack the remaining deck to it.

You can modify any current MTD deck to fit but you loose out by not having tapered rollers on the spindles.

ervinsmith1024

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have asked three welders to weld new plates whree the spindle goes in. They refused to do it. They said its a pain in the ass. I thought, since I was willing to pay and I had the money they would just do it. I was wrong, so it really must be difficult job. Most are kept busy doing welding they like doing, they do not go without work. So I guess I might be the same way if I had so many customers.
I talked to the welders about modifiey a new deck, useing the old mounting hardware. NO way they say would they mess with that. They recommend I just go buy a new mower and be done with it. I am 65 years old, I really can not believe our country has come to the point where some people. won't do a honest job for a honest pay. Of course i am still useing tools my grandfaterh and my father gave e, because they were made to last in their day. I am thinking after president kennedy era, people stopped having pride intheir work. And then they shipped most production over seas , first to Taiwan, then japan and now China. We have really went down hill in our country on pride of work, and work ethic. I had better shut up on this topic. I hope I did not offend anyone. If I did, I opoligize. Ervin Smith

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And that price for a new deck is just the shell. You still got replace all three spindles as the mounting will break off upon removal attempts. And you may even need other parts to as they are worn out. But if you wish to go with a new NOS shell there is one on eBay but you must make arrangements on shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LOWER-...123973504423?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Btw I agree it is a pita to do as I have repaired several of those decks where the operators have broken the spindle mounts if you want to maintain the vented deck function.

cruzenmike

Threads
My LTX1050 cut beautifully. If you ever look at the tops of the older signature series decks and the new ones you will notice some slight design differences. One major issue with the old decks was the small idlers and the large angle that the deck blade would be subject to when the deck was down. This would cause a lot of deck belts be be eaten. My deck completely blew apart and cost me $150 to completely rebuild. But, when that deck was working properly, it cut so much better than the new signature series decks albeit the new ones don't shred belts as easily.

I understand your frustration considering your relatively good luck with your machine but like with any machine you have to look at the cost of repair vs cost of replacement. A new XT1 50" can be hard for around $2100 if memory serves me correctly. New mower will give you better steering and a warranty. With the same luck this could be the last machine you ever buy.