Export thread

Murray select riding mower

S

Smurfy76

Hey guys, so first time posting here. So I have some engine knowledge mostly cars though. But my riding mower had stopped running. It would spin bit not fully crank. So I adjusted the valves changed the magneto and spark plug since it was not sparking and behold it started. But it was running rough. I took it for a test drive and of itself engage the blades it will almost kill the engine. I put it on high and vr than it did kill the engine. I just ordered a new carb as it was cheap and figured why not but was wondering if anyone had some thoughts. It doesn't have a fuel pump.

M

MowLife

I would think a dirty or bad carb. Since your getting a new one. As long as you have compression and all the new parts...should run fine. Check air filter and replace fuel filter while your at it.

S

Smurfy76

Air and fuel filter are new. The carb is the last thing I can think of.

B

bertsmobile1

Get 4' of copper wire and put a 1/4" female spade terminal on it.
Remove the kill wire from the magneto and put your wire on it.
Strip about 1/2" of the insulation off your end then go mow.
You will need to ground that wire to turn off the engine so keep it handy.
Problem goes away = short in the wiring / defective safety switch.

The other biggie is the fuel shut off solenoid under the carb.
It can be loosing power or ground for 2 wire solenoids.

Don't throw out the old magneto becaus if you had a wiring problem it will still be good.

S

Smurfy76

Ty for the suggestion but the magneto was dead. I tested the spark plug and it had no spark. Since the change it now has spark. It is something fuel related. I still believe it's the carb
So I will post a update once I get it in and Installed. The mowers safety switches were disabled.

B

bertsmobile1

Did you check for spark with the kill wire disconnected ?

S

Smurfy76

Did you check for spark with the kill wire disconnected ?

Yes. Just got the new carburetor in today so I'm hoping to put it in tomorrow. Will post a update when I do.

S

Smurfy76

So I got the carb installed and she is running like a champion again. So I finally got to mow my lawn which if u live in Florida imagine a month and a half of grass growing. But she plowed right through it like nothing. She is having the occasional backfire through the carb but I think I have the wrong gapping on the valves. I set them at .05 and I think it should be .07 but other than she's running again.