Murray 42910x92A blades won't engage

Hawk491

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I have an older model Murray 42" inch cut riding mower. A week or so ago I was mowing the law and everything was fine. Got about 3/4 of the way done when I disengaged the blades so I could get off the mower and pick up an object in the lawn and when I got back on the mower the blades wouldn't engage. I dropped the deck and checked everything I could think of and everything seems to be in order. Nothing is bound up, all the pulleys/blades move freely. When I push the lever to engage the blades I feel the normal tension from the springs and it moves the pulley to tighten the drive belt. It does seem like there is still too much slack in the belt, so I adjusted the rod that connects to the pulley to tighten the tension but it didn't make a difference. I was thinking it could be the PTO limit switch but I can't see how that would affect the belt drive in this manner. The stack pulley is spinning even when I try to engage the blades and the engine continues to run. I double checked the routing of the belt and it looks good. At a bit of a loss and my lawn is about to become the Amazon jungle. :) Looking for suggestions on what to look for next.

Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When was the last time the belt was replaced? With the engine OFF, engage the belt and check to see if it tightens properly. Try moving the belt by hand to see if the blades turn. If they do, have someone engage the deck while you watch what happens. This will give you a good idea where the problem is. Very simple unit, when you push the lever forward the tensioner should tighten the belt.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is a pretty basic setup, get down there and have someone work the lever while you watch {mower not running}.
deck.PNG

Hawk491

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. At least I know I'm not crazy thinking it's a simple setup. The belt is only a season old. I'll get back under there and check again if the rain ever stops! I definitely feel like it's not pulling the belt tight enough so maybe it just needs to be adjusted some more.