MTD mower wiring questions

Devon527

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I just recently got a MTD mower that needed a bit of wiring work done to it. From diagrams I have printed out and a few videos I have seen, I am still stumped on what is wrong. I have full 12 volts, but turn key and get absolutely nothing. Most of the wires on this thing were unplugged when I got it. I hooked them up to the best of my knowledge and still nothing. I replaced the starting solenoid just because it seemed weak when I jumped power to the signal side.

From what i read, Orange/white should be on the small post of the starting solenoid, then obviously power in, and then power out to starter. I am wondering if I have a safety switch issue somewhere. All the yellow wires for the seat were unplugged as well, in total 3 yellow wires were unplugged. I assumed 2 went to the seat, and the other went to the gear cover for reverse sensor.

Does anyone have any input on what to check next? I was able to get it to turn over originally by jumping power to the small terminal on the solenoid.mower.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The signal wire to the solenoid s a loop from the S terminal on the starter switch to the trigger terminal on the solenoid.
As such it has to pass THROUGH all of the switches to get to the solenoid.
And because electricity has to be a full loop from one side of the battery to the other side of the battery the solenoid body needs a good ground contact or a nice strong 12V on your yellow wire will have no where to go.