MTD Lawnflite 555 Clutch Pedal Juddering

brianj42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All

Newbie here so go gently.

I have a rather old (by today's standards) Lawnflite 555 ride on. As soon as I got it I had to service, oil and grease and sharpened the blades. He was desperately in need of TLC. So, it is now cutting like it should and as we have 2 acres to cut every 2 weeks he is going to be busy.

Yesterday whilst reaching the end of the cut, the clutch (If thats the right description) pedal started juddering. Upon checking it also does it in reverse, and when I look down at the belts and pulleys, the whole lot are waggling about like a dogs tail.

Prior to this the drive belt from the engine to the axle became so loose it was slipping off at the engine pulley.

The blade belt and system are fine, its only the drive side of things.

Are the two problems connected ? What could the overall problem be ?

Thanks In advance.

Brian

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your drive belt could be worn out, check and see if the belt has any chunks of belt missing.

brianj42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well Bakerg it seems you may be spot on. The belt from the engine pulley to the centre pulley, whatever its called, is no longer V shaped as there are large pieces worn down. The pieces missing have gone from the priginal 1cm thick belt to about 5mm. You think this would cause the whole "Shakin Stevens" thing ?

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well Bakerg it seems you may be spot on. The belt from the engine pulley to the centre pulley, whatever its called, is no longer V shaped as there are large pieces worn down. The pieces missing have gone from the priginal 1cm thick belt to about 5mm. You think this would cause the whole "Shakin Stevens" thing ?
Yes, your clutch pedal is connected t the variabe speed pulley and with the belt moving through the pulley with the pieces of belt missing that would cause the pully to open and closes, causing the pedal to shake, rattle and roll.:laughing:

brianj42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cheers for that. I've ordered a new belt and I'll let you know the results. The next thing is fitting the bleedin thing :confused2: Is this an easy task ?

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cheers for that. I've ordered a new belt and I'll let you know the results. The next thing is fitting the bleedin thing :confused2: Is this an easy task ?

I'm not sure what your lawnmower looks like. Mine has he battery under the seat. I remove the battery and the access plate between th seat and the steering column. That will access the pulley on the transaxle. You will need to take mower belt off engine also. Have your shifter in park which should have the clutch pedal engaged, this will leave tension off belt. hope this makes sense and helps.:biggrin:

clicon357

Threads

Hi, where did you order your MTD belt from? Seen them on Ebay for quiet reasonable money.

brianj42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

I did get it from Ebay and it sorted the problem. And, the mower now goes twice as fast.

Brilliant

Thanks

Brian

clicon357

Threads
Hi

I did get it from Ebay and it sorted the problem. And, the mower now goes twice as fast.

Brilliant

Thanks

Brian

My Lawnflite 548 then seems to be suffering the same issues as yours. It has been getting steadily worse. You can drive round the garden for a few minutes (seconds?) and then it just stops and screeches whenever you try to go forward or backwards - think worse when its wet. I tried belt dressing but that was no good. My main problem is the state of the cutting deck - falling apart! I've tried welding it up with the MIG by adding more sheet steel here and there but a bit of a lost cause! Maybe I'll ditch the deck and just use it as a lawn tractor for shifting stuff around. Do you know if the cutting decks are available as spares? Oh, and one more thing what Ebay seller did you go to? Many thanks. Clive.

brianj42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get a new belt, I'm glad I did and the difference in speed is amazing. Not sure if I can mention who I got it from on Ebay, and I do apologise to the Admin if I'm out of order, but the seller was aspin60. As for the cutting deck. I know you can get new decks, but I would think that the price is probably going to be more than a second hand mower off Ebay or even try get one like your for spares. I managed to get a broken one of the same spec and keep pilfering bits off it.

Brian