Mower starting issue

ChrisHatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok nee to the forum and couldnt find anything related to my problem so here goes.

First a little history, I have a poulan pro pk20h48yt, not sure of the sub model, that I got from my dad. He had issues with it burning up pto switches but it otherwise ran fine. He had rewired the switch numerous times and replaced the switch itself, only to have the issue persist. It sat for quite a long time after the ignition switch finally went out on it. A few years down the road I got ahold of it and have since changed the whole wiring harness, pto switch, ignition switch, and starter solenoid. Now when I go to start the darn thing, I get nothing, however if I engage the pto switch and start to turn the key it will crank and eventually start without even turning it to the run position. I've double checked all my wiring and see no issues however I wonder if I might have the solenoid hooked up wrong, the old harness was so hacked up that it is no longer a good reference point and I pulled it off about 2 weeks before getting my new harness in. I'm wondering if the issue might be the pto itself but am really hoping it is not, any advice or ideas of things to check would be awesome. Thanks for your help

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay here is the wiring diagram for that 2005 model. Either someone installed a wrong safety switch or have rewired it incorrectly. May have reversed plugged the PTO switch connector.

P0606097-00011.png

ChrisHatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for that I will trace down all the wiring shortly and hopefully figure it out I will update with what I find

ChrisHatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
All wiring seems to be correct and all safety switches are in place and plugged in, in starting to wonder if the pto is bad. Any other things that could cause this?

ChrisHatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay here is the wiring diagram for that 2005 model. Either someone installed a wrong safety switch or have rewired it incorrectly. May have reversed plugged the PTO switch connector.

P0606097-00011.png
I even tried to rewire the pto in the opposite direction with the same results

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also you mention that your dad had wried and replace the PTO switch several times. Most can be caused by partially short electric clutch but that is current a different issue.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok nee to the forum and couldnt find anything related to my problem so here goes.

First a little history, I have a poulan pro pk20h48yt, not sure of the sub model, that I got from my dad. He had issues with it burning up pto switches but it otherwise ran fine. He had rewired the switch numerous times and replaced the switch itself, only to have the issue persist. It sat for quite a long time after the ignition switch finally went out on it. A few years down the road I got ahold of it and have since changed the whole wiring harness, pto switch, ignition switch, and starter solenoid. Now when I go to start the darn thing, I get nothing, however if I engage the pto switch and start to turn the key it will crank and eventually start without even turning it to the run position. I've double checked all my wiring and see no issues however I wonder if I might have the solenoid hooked up wrong, the old harness was so hacked up that it is no longer a good reference point and I pulled it off about 2 weeks before getting my new harness in. I'm wondering if the issue might be the pto itself but am really hoping it is not, any advice or ideas of things to check would be awesome. Thanks for your help

So the engine would start with the key switch not even all the way to the start position?

For this to happen, you must have a bad key switch. Because battery power comes in from the battery, to the key switch, then out to the solenoid. The only way for it to get to the solenoid, is through the key switch.

Big red wire from the + POS side of the battery, going to the right hand top post of the solenoid. The other big red wire going to the starter. Right? If it's a 3 post solenoid, then you'll have a wire from the keyswitch (labeled B) to the one small post. If it's a four post, then it's the same thing. Only the other small post will have some safety switch wires that go to the safety switches and/or ground wires. (Because that small post is for grounding the solenoid). Like the diagram shows.

The engine turning over when the key isn't in the start position, is a problem.

The harness you put on it, was it new?

Last edited:

ChrisHatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also you mention that your dad had wried and replace the PTO switch several times. Most can be caused by partially short electric clutch but that is current a different issue.
This things got me stumped lol, might go to the shop later in the week if I cant figure anything out, thanks for your help though lol. I checked to make sure it was plugged in correct and there Is only one way for it to plug in. I would think it is a pto issue but i did notice that the diagram seems to point towards a white wire being plugged into the solenoid but i have two red plugged int ok it, from what i can tell this completes the circuit to the solenoid but maybe i am incorrect, only white wires I have seem to plug into each other.

ChrisHatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the engine would start with the key switch not even all the way to the start position?
Yes starts turning over as soon as I turn it to on, and there Is no way to disengage the starter without shutting it off

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes starts turning over as soon as I turn it to on, and there Is no way to disengage the starter without shutting it off

I added a lot to my post, while you were reading it.

The solenoid should not be getting any juice, unless the keyswitch is in the start position.
If it's a 4 post solenoid, and you know the basics of a volt meter, check to see where you're getting voltage to it at and from, with the key off. It should only have voltage from the battery. The smaller post, should only get voltage when the key is on start.