Mower manufacturers

evilbadger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everybody I'm new to the forum and looking to find out who makes what. I currently have a Cub Cadet LT-1042 with about 350 hours on it and it has been nothing but problem after problem so I am looking to upgrade to a zero turn. I have to stay in the 42 to 48" range in order to get it in the shed. I mow about 2-3 acres per week and would like a dependable machine. I am seriously leaning towards the commercial machines but would like to find out which manufacturers are the key players. I know MTD makes Cub Cadet and others and I have heard Toro makes Ex-Mark so who are the real manufacturers and which ones are knockoffs?

Also if you have a suggestion on which zero turn to go with please advise. I think Scag and Dixie Chopper are at the top of the list being they are American made but I am open to other options too.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MTD makes tractors for many brands. Cub, Toro, White, Sears, etc. Look at the and you will be able to see similarities. Most Z's are still made by the major brands. In our area the landscapers are using Toro and Kubota for the most part. We sell and service both brands so many will call me partial to them, but I also service other brands, and I would say your best bang for the buck is the Toro Titan. Kubota is even a better unit but you have to look at the initial investment.

evilbadger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply Rivets. I'll take a look at the Toro line of mowers since I have a dealer within 10 miles of the house that would be pretty convenient. The dealer closest to home carries Scag, Hustler, and Husqvarna.

I would like to know though who are the parent companies and which ones are the offspring. There are so many different brands out there it is hard to believe there are that many manufacturers.

talley2191

Threads
Seems to me the best thing to do is avoid the big box stores. I'm sure some sell "commercial" quality to some degree but it just looks like a lot of land mines to side step. I recently upgrade to a select series John Deere and other than the green paint you'd never think it carried the same name as my big box LA125. Guess what I'm saying is regardless of brand start by shopping the local dealerships and NOT the big box stores.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I have not gotten back to you, had something's that needed attention. As talley said and I agree please use a dealer. You will then have someone to talk to if a problem should come up. Also, many dealers will help you more if you bought from them and not the big box store. It's called customer loyalty.

evilbadger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets you will be happy I bought a Toro MX-4260. The dealer is suppose to deliver it Thursday.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm glad to hear that you used a dealer. Now you have a contact for as long as you own the mower. That Toro should serve you well. Make sure that you are comfortable with the machine before the delivery person leaves. I'm sure that they will want to keep you happy.