Mower keeps driving

Solan

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Ariens 46" 20 hp riding mower does not stop driving when you take your foot off the pedal. You have to use the brake to come to a stop. Same in reverse and forward. Before now if I took my foot off the pedal the mower would slow to a stop. Ideas? Ive never used the cruise control on it and it appears to be in the off position.

keakar

Threads
My Ariens 46" 20 hp riding mower does not stop driving when you take your foot off the pedal. You have to use the brake to come to a stop. Same in reverse and forward. Before now if I took my foot off the pedal the mower would slow to a stop. Ideas? Ive never used the cruise control on it and it appears to be in the off position.
sounds like a return spring underneath there came loose or broke

time to pull the deck and crawl under there for a look around

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also lube the pedal pivots and clean debris from around the transmission.

jross

Threads

Born2Mow

Threads
My FIL's Ariens has a belt that's stretched past its useable length. When I engage the blade, the mechanism goes "over center" and will not automatically dis-engage when the control is dis-engaged. The belt looks and runs fine, it's simply stretched. Yours may be the same way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mower belts do not stretch
They wear thin so sit deeper in the V grooves thus become loose .
That would not case the symptoms that Solan described