Export thread

Mower keeps driving

S

Solan

My Ariens 46" 20 hp riding mower does not stop driving when you take your foot off the pedal. You have to use the brake to come to a stop. Same in reverse and forward. Before now if I took my foot off the pedal the mower would slow to a stop. Ideas? Ive never used the cruise control on it and it appears to be in the off position.

K

keakar

My Ariens 46" 20 hp riding mower does not stop driving when you take your foot off the pedal. You have to use the brake to come to a stop. Same in reverse and forward. Before now if I took my foot off the pedal the mower would slow to a stop. Ideas? Ive never used the cruise control on it and it appears to be in the off position.
sounds like a return spring underneath there came loose or broke

time to pull the deck and crawl under there for a look around

B

bertsmobile1

Also lube the pedal pivots and clean debris from around the transmission.

J

jross

B

Born2Mow

My FIL's Ariens has a belt that's stretched past its useable length. When I engage the blade, the mechanism goes "over center" and will not automatically dis-engage when the control is dis-engaged. The belt looks and runs fine, it's simply stretched. Yours may be the same way.

B

bertsmobile1

Mower belts do not stretch
They wear thin so sit deeper in the V grooves thus become loose .
That would not case the symptoms that Solan described