mower backfires and wont come to a full idle

paroughneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an ariens minizoom with a briggs intek 14.5 hp motor. Around the end of last summer it started to have this issue, we had a lot of rain, so I figured since it had been outside it got water in the gas. I got to it today, I drained the gas from the tank, the lines, and the carb. I put new gas in, with an oz or so of lucas deep clean. It fired up but still has the same problem. It backfires, with quite a bit of smoke coming out during the backfire. It sputters, it wont come to a full idle. Not like its trying to die, just like something is clogged somewhere. I let it run for a good 30 mins, thinking it would burn off the bad gas. But it still runs the same. I was thinking maybe the muffler has some carbon build up, and I will get to taking that off tomorrow to see. When I took the solenoid and cup off the carb, everything seemed ok. The solenoid clicks when I turn the key, and I can feel the plunger going in and out. I am not 100% that it is, without taking it off and turning the key, but we will assume it is. Any ideas? Something I can try or check for? My dad mows a rather large cemetery, and has a guy who fixes all his stuff, but I would like to take care of this on my own if I can. The grass isnt getting any shorter, and he isnt the quickest, or the cheapest for that matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lawnmowerman2

Threads
first off you need to have the carb rebuilt, the reason why the backfire and not full idle is that the engine is starving for fuel, due to the sucking of air at the ports, the way you tell is spray starting fluid around the carb, you will notice how the engine will run higher without cutting out..