Export thread

Most Dangerous Hand Tools

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Which hand tool is most dangerous for you? By "hand tools" I mean tools that are handheld and hand-powered (like screwdrivers and wrenches.)

My most dangerous hand tool is my largest flatblade screwdriver. I tend to use it as a prybar/wedge, and have hurt myself numerous times when it slipped.

S

shiftsuper175607

Which hand tool is most dangerous for you? By "hand tools" I mean tools that are handheld and hand-powered (like screwdrivers and wrenches.)

My most dangerous hand tool is my largest flatblade screwdriver. I tend to use it as a prybar/wedge, and have hurt myself numerous times when it slipped.

A claw hammer

Who hasn't hit their thumb.
You also strike something and dangerous pieces fly

reynoldston

reynoldston

That is a very good question. Ever thing from a wrench slipping, screwdrivers slipping and jamming into my hand, and a hammer hitting myself. Seeing I have been doing this work all my working life you learn when its going to hurt and you say to yourself STOP before it happens, but it still can. You just have to be on your guard.

reynoldston

reynoldston

A claw hammer

Who hasn't hit their thumb.
You also strike something and dangerous pieces fly

A claw hammer is for working with wood and nails and you wouldn't find one in my mechanics tool box. Proper tools make for a lot safer work.

S

SeniorCitizen

A wood chisel used with a lack of safety knowledge and skill.

Attachments

R

Rivets

After reading many of the threads on this forum, I would have to say a hand held computer in the hands of many of the posters. I wouldn't want to be within a mile of some of these people. They're an accident waiting to happen. Second on my list is any tool that is starting to show wear. Try to replace as soon as possible.

okiepc

okiepc

I would have to say that without a doubt, the number one hand tool that is the most dangerous for me is (wait for it- wait for it) BEER BOTTLE OPENER, that has caused me danger over the years. :laughing::laughing:

Really, I would say screwdrivers. :thumbsup:

exotion

exotion

Being dumb with razors and box openers has caused me lots of greef

G

Gcorron

Can't disagree with any of the above, I've caused blood with all of them!

However, having worked at some of the bigger, global, mega engineering firms, you guys didn't say 'Pencil'! In the wrong hands, they have caused more mayhem than any other single device!

HOW many times, when repairing something have we all said "what idiot designed this piece of ....".

I rest my case.

George

M

motoman

Dull cutting tools cause extra pressure often with bad results. Rounded /stretched wrenches slipping and stripping the knuckles. Hacksaws during final stroke which slam fingers into vise. Any tool dropped onto feet. Yesterday I saw a TV motorcycle mechanic working in sandals. YIKES!

G

Gcorron

Certainly, if stupidity were a hand tool, as opposed to being a trait, that would win!

I used to run, but never, and I mean NEVER wore my tennis shoes (ok, running shoes, really a slim difference) except ONE time....

Friend dropped by the house, just finishing dinner, he needed about 3" of weld put on something. I grabbed it, told him to have a cup of coffee, I'd be right back. Started welding, smelled smoke, you should NOT smell smoke when welding, looked down to see my running shoes on fire!

In high school, there were some fools who said I couldn't dance!!

George

L

Luana

All good responses!

For me, I would say any tool is dangerous as I have probably injured myself at least once with just about every kind of hand tool that has existed. Still, I would not trade the life I have had for one where I was totally safe no matter what. What is life without a little bit of "danger" involved?

Bison

Bison

The human brain,..or the lack of it is more dangerous than any tool ever build ;)

reynoldston

reynoldston

Any hand tool in my grandson in laws hand. A lot of collage education but no mechanical skills.

R

RjMaan

I think Hammer is the most dangerous because most of the people beat their own hands or finger when doing work with it. Stay safe from hammer. :)

D

Darryl G

I've probably stabbed myself with a screwdriver using it to try to pry something more than anything else. Has anybody seen my C-Clip pliers? Speaking of pliers, I'm pretty good at pinching myself with needle-nose and lineman's pliers too.

Boobala

Boobala

I'm forever getting blood-blisters when using "channel-locks" ( water-pump pliers as some call em ).

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I inflict injuries upon myself with all different types of tools and with what I'm working on.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I can not count the number of times my wife or someone else has said you are bleeding, what happened. I normally have no real clue as to how I hurt myself but it is guaranteed to be a tool of some sort.

I can not count the number of times my wife or someone else has said you are bleeding, what happened. I normally have no real clue as to how I hurt myself but it is guaranteed to be a tool of some sort.

I can relate to this post best. I could have wrote it. :laughing:

C

cashman

Using a tool to perform a task for which it was not intended for is a sure way to cause injury. (Screwdriver for a punch or chisel) I'm guilty of that many times. I've probably busted more knuckles using worn 12pt sockets on worn ratchets especially when using extentions.

Boobala

Boobala

Word on the street is : OSHA has compiled a list of EVERY tool that was discussed here, and by Monday, they will be BANNED and out of production IMMEDIATELY !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

Word on the street is : OSHA has compiled a list of EVERY tool that was discussed here, and by Monday, they will be BANNED and out of production IMMEDIATELY !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

That would be a stupid thing to do. See, it's mostly the older, worn out tools that cause injuries (see Ron's post above.) If they were to do that, we wouldn't be able to buy new tools to replace our worn out ones. Instead, they should conduct a tool giveaway and let us swap our old tools for new ones.

B

bertsmobile1

We would still find ways to injure ourselves.
Brother in law did a stint with WorkSafe ( Local OH&S ).
Apparently over 70% of all MALE ladder accidents were from attempts to "bunny hop" a ladder into a new position while the bloke was on it.
The same proportion of FEMALE ladder accidents was due to the woman standing on her toes ans not with the instep on the rung, they call it the stilleto effect.
Men outnumber women 50:1 with ladder accidents.
And remember these are only the ones that require medical attention.

A friend runs a driving school.
He has a banner inside the waiting room that reads.
"No Such Thing as A Dangerous Car, JUST Cars Being Driven Dangerously "

To prove that he has cars with brakes that could be turned off, one wheel or all wheels, tyres that could be deflated , clutches that could be made inoperative and engines that would turn off or not turn off.
All this was controlled remotely by some switches hidden under what looked like a clipboard on a case so he could throw in some at random, like simulating a flat while the student was braking heavily.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Cross cut hand saw.

I knew an old carpenter who was missing two fingers on his left hand, lost in two separate incidents with the saw.

E

erkand

all the tools are dangerous in a day when you are careless. but the hammer is dangerous in every situation:).

willys55

willys55

We would still find ways to injure ourselves.
Brother in law did a stint with WorkSafe ( Local OH&S ).
Apparently over 70% of all MALE ladder accidents were from attempts to "bunny hop" a ladder into a new position while the bloke was on it.
The same proportion of FEMALE ladder accidents was due to the woman standing on her toes ans not with the instep on the rung, they call it the stilleto effect.
Men outnumber women 50:1 with ladder accidents.
And remember these are only the ones that require medical attention.

A friend runs a driving school.
He has a banner inside the waiting room that reads.
"No Such Thing as A Dangerous Car, JUST Cars Being Driven Dangerously "

To prove that he has cars with brakes that could be turned off, one wheel or all wheels, tyres that could be deflated , clutches that could be made inoperative and engines that would turn off or not turn off.
All this was controlled remotely by some switches hidden under what looked like a clipboard on a case so he could throw in some at random, like simulating a flat while the student was braking heavily.
I guess he never drove a Yugo DL

L

Luffydog

Seen a die grinder break a blade a go Thur a mans jaw. Wasn't pretty other parts stuck in a mans hand and some stuck in a metal ceiling. It's on my higher list of danger.

Seen a die grinder break a blade a go Thur a mans jaw. Wasn't pretty other parts stuck in a mans hand and some stuck in a metal ceiling. It's on my higher list of danger.

Haven't ever seen a die-grinder ever use a blade ? grinding stones & bits etc.

D

Darryl G

Haven't ever seen a die-grinder ever use a blade ? grinding stones & bits etc.

I have. Auto body and boat work, that kind of stuff. 3 inch cut-off wheels.

I have. Auto body and boat work, that kind of stuff. 3 inch cut-off wheels.

I have 4" cut off wheels for mine, just didn't consider them as blades. But they cut like going thru butter. Point taken.

D

Darryl G

Yeah, cutting tool but not really a "blade"

Yeah, cutting tool but not really a "blade"

Agree, but it can hurt ya bad, if not careful, that's for sure. That cutting wheel breaks, look out. That had to be pretty gruesome seeing that guy that got hurt.

M

motoman

Ladders. Treat them with great respect, especially the 24 foot extension type I have to use 4-5 time per year to clean out second story gutters. But only two accidents that really hurt were landing on aluminum ladders after falling...First time after some beers (stupid, stupid) on a little 8 foot aluminum ladder checking my hillside foundation after the Northridge earthquake . Second time while pruning. The branch I was pruning was lightened slightly and pulled away, sending me down, down, down. I hurt too bad to get up and walk so crawled across the yard hoping no neighbor saw me. Yeah, just like the 3 stooges movie. Nothing but pride hurt, but could not really feel anything for a long time on the second one.

I hear ya about ladders & landing on them. I did that, I was up on the 2nd stage of my ladder trying to reach a loose shingle in gutter. Instead of getting down & moving the ladder closer. No, I had to try & stretch out, down I came & landed on the ladder, only I had to go to ER, I broke mu upper Trocanter (big bone in upper thigh).
Stoopid of me. :ashamed:

M

motoman

I stay "centered" on the ladder rungs. Even though it takes longer I get down and make the ladder adjustment. Very fussy about ladder leg placement also...on one side of the 2 story with soft , irregular ground I made a 3/4 plywood base to use for the ladder legs, a piece of "tooling" I always use there. This platform is stored inside and dragged out. Cannot get anyone reliable to clean the gutters with 80" of rain here.

I notice that some ladders have adjustable leg ends for irregular terrain. Take the time to "shim up" a short leg before climbing and shake the ladder around to be sure it is stable. Sudden wind can be scary. Somewhere I read that ladder accidents are very near the top contributor to ER admissions.

With amazement I have watched painters and roofers "run" up a fully extended 30 ft ladder like a playful monkey. Make sure these guys are insured before you hire them to protect your house title from a mechanics lien! They do fall.

That 24 footer has got too heavy for me to carry so I made a simple dolly attachment for one end. This thing works better than expected . It is simply two cheapie swivel wheels (from a square dolly H Frt) mounted to a 2 x 4 cross piece. That cross piece is bungeed to the bottom ladder rung.

Pick up the other ladder end and pull or push. You can turn on a dime by twist lifting one ladder side. Does not like rough ground, but very good on pavements.

D

Darryl G

The father of a good friend of mine died 2 years ago from a fall he suffered while cleaning his gutters. His wife was holding the extension ladder but didn't really know what she was doing and apparently didn't "foot" it. It slipped out and he lost his balance and landed on his head and back. She knew CPR and was able to revive him on the scene but they lost him on the way to the ER. He was in his 70s but in good shape and was still active as a charter pilot. His wife blamed herself because she was supposed to hold the ladder. Very sad and a very difficult funeral to attend with her wailing in guilt and grief.

I have an adjustable tripod ladder that I use outdoors, mostly for tall hedges. I bought the fiberglass one to eliminate the electrocution hazard. This, but like I said, in fiberglass. https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-11580-300-Pound-Stepladder/product-reviews/B0009KM360

M

motoman

A tragedy and condolence to you to have to tell it. Each time I start to climb I remind myself how dangerous this is. Done over I would not buy a 2 story, but a ladder can be lethal at 1 story height. I never carry anything up a ladder but a lightweight alum pole with scraper for gutter cleaning. The TV dudes continue to push "leaf gutter guards," but I found that pine needles went right through some screening I tried once. New (deep custom) guttering runs $8/foot and up....YIKES.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I have 4" cut off wheels for mine, just didn't consider them as blades. But they cut like going thru butter. Point taken.

Cut off wheels can break when using them. They spin at a very high speed to the point of coming apart if the have any defects in them. So check then very close before using them and make sure to have the guard over them if possible. I had one come apart when I was using it and parts of it hit me in the face many years ago but I remember it as a good lesson learned.

M

motoman

This reminds me of how fragile grinding wheels are. The instructions for fitting usually include a warning to step away when first starting one. If dropped it is best to trash them, or at least strike them gently to hear a clear bell tone ring. The paper washers should be left on the grinding wheels for cushion. Grinding heavily (or even lightly) on the side of the wheel is dangerous. And watch out with free hand grinding of small parts or get the manicure of your life (ask me how I know).

Edit: I am gathering courage to tell about (perhaps) the most dangerous tool mod I ever made, and why you should not do it.

Edit: After typing out the formula of stupidity and danger I decided it would be dumb to publish. Like bomb instructions.

D

Darryl G

Wire wheels can be dangerous too. I was cleaning our oven racks while holding them in one hand and using the grinder with the other. I caught an edge with the wheel and rolled it into my hand. It healed pretty well. Sorry, no pics of the fresh wound, just the offending tool, my bandage progress and it mostly healed. Had that been a grinding wheel or cut-off tool I'm sure it would have been much worse. Lesson learned. Clamp it and 2 hands on the tool! I have to admit that I took the guard off my other grinder because it got in the way when i was trying to do something. I guess I should put it back on...

Attachments

Ouch !!! I have removed the guards on my grinders also. Hmmmmm.

C

clusters4400

The worst tool that you can have is one that is used improperly. some of my blunders include:

1. Tearing apart of pallets with a claw hammer, swing, miss, black eye.
2. Carb cleaner in your eyes burns like h***.
3. (current) Lighting a stogie with a windproof lighter, when you forget you turn the flame up to the max, and that the flames come out the side, instead of up.
4. (recent) (not exactly tool related) a sheared flywheel key. received a powerful kick when it backfired in the cylinder and the starter rope hurt like the dickens.
5. the oldest and most memorable: cleaning out a deer lease, Mother had the chainsaw, had me push against a small tree to make it fall, it kicks out, and my tender teenage fingers hit the blade. that feeling...was unlike any other, then the top part of the tree fell and hit me on the noggin. I am lucky to have only walked away with a few scars.

So the true answer, Chainsaws, hands down. they are a bit bigger than a "hand tool" but they are most certainly dangerous, amplified by the operator.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I've had carb cleaner in my eyes. Wooo weeee that's a horrible burning/stinging.

I have bad luck with flathead screwdrivers, everytime I use one I take out a chunk or 2 of skin.

And one time I did touch my thumb on a grinding wheel at full speed. ouch.

Spraying the hinges & rollers on the garage door with aerosol lube & NO safety glasses on. But the glasses are right on my work bench.. Doh !!!