Export thread

More Admins

EngineMan

EngineMan

We need more admins on this site because when you need one you never find one.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

4 days on my enquiry on thread tools...no word.

Seems to me "Catherine" is a welcome Bot and
"Mohammad" is the PM Bot.
Site runs itself with Mods owning *some* admin
rights?

Ric

Ric

We have Four Administrators and Five Moderators now. The only two Mods that are here with any regularity is myself and LMF.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

We have Four Administrators and Five Moderators now. The only two Mods that are here with any regularity is myself and LMF.

So, my question does not need admin rights to answer.
Why is it I am being ignored?
Is it something so simple I am expected to know, find
myself, read a FAQ?

[space for quoting chapter and verse]

Reads talk about ignoring posters, talk about ignoring
threads.
One of the simplest efficient ways to do that "on the fly" is
to mark 'inbox' threads "read"... as a list, reading those
one does not mark.
On a mobile interface,, where is the tool for marking threads read?
Or a tool to ignore selected posters?
Or a tool to remove threads from update?
Conversely the same tools would provide the other option.

At the moment I am getting by using my account interface,
reading only subbed threads and those newly posted.
It works, sort of... but requires me to sub to posts which
I have an interest in but no immediate answer.
Today's "netdude" usually posts and expects an
answer, immediately.
Some would be cheesed off to find "/subbed* on reading my
contribution.
Now,,,, Glory Be, I would not wish to p*** anyone off, inadvertantly.

So..... are you able to refer **this** to "your fellow/s"?

Ric

Ric

So, my question does not need admin rights to answer.
Why is it I am being ignored?
Is it something so simple I am expected to know, find
myself, read a FAQ?

[space for quoting chapter and verse]

Reads talk about ignoring posters, talk about ignoring
threads.
One of the simplest efficient ways to do that "on the fly" is
to mark 'inbox' threads "read"... as a list, reading those
one does not mark.
On a mobile interface,, where is the tool for marking threads read?
Or a tool to ignore selected posters?
Or a tool to remove threads from update?
Conversely the same tools would provide the other option.

At the moment I am getting by using my account interface,
reading only subbed threads and those newly posted.
It works, sort of... but requires me to sub to posts which
I have an interest in but no immediate answer.
Today's "netdude" usually posts and expects an
answer, immediately.
Some would be cheesed off to find "/subbed* on reading my
contribution.
Now,,,, Glory Be, I would not wish to p*** anyone off, inadvertantly.

So..... are you able to refer **this** to "your fellow/s"?

Why are you being ignored, over what and what's your complaint?

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

Ric wrote (paraphrased):
why are you being ignored?

Yeh,,, be nice to know, hey?
But really (reality is).....
... don't know, don't care, as such.
Just would like an answer to my question,
or at the very least acknowledgement Mohammad
was 'mirroring it'.
No word at all is just rude, you think?

As per my post the question went like this.....

*Originally Posted by*KrashnKraka*
[...]
Reads talk about ignoring posters, talk about ignoringthreads.One of the simplest efficient ways to do that "on the fly" isto mark 'inbox' threads "read"... as a list, reading thoseone does not mark.On a mobile interface,, where is the tool for marking threads read?Or a tool to ignore selected posters?Or a tool to remove threads from update?Conversely the same tools would provide the other option.At the moment I am getting by using my account interface,reading only subbed threads and those newly posted.It works, sort of... but requires me to sub to posts whichI have an interest in but no immediate answer.Today's "netdude" usually posts and expects an*answer, immediately.Some would be cheesed off to find "/subbed* on reading my*contribution.Now,,,, Glory Be, I would not wish to p*** anyone off, inadvertantly.So..... are you able to refer **this** to "your fellow/s"?

R

Rivets

I know the feeling, have been waiting over a year for a reply to my thread about getting the email notification to work from Mohammad. He still has never said anything. It did come back for a couple of months, but has not been there since March. I personally think the owners of this site have seen it grow and just think about the $$$$$. More members, mean more ads, mean more $$$$, mean why worry about the members. New members will keep joining because of the dedicated member who stick around. Many members no longer post, I assume they left, but the ones who stick around to help, do it because they want to help others even though it has gotten harder to do. Mohammad, are you out there, and do you have a reply to the questions that are being asked in this thread? Many members would like to hear your side.

B

bertsmobile1

So why do you need one ?
all an admin can do is fix mechanical problems you are having with the forum or give some one obnoxious the royal heave ho .

M

motoman

Yep it appears that serious help threads are punted out. Perhaps just the traffic count is important to the owners to extract more advertising revenue. Well, the contributors can become disillusioned and flee like gypsies. Recently I have felt this . The new posts 24 hours is being trimmed to one page and new stuff is being selectively snuffed. Watch out , lawn forum, you may kill the golden geese. I am not sure readers here are all app for this , app for that , app to scratch my nose . Some actually want to fix stuff.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

I know the feeling, have been waiting over a year for a reply to my thread about getting the email notification to work from Mohammad. He still has never said anything. It did come back for a couple of months, but has not been there since March. I personally think the owners of this site have seen it grow and just think about the $$$$$. More members, mean more ads, mean more $$$$, mean why worry about the members. New members will keep joining because of the dedicated member who stick around. Many members no longer post, I assume they left, but the ones who stick around to help, do it because they want to help others even though it has gotten harder to do. Mohammad, are you out there, and do you have a reply to the questions that are being asked in this thread? Many members would like to hear your side.

Concur, wholeheartedly!

And just bear with me for my tale of a very recent experience.
I was on Lawnsite.com.
I came under, let's say... a 'troll attack',,, from some very senior members.
Seems they took umbridge to fellas what talks with a lisp, like.
Wellll me being me, and a strong follower of The Breaker (Harry Morant- google him)
I challenged the rubes, gently...and asked Admin to mediate.
No joy...seems it was fine for the 'regulars' to have-a'-go on the "new guy" but
not so fine for the "new guy" to kickass.
I have requested from the domain owner to have my work removed, we will see
where that goes, in time.

Point is,, that site is how it is the way it is only because Admin is
disconnected, allowing the empty drums free voice. Largely a "social site"
I wish anyone luck in getting objective relevant mower/tool help in a post.
I reckon the sponsers would be well p****d at the low post count, taking
little incentive to tip some into withdrawing funding.
Again we shall see,, in time.

Since the very beginning it has been the articles that build sites, not the
builders. Traffic thereby has to hold value with contributers supported
positively in the backroom making it as easy as possible to get an
article up and read....ignoring valid requests dor assistance in any of
that is not a way forward.
These bLog sites are a dime a dozen, sponsers shift like sand - some
builders merely lack the history to know.

--- my two pennies worth in response to your (Rivets) valid critique.
Contributed despite the fact we do not always agree.

Trust that clears some.

EngineMan

EngineMan

So why do you need one ?
all an admin can do is fix mechanical problems you are having with the forum or give some one obnoxious the royal heave ho .

The reason I had to find one is because I couldn't (wasn't) aloud to delete my own post in the FOR SALE FORUM, to me that is just nut's, this site is the only one that I am with who seems to stop you doing so, why..?. We need the right to be able to take off "delete" anything we feel is not needed anymore, instead of having to seat around waiting for admin or a member who seems to have more power then we do to remove one's own post.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

@ EngineMan .....
I read your deletion request has been resolved, lucky you :p

While you were out getting that done I wrote up some advice.
The file is here - File-Upload.net - content.pdf

Offsite publish for mine own reasons.

Trust it helps some.

Ric

Ric

The reason I had to find one is because I couldn't (wasn't) aloud to delete my own post in the FOR SALE FORUM, to me that is just nut's, this site is the only one that I am with who seems to stop you doing so, why..?. We need the right to be able to take off "delete" anything we feel is not needed anymore, instead of having to seat around waiting for admin or a member who seems to have more power then we do to remove one's own post.

@ EngineMan .....
I read your deletion request has been resolved, lucky you :p

While you were out getting that done I wrote up some advice.
The file is here - File-Upload.net - content.pdf

Offsite publish for mine own reasons.

Trust it helps some.

Someone said I personally think the owners of this site have seen it grow and just think about the $$$$$. More members, mean more ads, mean more $$$$, mean why worry about the members and I couldn't agree more. At the same time though you have to understand what's involved in running a forum like this and the time involved for an Administrator.

You think members need the right to be able to take off "delete" anything they feel is not needed anymore, instead of having to seat around waiting for admin or a member who seems to have more power then we do to remove one's own post and that sure would be nice but at the same time if that was allowed this forum would probably be in the state of utter chaos.

You have members like yourselves that think the Admin is missing in action but I can assure that's not the case but I can also assure you he isn't going to step in and hand down a ruling on every little disagreement that comes up or fix ever problem that every member has.
As a moderator I have more power here than members yes but it's a very limited power. There are a lot of things I and other mods can do but even more that we can't.

Thing is if you have a problem you can go to the bottom of the home page under the site discussion forum and click on the view forum leaders you can PM anyone on the list and if they can help or take care of a problem like Engine man had they will be more than happy to do so.

Carscw

Carscw

Some of you act like you pay to use this site.
I use the iPhone app that has never been updated from day one.
And I have asked for it NOT to be updated as it is perfect.

It is free for you to be here. So what you don't have as much control as you want. Get over it.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

@ Ric....
In all due respect Ric, I read your 'explanation' as
little more than your usual utterances of brand
allegiance/bias.

Fact - EM had his issue resolved because his post/s for
attention were supported by others.
Attention, not compliance.
You chose to grant compliance, feeding the cry for
attention...without question.

Now, now - after the fact - you publish a version which by
extension denys others _any_ attention, putting those hopefulls
on an endless loop!
Did you not READ I PM'd Mohammed what, 5days ago now?
<Rivets> writes his enquiry is 12 months old!

:headbang on desk:

FWIW... I am surprised Mods on LMF have r00t on servers.
In my experience that level of control would not be in
the hands of virtual site members, whatever the history.
And such published privilage only feeds the paranoia
some have already expressed around "power".

There is no new news in any of this Ric, all old
hat, been done before. The end result is always the same.
Contributors walk, surfers find no joy, and the site dies.
It does take time, granted...and lucky that is as it grants
time for owners to get some smarts and straighten out a site.

I look forward to change.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

Some of you act like you pay to use this site.
I use the iPhone app that has never been updated from day one.
And I have asked for it NOT to be updated as it is perfect.

It is free for you to be here. So what you don't have as much control as you want. Get over it.

You are missing the point entirely..and I am
not surprised to read that ,,,from an iPhone user.
Give yer seat up on the school bus to publish/tap yer way
through that, didja?

heh...

Ric

Ric

@ Ric....
In all due respect Ric, I read your 'explanation' as
little more than your usual utterances of brand
allegiance/bias.

Fact - EM had his issue resolved because his post/s for
attention were supported by others.
Attention, not compliance.
You chose to grant compliance, feeding the cry for
attention...without question.

Now, now - after the fact - you publish a version which by
extension denys others _any_ attention, putting those hopefulls
on an endless loop!
Did you not READ I PM'd Mohammed what, 5days ago now?
<Rivets> writes his enquiry is 12 months old!

:headbang on desk:

FWIW... I am surprised Mods on LMF have r00t on servers.
In my experience that level of control would not be in
the hands of virtual site members, whatever the history.
And such published privilage only feeds the paranoia
some have already expressed around "power".

There is no new news in any of this Ric, all old
hat, been done before. The end result is always the same.
Contributors walk, surfers find no joy, and the site dies.
It does take time, granted...and lucky that is as it grants
time for owners to get some smarts and straighten out a site.

I look forward to change.

I've been here since 2010 and the start of this form and watch it grow with all of its problems. There probably isn't going to be any changes that's noticeable to you as a member. The thing is and as Muhammad knows you can't please everyone. So if you don't like the forum or are not happy with the way the administration is running the forum then use the alternative and leave or you can leave and create your own perfect forum.

There are at last count 56,473 member here on this forum and that tells me there has been a certain amount of success in the building of this forum and not much reason to change things for the few people who complain. As I said you can't please everyone. If the admin did change things to suit you and a few others what would happen? Yes he would solve you problems but how many more would it create for other members.

Running a forum is a lot like playing Golf. :smile:

Carscw

Carscw

You are missing the point entirely..and I am not surprised to read that ,,,from an iPhone user. Give yer seat up on the school bus to publish/tap yer way through that, didja? heh...

No the point is no one has time or the desire to change this site. Because one grown man wants to cry like a kid.
Over the years I notice about every couple a months. Someone like you pops in and thinks they can run the site better. Change this change that. Then your gone.
I read some of your post and think to my self. Am I the only one that gets lost reading your post.

Ric

Ric

No the point is no one has time or the desire to change this site. Because one grown man wants to cry like a kid.
Over the years I notice about every couple a months. Someone like you pops in and thinks they can run the site better. Change this change that. Then your gone.
I read some of your post and think to my self. Am I the only one that gets lost reading your post.

Your Not the only one that gets lost.:confused3:

R

Rivets

Ric, Cars, EngineMan, you all make valid points. This site has grown to the point where one or two Admins cannot keep up. The one simple thing is missing though. I hate even saying this, but I will suggest the following. Add one more site to this forum for administrative requests. Then have a administrator or moderator given authorization to review any requests that come in, to see if the request is reasonable and can be resolved. Yes, this could mean adding one more admin position. This person would need to have to be a lot more tech savvy than 99% of us, but the members would have a way to communicate their thoughts and get feedback. Now we are sitting in the dark as to what to do. Wouldn't this be the same as someone asking how to set the counterbalance on a K582. The initial request is not unreasonable, as long as we keep our heads cool and look at both sides of the fence. Read my signature.

Ric

Ric

Ric, Cars, EngineMan, you all make valid points. This site has grown to the point where one or two Admins cannot keep up. The one simple thing is missing though. I hate even saying this, but I will suggest the following. Add one more site to this forum for administrative requests. Then have a administrator or moderator given authorization to review any requests that come in, to see if the request is reasonable and can be resolved. Yes, this could mean adding one more admin position. This person would need to have to be a lot more tech savvy than 99% of us, but the members would have a way to communicate their thoughts and get feedback. Now we are sitting in the dark as to what to do. Wouldn't this be the same as someone asking how to set the counterbalance on a K582. The initial request is not unreasonable, as long as we keep our heads cool and look at both sides of the fence. Read my signature.

I agree, I'd like to see a administrative requests forum I think it would be a good thing to have on the forum. I don't believe we need to add another Admin though, I mean we have four, the problem is there never around much and I'd like to see that change. The same with the moderators, if there not going to be here they never should have taken the job as mods and need to be replaced with other members that want to be involved.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Ric, Cars, EngineMan, you all make valid points. This site has grown to the point where one or two Admins cannot keep up....

I remember last year when spammers were a big problem on the site. Ric and I banned countless spammers every day, and I know that's not a complete solution, but it helped. I would come on the forum at the end of the day and there would be up to 10+ spam threads that had to be deleted. We seemed to convince the Admin to give us the ability to ban those members (they made us moderators) because there weren't enough Admin at the time. I think that if we do need another Admin, we need one that is dedicated to this forum, or at least can spend time on here daily.

Ric

Ric

I remember last year when spammers were a big problem on the site. Ric and I banned countless spammers every day, and I know that's not a complete solution, but it helped. I would come on the forum at the end of the day and there would be up to 10+ spam threads that had to be deleted. We seemed to convince the Admin to give us the ability to ban those members (they made us moderators) because there weren't enough Admin at the time. I think that if we do need another Admin, we need one that is dedicated to this forum, or at least can spend time on here daily.

Those were the fun days:smile:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Those were the fun days:smile:

Maybe....just maybe...what we did actually worked??? :rolleyes:

Ric

Ric

Maybe....just maybe...what we did actually worked??? :rolleyes:

It sure didn't hurt. I think it made a difference in more ways than we realize.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

It sure didn't hurt. I think it made a difference in more ways than we realize.

I totally agree. :thumbsup: For some of the people who don't remember, below is a screenshot of what the Today's Posts area looked like awhile back. All spam. :confused3: Back then compared to now is like night and day.

spam.PNG

Ric

Ric

I totally agree. :thumbsup: For some of the people who don't remember, below is a screenshot of what the Today's Posts area looked like awhile back. All spam. :confused3: Back then compared to now is like night and day.

26821-more-admins-spam-png

Ya know I'd forgot what that looked like :laughing: I guess we did put the hurt on those spammers.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Ya know I'd forgot what that looked like :laughing: I guess we did put the hurt on those spammers.

Yeah I'm surprised we did.....but we sure did!!

Carscw

Carscw

Y'all did a good job.
Now go cut some grass.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

As per usual the original thrust of the thread is being diverted
by assumption, preclusions (unfounded) and more than enough
of the standard issue of education in backgrounds of "piling on"
posters.
With the one exception of Rivets' suggestion the diatribe read
is not new, seen before many a time by any seasoned "netizen".

SO... what we(royal) get from aired opinion thusfar is:
No one in 'control' reading this thread knows how to
set tools to ignore threads and posters.
No one(reading) has the ability to check or confirm email
notifications are working, across platforms.
Mods have an ability to ban posters AND an ability to remove
posts. And on that? FYI....
The first is usual SOP for moderation and quite necessary a tool.
The second - deletion - is not SOP and is in fact both a significant
security risk and unhelpfull in site order/concaternation.

As outcomes therefore I first ask how Rivets is to ever get any
"official feedback"?
Secondly, how then is it possible to refuse posts screen real estate
voluntarily when one simply does not wish to read a thread or a poster?

Just hold yer clickin' a tad and think about the last, before "running off
at the mouth" as do the truly dull.
The discussion now happening is "hole in foot" rhetoric as those
subscribing to it cannot help but see my posts, read them and fail
to follow the logic. Must hurt, that.
I would rather help than inflict any pain, so it seems only an Admin
can help me to help you (generic) and Rivets to help himself??

Carscw

Carscw

As per usual the original thrust of the thread is being diverted by assumption, preclusions (unfounded) and more than enough of the standard issue of education in backgrounds of "piling on" posters. With the one exception of Rivets' suggestion the diatribe read is not new, seen before many a time by any seasoned "netizen". SO... what we(royal) get from aired opinion thusfar is: No one in 'control' reading this thread knows how to set tools to ignore threads and posters. No one(reading) has the ability to check or confirm email notifications are working, across platforms. Mods have an ability to ban posters AND an ability to remove posts. And on that? FYI.... The first is usual SOP for moderation and quite necessary a tool. The second - deletion - is not SOP and is in fact both a significant security risk and unhelpfull in site order/concaternation. As outcomes therefore I first ask how Rivets is to ever get any "official feedback"? Secondly, how then is it possible to refuse posts screen real estate voluntarily when one simply does not wish to read a thread or a poster? Just hold yer clickin' a tad and think about the last, before "running off at the mouth" as do the truly dull. The discussion now happening is "hole in foot" rhetoric as those subscribing to it cannot help but see my posts, read them and fail to follow the logic. Must hurt, that. I would rather help than inflict any pain, so it seems only an Admin can help me to help you (generic) and Rivets to help himself??

What?

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

Tip?
Get yourself a formatted reader app...or get off that stooopid
iPhone.
Your output is reflecting the broken tool behind yer eyes:thumbdown:

Ric

Ric

Y'all did a good job.
Now go cut some grass.

Wished I could but its been raining all day and Ireally don't like four wheeling with a mower. :smile:

Ric

Ric

Attachments

D

DK35vince

There is nothing wrong with this site just the way it is.
If you don't like it you are always free to leave.

Carscw

Carscw

Wished I could but its been raining all day and Ireally don't like four wheeling with a mower. :smile:

I took a few months off.
Started back last week.
Thought I missed it but I do not. But I do like money.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Y'all did a good job.
Now go cut some grass.

I'm done for the day....these hot humid days I've been stopping early. Its rained so much the past month, that the grass needs cut every 3 days, but I still cut them only weekly, so it's annoyingly long. It's starting to be more manageable this week, though.

Carscw

Carscw

Tip? Get yourself a formatted reader app...or get off that stooopid iPhone. Your output is reflecting the broken tool behind yer eyes:thumbdown:

I will assume that this was your attempt at a insult?

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

There is nothing wrong with this site just the way it is.
If you don't like it you are always free to leave.

Oh.. your two bits is Really helpfull..! :ban:

My software (Android native) says there is
350+ reads of the thread with just 1/2 dozen
contributors.
That alone tells me the thread is a total waste
of site input.
The next time a wanker posts "ignore the post" I'll
refer them to this thread.

/out

Carscw

Carscw

I'm done for the day....these hot humid days I've been stopping early.

My workers want to get off early cause of the heat.
Me i love this time of year. All but the ac went out in the truck.
$300 to fix it. I will just be hot.

Carscw

Carscw

Oh.. your two bits is Really helpfull..! :ban: My software (Android native) says there is 350+ reads of the thread with just 1/2 dozen contributors. That alone tells me the thread is a total waste of site input. The next time a wanker posts "ignore the post" I'll refer them to this thread. /out

WHAT?

Ric

Ric

Oh.. your two bits is Really helpfull..! :ban:

My software (Android native) says there is
350+ reads of the thread with just 1/2 dozen
contributors.
That alone tells me the thread is a total waste
of site input.
The next time a wanker posts "ignore the post" I'll
refer them to this thread.

/out

I guess that's one way to ignore a post but you could do the simple thing and add it and the person to your ignore list.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My workers want to get off early cause of the heat.
Me i love this time of year. All but the ac went out in the truck.

I could not do without the AC in my vehicle. The one to two minutes in between lawns in my time to cool down, and I try to make the most if it. :confused2: Every single one of the AC vents is pointing right at the drivers seat, always at full blast.

Ric

Ric

I could not do without the AC in my vehicle. The one to two minutes in between lawns in my time to cool down, and I try to make the most if it. :confused2: Every single one of the AC vents is pointing right at the drivers seat, always at full blast.

I don't mind the heat so much as the Humidity. I like the Ac when I sleep.

M

Mikel1

All but the ac went out in the truck.
I haven't had ac in my truck for several years now. Not too bad until you hit a red light. Fifth day in a row of over 100 degrees in central Georgia.

Carscw

Carscw

I haven't had ac in my truck for several years now. Not too bad until you hit a red light. Fifth day in a row of over 100 degrees in central Georgia.

We have been in the high 90s west of Atlanta.
I don't mind the red light. It's the dang 500 mile long trains going 2 mph

Some days I drive the 85 dodge just for the vent windows.

M

Mikel1

We have been in the high 90s west of Atlanta.
I don't mind the red light. It's the dang 500 mile long trains going 2 mph

Some days I drive the 85 dodge just for the vent windows.
Luckily there are no train tracks here, not far from Augusta. DOT's road work doesn't help though.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Luckily there are no train tracks here, not far from Augusta. DOT's road work doesn't help though.

Roadwork is non stop here also. Every single road out of the area is detoured. :mur:

Carscw

Carscw

Roadwork is non stop here also. Every single road out of the area is detoured. :mur:

I wish they would do done road work here.
It suks riding a bike around here. Pot holes and tar snakes on every road.

M

Muhammad

Hey everybody... some good points made in this thread. The site has grown a lot since I started it in 2010. Generally speaking we have a very hands-off moderation approach because I don't like the idea of members having threads deleted left and right. In a sense what this thread is asking for is more moderation. When we had issues with spam, we implemented some tools to eliminate it and also we had some great mods on the job.

At this point, I think a forum for admin requests could get out of hand as it is publicly discussing disagreements between members. That could make things much worse. I think we should remain tolerant of people's personalities and posting styles, unless they are just trolling. But when somebody has 500+ posts I don't think they're a troll. You might not like them but that doesn't mean we should just ban them.

If there is a post that you think needs moderation, please use the notify moderator link (small triangle at the bottom of each post) and then all admins and moderators get an e-mail about it.

As for admins being MIA... I usually check the forum every day but sometimes days do pass when I'm busy with other projects. Catherine is not a bot and she checks the site daily. :thumbsup:

S

Stevie-Ray

Aw, HELL no!

Always wanted to say that.:laughing:

Carscw

Carscw

Hey everybody... some good points made in this thread. The site has grown a lot since I started it in 2010. Generally speaking we have a very hands-off moderation approach because I don't like the idea of members having threads deleted left and right. In a sense what this thread is asking for is more moderation. When we had issues with spam, we implemented some tools to eliminate it and also we had some great mods on the job. At this point, I think a forum for admin requests could get out of hand as it is publicly discussing disagreements between members. That could make things much worse. I think we should remain tolerant of people's personalities and posting styles, unless they are just trolling. But when somebody has 500+ posts I don't think they're a troll. You might not like them but that doesn't mean we should just ban them. If there is a post that you think needs moderation, please use the notify moderator link (small triangle at the bottom of each post) and then all admins and moderators get an e-mail about it. As for admins being MIA... I usually check the forum every day but sometimes days do pass when I'm busy with other projects. Catherine is not a bot and she checks the site daily. :thumbsup:

I for one like how the forum running.
And I am happy to still be here.

G

gainestruk

I for one like how the forum running.
And I am happy to still be here.

Ditto
Like the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it :thumbsup:

R

Rivets

95% of the time I also like the way the forum is run, but members do need a way to get problems they are having resolved. A prime example is why can't I get email notification? I have contact Muhammad by PM, started a thread and still today no resolution. I have never changed any of my settings, have the forum listed in my address book so it doesn't go to junk mail and tried every suggestion given. Still no email. It does come back for a couple of ninths each spring, but only lasts a short time. Muhammad, what do I do, because it sure would help me out.

EngineMan

EngineMan

There have been post here that say "if you don't like it, you can leave" so should I leave, and why, just because I asked a simple question, I know I don't answer that many post now and that's down to the bullying that has been on the posts, but I still read whats going on, perhaps I do have a problem with my settings and that is why I couldn't do what I wanted to just delete a post that I had posted in the for sale, I know how Admins work, am Admin on many sites here, it does take time to give a reply, so the more Admins you have the less time it takes to give a member a reply. It seems that I have kick up a wasp nest here, so lets all settle down and get back to what we all good at. Tony

Ric

Ric

I wish they would do done road work here.
It suks riding a bike around here. Pot holes and tar snakes on every road.

Now Now you need to ride your bike, It's good for you. You should go out and ride 30 or 40 miles a day a few days a week and it's fun.

Ric

Ric

There have been post here that say "if you don't like it, you can leave" so should I leave, and why, just because I asked a simple question, I know I don't answer that many post now and that's down to the bullying that has been on the posts, but I still read whats going on, perhaps I do have a problem with my settings and that is why I couldn't do what I wanted to just delete a post that I had posted in the for sale, I know how Admins work, am Admin on many sites here, it does take time to give a reply, so the more Admins you have the less time it takes to give a member a reply. It seems that I have kick up a wasp nest here, so lets all settle down and get back to what we all good at. Tony

I don't see any reason to leave. Your issue was fixed or the post was deleted in a timely manner. As far as something being wrong with your settings, that's probably not the case. The only way you could delete a post is to go through the edit function which was no longer available to you. As far as more admins go I think Muhammad already explained the reasoning on that issue.

EngineMan

EngineMan

I don't see any reason to leave. Your issue was fixed or the post was deleted in a timely manner. As far as something being wrong with your settings, that's probably not the case. The only way you could delete a post is to go through the edit function which was no longer available to you. As far as more admins go I think Muhammad already explained the reasoning on that issue.

He did..! and the reason why "edit function which was no longer available to you"

R

Rivets

I'm still waiting for a reply to my request about my email instant notification problem. Muhammad I understand your reasoning about not needing more Admins, but that still doesn't solve my problem.

EngineMan

EngineMan

Like you, am still waiting for answer to my post above...!

D

DK35vince

There have been post here that say "if you don't like it, you can leave" so should I leave, and why, just because I asked a simple question,
Sorry,
That wasn't directed at you.
There was another member here that was doing constant complaining about the site.

Ric

Ric

I'm still waiting for a reply to my request about my email instant notification problem. Muhammad I understand your reasoning about not needing more Admins, but that still doesn't solve my problem.

Rivets I recognize the fact you have an email instant notification problem. I would like to know what you expect Muhammad to do about it? I'd look at it from Muhammad's prospective. His prospective is how do I fix an email instant notification problem for this individual when the rest of the other membership that is using email instant notification aren't having a problem. Undoubtedly he doesn't have your answer. Have you tried changing your email address and using an AOL or Yahoo email.

R

Rivets

Ric, I am not a computer tech to any degree. What would I like Muhammad to do? First it would be to acknowledge the fact I and some others have a problem. You and the other moderators have limited access to the technical working of this site, he has unlimited access. I have tried the suggestions that were put forth when I started a thread on this over a year ago, with the exception of getting a new email address. I have given him permission to go into my setting and look at my account for problems. Just like we help those who come here with problems, I am asking the Admin to help with my problem. I can't even get a "we will look into it" from anyone. This may seem a petty problem to you, but with my schedule and limited time to put into this forum, I'm asking for some help from the computer experts behind this form. Is that to much to ask?

B

bertsmobile1

Ric, I am not a computer tech to any degree. What would I like Muhammad to do? First it would be to acknowledge the fact I and some others have a problem. You and the other moderators have limited access to the technical working of this site, he has unlimited access. I have tried the suggestions that were put forth when I started a thread on this over a year ago, with the exception of getting a new email address. I have given him permission to go into my setting and look at my account for problems. Just like we help those who come here with problems, I am asking the Admin to help with my problem. I can't even get a "we will look into it" from anyone. This may seem a petty problem to you, but with my schedule and limited time to put into this forum, I'm asking for some help from the computer experts behind this form. Is that to much to ask?

Well it goes like this.
If your settings on this list are correct and if everyone else is getting the ntifications without troubles then the problem is at your end and the people you need to be talking to are your ISP.
All that anyone at this sites end can do is check that your email address is correct , ceck that it is in the send email notification registry and check that when you respond to an email it is flagged as having your email address on the notification list.

There is a 99.999999999 % chance that your ISP is filtering out the notifications as spam.
In the complete header, there are codes that tell the ISP how many other email addresses got the same email.
Most ISPs run a filtering system that knocks out emails that are sent to multiple addresses as spam .
They also run a learning system so if some one else using your ISP tagged emails from this forums address as spam, it puts all emails from this forums down as potential spam.
Then the softwear that ISP use talk to other ISP's soft wear in order to try and keep one step ahead of the criminals and nuisances .
This is a dissallow list , not a trust list as the dissallow list is smaller and uses less computer time & storage.

Then finally there are your own personnal filters.

To give you some idea.
TPG, my ISP pull out over 700 spam emails addressed to my mail boxes each & every week that I did not know about till I got unfiltered feed.
They toss out about the same number that I have told them are spam through the ISP level filtering that I can modify.
Even then my computer soft wear filter around another 200 or so out of my mail boxes.
And with all of this still about 1/3 of what gets through is junk.

Some where along the line that is what is happening to your notifications.

The package that Momhamad uses to run this forum is an off the shelf product and there is nothing he can do to change it.
All he can do is check that all the "t's" are crossed and "i's" are dotted.

So if your screen name appears in the welcome bar at the top of the screen and when you search "my posts" the forum brings up your posts then the softwear is working properly at this end.
It has recognised you, and is tagging post as belonging to you.
If your settings are showing recieve notification then there is nothing more that any one can do at this end because the problem is between here and your beige box.

Carscw

Carscw

I would look in the email spam or junk mail folder. And see if the email are in one of them.
Then you can move it back to the inbox.
And future emails should follow.

Ric

Ric

Rivets Can I ask who you get your internet service from. I ask because I used a mom and pop cable company before I moved to the location I'm at now and I had the same problem as you're having. Half the time when I did received my emails they were a week to a week and a half old. The other thing is what are you using for a computer and is it windows 7 or 8.1 I personally think your ISP is filtering out your emails as Spam, there not even being delivered as spam

R

Rivets

Ric, my Internet provider is Charter and I am an Apple guy running OS X maverick. Any emails from this site are not in either my junk mail or spam folders. I have listed the address for this site in my address book, which should identify it as a welcome sender. Has the address for this site changed, that I might have the wrong one? Don't think so, as the notification were coming six months ago. I have had my computer and system checked by the systems analyst where I used to work and he says everything on my end is working properly. Charter has checked my junk mail and spam settings and cannot find anything amiss. My wife and I are on about a dozen other sites like this, some much bigger, and have never had a problem with them.

Ric

Ric

Ric, my Internet provider is Charter and I am an Apple guy running OS X maverick. Any emails from this site are not in either my junk mail or spam folders. I have listed the address for this site in my address book, which should identify it as a welcome sender. Has the address for this site changed, that I might have the wrong one? Don't think so, as the notification were coming six months ago. I have had my computer and system checked by the systems analyst where I used to work and he says everything on my end is working properly. Charter has checked my junk mail and spam settings and cannot find anything amiss. My wife and I are on about a dozen other sites like this, some much bigger, and have never had a problem with them.

Yeah I know your ISP is Charter, I've looked at your profile and your settings. Let me ask, have you tried the daily notification instead of Instant to see if it made any difference. Also do you have Apples latest update 10.9.3

R

Rivets

Updated to 10.10.3 in July. Have not tried weekly since last year when this happened.

Carscw

Carscw

I want to know why every time rivets brings up not getting emails I stop getting them?

Ric

Ric

I want to know why every time rivets brings up not getting emails I stop getting them?

Just lucky I guess.:smile:

Some of this maybe related the subscription you have or don't have. I just deleted all mine and I'm not getting any Emails.

M

Muhammad

He did..! and the reason why "edit function which was no longer available to you"

You can only edit posts for a set period of time after a message is posted. After that time, you can't edit it anymore.

R

Rivets

I guess that it must have to do with the curse put on me and you by the Fish, Fat Daddy, 1striper1, KK, and all others who would like to see me gone. I just figure it probably is because I'm not afraid to call "a spade a spade" and been know by some as a troublemaker and maybe even a troller. Are computers fun!!!???

Ric

Ric

I guess that it must have to do with the curse put on me and you by the Fish, Fat Daddy, 1striper1, KK, and all others who would like to see me gone. I just figure it probably is because I'm not afraid to call "a spade a spade" and been know by some as a troublemaker and maybe even a troller. Are computers fun!!!???

A Troll with 6000 messages. :smile: That's quite an undertaking, and I seriously doubt anyone wants to see you gone.

Carscw

Carscw

Yes that's it. Ole fish did not like us.

I thought I was the trouble maker.

R

Rivets

Sorry Carscw, but I claim the top spot.

Ric

Ric

You can call it a curse or what ever but singling out members and not allowing them emails is crazy and fighting for the top spot as a Trouble maker is kinda off the wall. If that were the case there would be a lot of members here in trouble including me. When forums are built there set up by the Owner/Administrator and there are a lot of choices made like setting things like Edit duration period for members, do I use or allow BBCode or HTML or both and the list goes on but thing the Owner/Administrator will never do please everyone and things will never work the same for ever member.

Your problem could be a number of things from your ISP to who your web browser or maybe what anti-virus software your using. McAfee causes problem like your having and I know that because it cause me a whole lot of problems. I have to believe your Emails are being block as spam some where by something and I can't believe it's from this forum.

EngineMan

EngineMan

You can only edit posts for a set period of time after a message is posted. After that time, you can't edit it anymore.

Thank you for your reply.

R

Rivets

Sorry Ric, but I don't buy it. Checked with my service supplier and guess what, there is no spam or junk mail filter on my IPad. Everything gets through, that's why I receive 100's of pieces of mail a day. Only filters are on my main frame. If they don't show up on my main computer I would understand that, but not on the IPad, where I do most of my nonbusiness fun.

R

Rivets

Guess what? Just got home from work and found 4 email notifications in my mail box. Hope it continues!!

M

motoman

Persistence pays, but I thought we had you weened off thinking people did not like you?

R

Rivets

Spoke to soon, no more emails after 6. Also notice that info under members avitars has been reduced. I hope that is not part of my ISP problem also???

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

I'm not getting email notification either. And it's not a browser problem - member profiles have been reduced. The sub forums are also separated with commas, whereas they used to be a list. In my opinion, things should have stayed the way they were before.

Ric

Ric

Spoke to soon, no more emails after 6. Also notice that info under members avatars has been reduced. I hope that is not part of my ISP problem also???

I'm not getting email notification either. And it's not a browser problem - member profiles have been reduced. The sub forums are also separated with commas, whereas they used to be a list. In my opinion, things should have stayed the way they were before.

You have to remember that as the membership grows the forum has to grow with it. So yeah you'll probably see some changes being made.They've been playing with or changing member profiles for a while, reducing them under the avatars, the sub-forums like you say are separated by commas and also have been set in alphabetical order so as to make them easier to find and I wouldn't be surprised that there are other changes upcoming to make the forum more user friendly.
If your still not getting emails you may want to try scrolling down from your reply box and set this section below, it may help.

Subscription: Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes:

Carscw

Carscw

This is what I get when trying to start a new thread.
Using the iPhone app

image-4143910673.png

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

This is what I get when trying to start a new thread.
Using the iPhone app

View attachment 27175

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't give me the option to start a thread with the app for my phone (not an iPhone).

Carscw

Carscw

Click on forums

Never have a problem doing it till now.
Tried doing it on the full site. Just pissed me off.

image-1447535012.png

Ric

Ric

Click on forums

Never have a problem doing it till now.
Tried doing it on the full site. Just pissed me off.

View attachment 27182

I can't start a thread from the location that you are showing. You have to go to the appropriate location. If I want to start a thread in say the commercial section I go there and if gives you the option. I really don't see what the problem is?

Carscw

Carscw

On the app that is where you start.
Click forums
Then brings you here
image-816215963.png

Carscw

Carscw

Then click equipment forums
Brings you here

image-702590264.png

Carscw

Carscw

Then click Equipment by brand Brings you here image-910055638.png

Carscw

Carscw

Click on one of them
Brings you here

image-2940758974.png

Carscw

Carscw

Click top right then start new thread

image-3739109411.png

Carscw

Carscw

End up with this and have to close the app.

Oh and now can only post one picture at a time.
image-263542390.png

Ric

Ric

End up with this and have to close the app.

Oh and now can only post one picture at a time.
View attachment 27190

OK so what's the problem? Add the title/subject for you message then click enter and it drops down then add your message and click send.

Carscw

Carscw

OK so what's the problem? Add the title/subject for you message then click enter and it drops down then add your message and click send.

It won't let me do anything.

Ric

Ric

It won't let me do anything.

Put your cursor over the line at the top and click and see if you can enter your subject. I just tried mine and it works fine.

Carscw

Carscw

Put your cursor over the line at the top and click and see if you can enter your subject. I just tried mine and it works fine.

I do not have a cursor.
This is on my phone.

Ric

Ric

I do not have a cursor.
This is on my phone.

OK I was on my computer when I responded. When you go to the New Message on the phone the line should be flashing on and off so you should be able to add your subject then drop down and post your message.