Montgomery Ward PowrKraft 18-46

natenkiki2004

Threads
Well I have it and so far there's a few issues but I don't feel ripped off or anything. Fair deal all around. I expected a winter project and that's what I got. Engine runs great, no smoke, no weird noises, didn't want to die or anything.

All the aesthetics are great too, no dents or major scratches, no cracks in the plastic. The seat and dash are really worn & sun damaged but that's not a big deal. Choke lever is gone but you can still choke by messing with the cable, I'll fix that though.

The biggest issue with it is in the steering. The pivot bar assembly, it's like a steel box that both the front wheels connect to, it's got a rip/crack in it but none of it is bent. I'm sure I can have the crack welded and re-enforced by a friend for low cost. It's also missing some of the pieces in this diagram:
http://www.partstree.com/parts/disp...=0&ilIF=G&ilRE=8&ilSH=0&ilEG=0&ilRO=0&ilSC=49
Number 24 is missing but buying 4 new ones might be $15, no big deal. Number 32 and 26 seem bent up but I should be able to bend them back. If not, a quick look shows that they're about $30.

I'll have to disassemble the front end but everything should come out from under the mower so it doesn't seem like too much work. I could replace a ton of stuff on this mower but to get it working again, it might be $40 plus the cost of a battery if I decide to buy one.

Pictures will come later.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Here's some pictures:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/sma...Ward 18-46 Riding Mower/Pictures/DSCF1155.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/sma...Ward 18-46 Riding Mower/Pictures/DSCF1157.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/sma...Ward 18-46 Riding Mower/Pictures/DSCF1158.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/sma...Ward 18-46 Riding Mower/Pictures/DSCF1159.JPG

The worst part of the mower:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/sma...Ward 18-46 Riding Mower/Pictures/DSCF1160.JPG
Had I seen that prior to handing the cash over, I probably would have haggled but the guy was on his way to leave and I didn't want to be awkward.

So far, I have a few things I'm going to do as far as fixing up:
- Either weld or replace the steering pivot bar. As seen in the picture, the bushing hole might be ovaled too much.
- Air filter, air pre-filter (missing), air filter cover (missing), oil filter, spark plugs
- If the one front tire refuses to hold air, I'll get a innertube for it.
- Go through all the wiring, some safety switches were disabled.
- Buy new side discharge chute (missing).
- Buy new drive belt, the one installed is original and horribly cracked.
- Buy new choke lever.
- Get all the blades (spares too) professionally sharpened and balanced.
- Buy new amp meter, old one is fogged up and the needle is bent.

A lot of this is basic maintenance and some of it can be put off until later. I could probably put around $200 into this mower over the winter and in the spring have something really nice.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Where I live in NY we have some mower salvage yards. If I was you I would see if I could pick up a good used front axle assemly. You might also be able to pick up a used one off the internet, I have gotten parts that way with good luck. Being a older mower it may be a little harder to fing new parts. Also if you can make a car battery fit there is nothing wrong with that also you know what you want.

Good luck Nick

natenkiki2004

Threads
I spent all afternoon tinkering on the mower. Got the deck off so I can fit it in my barn (probably half inch of clearance on either side now) and for better cleaning/access. I'm going to try & get in touch with a local "garage welder" to see about getting the pivot fixed up, if not, then I'll see about finding a used one or just cough up the $60 for a new one.

I was a little eager with the battery that came with the mower. Terminals were rusted (copper and lead rust...) so the screws wouldn't come out, ended up ripping the terminals while trying to unscrew the screws. Then I had the bright idea (after the fact) to test the battery & see what kind of voltage it had. Checked it and it had about 12.35v so I might be able to bring it back to life. I'll probably have to solder some copper wire onto what remains of the terminals and then re-wire it back into the system.

I'm concerned about the oil level, there was barely any on the tip of the dipstick and the guy said he ran it the night before like that :thumbdown: Before last night, it sat for 2 months so I'm hoping he didn't use it very long with that low oil level. I had to put about half a quart in (capacity is 1.5 quarts) to get it about where it should be. Ha, maybe it doesn't smoke oil because there wasn't any to smoke? :ashamed:

natenkiki2004

Threads
An update:
I got some new/used pivot bar parts coming. I'll have to take inventory of my bushings to figure out if I need to buy more or not.

About a little over a week ago I got in touch with a local small engine shop (more of a retail mower, chainsaw, 4x4 place) and I got lucky, they had a MTD machine out back with a blown engine. The pivot bar was shot on it but I got all 4 tires and rims for $30. One of the tires was brand new with a tube, one of the more aggressive 4 ply tires. I'll be buying another to match. 2 of the other tires had tubes in them. The left side ones had some minor sidewall cracks but they all hold air. I also snagged the seat & seatpan included in the $30. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Today I cleared junk away enough to start the engine and it's definitely clear that I've got some electrical gremlins to chase. Even with the original battery and a car battery hooked up via jumper cables, the starter still struggles for about 2 seconds then kicks over. After disconnecting the car battery with the engine running for a few minutes, I'm only seeing about 12.3v at the battery so I'm hoping that the alternator isn't fried and that it's the regulator. Either way, the engine runs decently and with the oil topped off, there's no visible smoking. It did die on my twice when I let it idle without choke so I'll have to go through and adjust the cables before I tear into the carb. I drained out the oil which was pitch black, I've got some fresh stuff sitting in it now and I'll run it again tomorrow and drain that out.

Rbw

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is not a reply but a plea. Im a novice, having just acquired a Powrkraft 18/46 hydrostatic. After changing all 3 belts, and re-examing tensioners, my 80 yr old retired mechanic dad and I are left with heavy duty spring, 6-7 in long. We cannot figure out where it goes back on! Can anyone help? I do have a photo if i can upload.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is not a reply but a plea. Im a novice, having just acquired a Powrkraft 18/46 hydrostatic. After changing all 3 belts, and re-examing tensioners, my 80 yr old retired mechanic dad and I are left with heavy duty spring, 6-7 in long. We cannot figure out where it goes back on! Can anyone help? I do have a photo if i can upload.

Blade engage spring. Attaches to handle down to idle pulley on deck