Walk behind Model # 247.37034 will not stay running

yawn41

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all!
My girlfriend and I purchased a Craftsman 21" push mower a couple of months back. After going through the first tank, we have had nothing but trouble from the mower.
At first I thought bad gas. Drained the tank and re-filled with fresh gas and things were ok. But the following tank had the same problems. Drained it again, but it still would not start. Thought I may have over-filled the tank, so I went to drain it again. Just to make sure the gas was good I pulled the starter a few times and the mower started up and ran like a champ. this was with the gas line detached at the tank and the gas cap off as well. So I re-filled (made sure not to over fill) and the mower started up and ran fine. Now, I tried to start the mower today and the same symptoms are present. Mower started for a few seconds then dies, wont start back up. Tried draining the tank again--fuel line off with cap off and the mower started back up and ran. I have even tried starting the mower with the cap off to see if the cap was gummed up, but it would not start. The mower only seems to start after the fuel line has been disconnected from the fuel tank. Any ideas as to what the hell is gong on? If the fuel line was clogged, wouldn't the mower still not run even if it was disconnected from the fuel tank? Its like the mower cant get enough air with the fuel line connected. This mower was bought brand new off the sales floor. Thanks for any suggestions.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just some ramdom thoughts here. I am reluctant to dive into this too far, because the mower is under warranty but. I suspect there is something air locking the fuel system. could be the new charcoal canister fuel cap is not venting properly. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and check to make sure you have good fuel flow with the fuel cap on. if low fuel flow, then remove the cap to see if it changes flow.

I suspect something between the fuel cap and the carb needle is not allowing fuel flow. Could be a restriction in the tank outlet, collapsed fuel line, the new fuel lines have a plastic liner that will come loose from the rubber part of the fuel line, and stop fuel flow. to something stuck in the carb.

I hope my random thoughts helps.

yawn41

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I did a little digging under the "hood." The arm that controls the air flow from the filter has little tension to it, I can literally tilt the mower and the arm will move.
Also, I checked the air filter and there was a rather alarming amount of liquid in the bottom of the filter housing (the filter was dry). The liquid wasn't pure water, it had the "oily" sheen to it. I played around with the air flow arm and the fuel control and actually got the mower to running, but when I got to a spot in the yard that put the
mower at an angle it died and would not start back up. Just wanted to update my findings so far. Thanks for the suggestions.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That oily substance sounds like ethanol mixed with water. I would try removing the carb bowl if it has one, and see what is in it. I bet you have water contaimination of the fuel. Good ol ethanol.

yawn41

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it was an ethanol problem I would think my other push mower would exhibit some of the same problems? My other craftsman (a smaller engine, but a Briggs and Stratton) is not having any problems. I'll try to get to the bowl and remove it and clean it out if need be. Thanks again.