Metal spark plug boot.

SteveinNormandie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello.

A first post!

I can't seem to get a spark! I've metered out the coil and seems good. I've reset the gap, cleaned magnet etc.

However what had me scratching my head is the metal Briggs supplied spark plug boot. I cannot get continuity through it! I had a spare so I cut it up to have a look. I'm non the wiser.... Am I going off on a red herring and this is normal?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boot is just for protection and has nothing to do with spark. Second, due to the design of today’s coils resistance reading mean nothing. If you remove the kill wire from the coil and still have no spark, most common cause is a bad coil. Coil air gap should be set at .010”.

SteveinNormandie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. The metal boot has a brass inner, connects to the HT wire at one end and the plug at the other, I do not have continuity from one end of the brass inner to the other. That cannot be normal?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is it possible to get a picture of it. I’m very confused and we might be talking two different things. Also please post all engine numbers.

Romore

Threads
Those shielded spark plug terminals are a royal pita, some bright light decided they needed to supress radio interference. Use it for a doorstop and install the wire clip and rubber boot.