Max RPM

cjdave

Member
I have a Craftsman riding mower 12hp i/c Briggs. In has been worked before i got it and i don't think it a a governer hook up. It revs up HIGH. i'am just runing it about half speed. I would like to know how high it is to high? I guess am asking what rpm is max? And will a auto tach. meter work on it or do i have to guess what max is? Thanks David
 
If the engine is less than five years old, I would set it at max 3200 RPM. Older than 5 would go to 3400.
 
Sorry, but an auto tach won't work. If you don't have a tach, set the speed by sound. How??? Start your push mower and listen. Most of the newer models run at 3100RPM's. Adjust your tractor. Start low and slowly bring it up. May take awhile, but you'll get pretty close, unless your tone deaf.
 
My 2011 Mountfield SP414 2.6HP 100CC Self Propelled lawn mower runs at 2,800RPM, but it is only a walk behind, so yours should probably be around 3,000 RPM.
 
Back
Top