Masport Rotarola self propelled roller mower

Geluk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Though Masport (Made in New Zealand) isn't listed in the forum's brands, the engine it's fitted with is a B&S one (675 series engine).
As part of the maintenance schedule you have to grease this chain annually, once you've removed
all the dead grass!
That part is easy, but I'm hoping someone can give me some clues on refitting the chain; every 3
years you have to clean & grease the chain under black cover, as in photo; to do this you
have to remove the chain obviously to access screws to remove black cover.
Last time I removed the chain I really struggled to refit the large chain, and wonder if anyone
can share any tips/tricks?;) I found it virtually impossible to rejoin the chain and then insert the split pin;
just didn't have the strength (or gadget) to bring links together.

Thanks & take care.

(Also attach extract from Masport Service Manual)
Chain.jpg

Attachments

• Pages from Masport Sevc manual.pdf
    246 KB · Views: 2

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I would not remove the chain to service. I would blow off the grass and dirt with and air compressor or leaf blower, wash the chain with petrol or degreaser, Dry throughly, and then put a thin coat grease on the chain.

Geluk

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only way to access the chain inside the black cover <arrowed> (behind large chain) is to remove it unfortunately!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the white plastic tension roller
IT should have a slot underneath it to adjust chain tension
Then take the cover off and do the inner chain
I use dry chain lube from a push bike shop as it does not stay wet and therefore the dirt dust & clippings do not get stuck to it.
TriFlow Dry is what I currently use.
t is good on cables as well
Use the same stuff on the drive chains of theCougars ( NZ Brand ) and the Greenfields & Cox ( Aust Brands )

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now I see and understand your problem. This is now how I would tackle this problem. Remove the primary chain and the secondary chain cover. Then proceed with the service I posted. After service I would clean the back surface of the cover and get some gasket material and make a gasket to install between the cover and back plate. Install the cover and gasket, this should seal this chain and double or triple the time between servicing from 100 hours to 200-300 hrs. Second, when installing the primary chain, if you can remove all tension on the roller, you should be able to slide the sprockets back on without disassembling the chain.

Geluk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks.