LX176 surging after start up after it died.

Goose57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all newbie here. Looking forward to using this site to lean and repair my LX. My LX has a Kaw FC420V engine in it. Tried ordering a discontinued governor spring (M74265) After finding it broken after it suddenly died on me. My local JD dealer said he could not locate one. Also I ordered and paid for on line thinking I found it. And they e-mailed me a refund. I guess they couldn’t find one either? Any ideas where to find one? HELP!!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

Goose57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love this site already. Just order it on eBay. Thanks StarTech. I hope that’s the only problem. If that part is only the take up spring.( won’t idle an surges, after it died after hitting something).

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good luck with the ebay purchase
Sort of makes the response I was writing a bit redundant
Kawasaki Australia have it listed as available but their web site is a bit iffy & I only find out the truth after an order is placed.
There must be a replacement available as there are avery large number of FC 420's out there.

The exact right governor spring is not all that critical.
Almost any spring off an FC 420 will do the job with a little tweaking.
The end result might have the engine a little sluggish to respond to loads,
The long thin spring at the top92144*2033 is just for damping out the response so the engine is not continually over correcting.
A lot of engines that come in are missing this spring.

Goose57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks beretsmobile. I've had ifies :unsure:ordering online also. Sorry to hear that spring is not that critical. It's must be something else. It died after hitting something, restarted, surging and dying. I guess I,ll go out and troubleshoot some more instead of waiting for the spring to come in (not that critical). I was hoping that was it. Thanks for listening.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks beretsmobile. I've had ifies :unsure:ordering online also. Sorry to hear that spring is not that critical. It's must be something else. It died after hitting something, restarted, surging and dying. I guess I,ll go out and troubleshoot some more instead of waiting for the spring to come in (not that critical). I was hoping that was it. Thanks for listening.
The spring is critical.
You mower can not work without it
Having the exact right one is not critical
So if you can not find a Kawasaki one we might be able to use a Honda one.
They all do the same thing by putting a load against the governor

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The exact right governor spring is not all that critical.
Almost any spring off an FC 420 will do the job with a little tweaking.
The end result might have the engine a little sluggish to respond to loads,
That because of the different spring rates. Lighter springs makes more sensitive and heavier makes them less sensitive. Not as much critical on mower as it is on generators.

As for ordering problems it appears that I just got one part from a trusted distributor that now appears to be just taken off the order just because the Briggs warehouse they shipped out of didn't have it in stock but the part is available. They just didn't want to pay the shipping out of another warehouse.

It was their deal to flag my order with free shipping.:LOL: That's their shipping deal of any order over $200 ship free, just don't want pace an order under $200. They recently sock it to me on a $125 order where they added $45 in shipping charges. The current order already has $35 in shipping charges being wrote-off so I pretty well got my $45 back.;) They are going to hate me from now on as all orders will be $200+ or they get placed with vendors with better overall costs.

Goose57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks bertsmobile and startech for your help. Glad to hear there is still hope. I hope it shows. The shipping deal makes sense the first vender was going to charge me $22.50 ?for shipping for a spring that could fit in a padded envolpe. eBay just $3.50.? Thanks again.