Repairs LTX 1040 brake interlock question

skinnyoldguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Cub Cadet LTX 1040 will not start because of the brake interlock (brake light comes on when I turn key to start). The brake appears to be working as I can not push it with the brake depressed. Also the parking brake lock is not working.

It is inconveniently stuck at the bottom of a long grade and I need to get it up to my driveway to have it repaired. Is there a way I can temporarily defeat the brake safety switch in order to get it out of the yard and up the hill? I would appreciate any help. I do not have a service manual so I would need to know where the switch is located, what to do, etc.

skinnyoldguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a shop manual which came in 2 days. The brake interlock switch for manual PTO is mounted on the top of the frame left side behind the dash. There is a rectangular opening in the frame for a pad on the brake rod to depress the plunger on the switch. Using a mirror you can see this without taking off the mower deck, dash etc. My brake pedal was stopping before it closed the circuit (although it was engaging the brake) - no matter how hard I pressed. I got down and played with the linkages etc. and suddenly it freed up. Not sure what was going on - perhaps a piece of yard debris stuck in a bad place.
The electric PTO interlock switch is similarly placed but appears to be slightly different (e.g. the manual switch is replaceable without removing the fender and dash, but not the electric version).

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello And WELCOME to LMF...

A double congratulations ...
One for getting your problem solved AND
An even Larger one for posting back to let us know & to possibly help someone else that may have a similar problem...

Didn't find your posts till now... busy last several days... :smile:KennyV

skinnyoldguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
This problem occurred again, and this time I discovered what was causing it. The travel limit pin (a clevis pin) on the right side brake linkage was loose - the cotter pin securing it was gone (I haven't been down there, so I don't know how that happened). It would bounce around and occasionally get stuck in a position that limited the brake travel in a bad way. Playing with the linkage would sometimes dislodge it.

chrislee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bumping this old thread...

...we experienced this on a 3 year old LTX 1040. The missing bow tie pin is a mystery to us.

Anybody else have this problem occur. If so, I'd like to know and also I'm interested if anybody has a theory on why the bow tie pin would be missing.

Thanks!

huskyd97

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I recently encountered the same issue after using the parking brake. I found the 5/16" Clevis Pin was loose (right side of mower below the gas pedal). After searching the parts manual, looks like a bow-tie cotter pin is missing. To free up the brake pedal from moving the gas pedal, I just pulled the clevis pin as far back as possible, and this removed the interference.
Then I was able to fully seat the pin thru the first bracket's slotted hole and then by pushing the brake pedal down slightly and pushing on the pin it fully inserted into a second bracket hole (not sure what it is but it moves with brake pedal). The clevis pin is now snug with some tension on it, but I'm sure it will loosen up again after driving it for a bit.

I have ordered a bow-tie cotter pin (p/n 714-04040) that I found in the parts manual.
Install does not look to bad, seems to be a little access from underneath towards the front of the mower.
Still have no idea why that bow-tie cotter would be missing, the whole point of the bow-tie design is to prevent dis-lodging ,it's possible that it shipped that way!
Hope that helps.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the info.
If the pin is not needed to be removed for regular maintanance then put a split pin in there.
Cut it short enough so when you bend back the tabs they are snug around the shaft.
If the shaft is really soppy slip some washers on one or both sides.
Cometimes I have needed to use a smaller outer diameter washer and drill it out to prevent fouling.