LT155 15HP Kohler Valve Timing

BlazingTiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there anyway to adjust these valves? I turned by hand till 1 valve was compressed and checked the other and there is no gap. Mower doesn't start, it clicks, turns if it feels like it for a little then stops. I thought maybe the battery wasn't strong enough to turn it but its reading 10v so thinking valves are too tight (zero gap even when open) not allowing proper motor operation? Can't even fit a 0.0015" feeler. Sorry, don't know much about motors and all that and can't find what I need on the internet. Forums have always been helpful in the past so that's why I'm here.

But, I also did have the shop pick it up and they charged the battery and replaced some wires and then it started right up so maybe it is the battery but once it sat for a week it didn't start again. Already bought a battery charger coming today, but I'm thinking the valves having no clearance could also be an issue?

Thanks for any advice/help! It is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230209_121911 (1).jpg
    20230209_121911 (1).jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 0

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the engine model and spec numbers. With them we can find out if you have solid tappers or hydraulic lifters. If you have hydraulic lifters there will be no clearance.

BlazingTiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model
Please post the engine model and spec numbers. With them we can find out if you have solid tappers or hydraulic lifters. If you have hydraulic lifters there will be no clearance.
Model No. CV15S
Spec No. 41562

Attachments

• 20230209_141642.jpg
    20230209_141642.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 1

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
is the 10VDC when you are cranking or is just when not using the battery to crank? If it is when not using the battery then it is too low as you probably got two dead cells.

BlazingTiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
is the 10VDC when you are cranking or is just when not using the battery to crank? If it is when not using the battery then it is too low as you probably got two dead cells.
Not cranking. I'm going hook up a trickle charger to the battery and see where that gets me with it fully charged. Thank you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If it is dead cells the battery will not fully charge, just develop a surface charge, Battery needs to be charged and loaded test at one your local Automotive parts stores as they do it for free.

Also once the engine is running you need make sure it is charging the battery at 13+ VDC. If note it is likely the rectifier diode in the stator lead is bad. They can open, short, or become leaky. These stators are repairable if just the diode is bad. otherwise you would need Kohler PN 12 085 08-S which list for $85 but most places are higher especially JD. Besides I can't even pull it up at my JD dealer under either of the two PN they gave me on JD Parts.

Now this assuming you have the three stator as JD Parts does list the 15 amp setup too which incase you have the voltage regulator setup but I went by the engine's spec number posted which is the 3 amp setup.

BlazingTiger

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it is dead cells the battery will not fully charge, just develop a surface charge, Battery needs to be charged and loaded test at one your local Automotive parts stores as they do it for free.

Also once the engine is running you need make sure it is charging the battery at 13+ VDC. If note it is likely the rectifier diode in the stator lead is bad. They can open, short, or become leaky. These stators are repairable if just the diode is bad. otherwise you would need Kohler PN 12 085 08-S which list for $85 but most places are higher especially JD. Besides I can't even pull it up at my JD dealer under either of the two PN they gave me on JD Parts.

Now this assuming you have the three stator as JD Parts does list the 15 amp setup too which incase you have the voltage regulator setup but I went by the engine's spec number posted which is the 3 amp setup.
Charged battery, mower fired right up. Battery reading 13.3 VDC. But I have a feeling battery isn't being charged during operation or somehow leaking energy while sitting. Because I bet if I let it sit and try to start it up in a week it won't start. Because that's what happened after the shop charged it, replaced some wires and returned it to me. And I believe it is the 3 amp setup. Was watching another video and there is a 15amp model but has an extra part mounted on the side of the motor that mine does not.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Manual I posted contains the procedure for testing the charging system.