Engine LT1000 won't start

ctjayhawker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, Everybody!
OK, here's my issue. I have a Craftsman LT1000, about 8 years old (Briggs engine). It has been having an issue wherein the starter won't spin up. Watching it while turning the key (with a fully-charged battery), the starter gear just kind of twitches, and goes "bzzrt". Consulting the local mower shop led to consensus that I had a bad starter. So, I ordered a new one. It arrived all new and shiny, and I said, "Yay!" Took it out, put it on, and it DID THE SAME ^$#@&*% THING. Anybody have any ideas about this? I gots grass what needs mowin'!
Thanks!
Chuck

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
sounds like you may have a bad wire connection someplace. check the battery terminals to make sure there clean. also check the ground wire were it hooks to the mower frame to make sure you have a good connection. could also be a bad starter solenoid.. sounds like you are getting low voltage to the starter for some reason.

Threads
Hi, Everybody!
OK, here's my issue. I have a Craftsman LT1000, about 8 years old (Briggs engine). It has been having an issue wherein the starter won't spin up. Watching it while turning the key (with a fully-charged battery), the starter gear just kind of twitches, and goes "bzzrt". Consulting the local mower shop led to consensus that I had a bad starter. So, I ordered a new one. It arrived all new and shiny, and I said, "Yay!" Took it out, put it on, and it DID THE SAME ^$#@&*% THING. Anybody have any ideas about this? I gots grass what needs mowin'!
Thanks!
Chuck

It sounds like the solenoid, or a bad wire connection.. maybe frame ground, or ignition switch etc.. These are just a few things i can think to check..

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I hear an echo...

but to make it a second in agreement with ILENGINE...
check for voltage drops across the starter solenoid and the battery cables... :smile:KennyV

wildbill

Threads
I also have an LT1000. Now "bout 2-3 years ago I also was convinced (assumed) that the starter was bad. Bought a new one, etc. Same problem, clicking, buzzing, starter would sometimes engage, sometimes not. My problem was the ground wire connection where it bolts to the frame, its under the right rear fender. The bolt was tight, but time had allowed enough corrosion to partially 'insulate' the connection from the frame. I took off the wire, sanded the connections, applied some electrical sealant, and have not had a problem since............. I now also have a spare solenoid and a spare starter.
Had I checked the voltage drop as KennyV suggests I would have likely found the problem.