LT 1042 Muffler

Tonysci

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a well used 1042. Found the muffler off of the exhaust pipe. Bolt holes deformed & enlarged. So I used a coat hanger to, at least, keep the muffler on the exhaust pipe. Is there supposed to be some kind of fitting in the muffler to seal around the exhaust tube because there is not any type of seal at all on this one.

tonysci-albums-cub-cadet-lt-1042-picture11668-lt1042-04.jpg

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like it may have been welded according to the diagram.

Attachments

• cub1042a.jpg
    cub1042a.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 6

Tonysci

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like it may have been welded according to the diagram.

Not sure about supposed to being welded in place. The few used ones for sale that I've seen show no signs of welding.
You'd have to mount it to the brackets, tack weld it, remove the assembly, weld them together, put 'em back in. Don't you think that there would be some type of collar to weld to?

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes I would think so and you would think the pipe would come already attached to the muffler. Perhaps some one who also has the same Kohler engine could enlighten us. :confused2:

Lynn A

Forum Newbie
Threads
Although I have an rzt-42, ran into the same problem with the holes wallowing out. In your pic it looks to be the same kind of muffler. The exhaust pipe just slides into the muffler. No welding. I rethreaded with bigger hex screws but that wallowed out also. Took the muffler off and drilled thru to the other side and put long bolts with washers, lock washers and backup nuts. been working fine ever since.