LT 1000 blows 20 amp fuse at hot start

DaveDSR

Threads
My Craftsman LT1000 (917.275391) instantly blows the 20 amp fuse when I turn the ignition switch to "Start", but only when the engine is hot (just been running for some time) or even just warm (has cooled down for some time). Seems to me that I have a temperature sensitive intermittent dead short somewhere in the circuit from the "S" terminal on the ignition switch. I've looked at the wires. The solenoid was replaced early last season, and it's not mounted on the engine so it doesn't get hot. Any thoughts on where the short might be?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Without which engine you have, I would suspect someone has replaced the starter and has a pinched fuel solenoid power wire between the starter and the crankcase. But as said it is just a guess.

DaveDSR

Threads
[
Without which engine you have, I would suspect someone has replaced the starter and has a pinched fuel solenoid power wire between the starter and the crankcase. But as said it is just a guess.
Thanks StarTech for the quick reply.
The engine is a Craftsman (Briggs & Stratton) 18HP OHV Intek. I put a new starter on early last season when I changed the solenoid. Based on your guess I took a look. Your guess was right. I pinched two wires between the starter body and the crankcase. I can't believe I did that, but there they were. I "unstuck" them and did several hot starts without blowing a fuse. I didn't see any sign of arcing or burning or even bare copper at the pinch point, but it looks like the problem is solved. If not, it certainly was a problem waiting to happen.
My wiring diagram shows the fuel shut off solenoid connected to terminal A1 on the ignition switch. A1 Is connected to B (battery+) in both the the start and run modes. Why then wouldn't a short in the wire to the fuel shut off solenoid blow the fuse in the run mode?
Thanks again!