Export thread

Loud banging noise when starting B&S

J

JimP2014

Hi,

I have a 14.5HP Briggs engine and was able to get it running right, very smooth. As of today when
turning the key their is a loud banging noise and then it runs fine. So now every time
you start the engine their is a loud clanging noise and it goes way after the engine
runs for maybe a second or two. If it is the engine and not some issue with the mower deck,
what could cause this initial noise that then goes a way fairly quick?

Thanks,

Jim

Wildcat

Wildcat

Sounds like the starter...more specifically the bendix key.

I

ILENGINE

Make sure the engine mounting bolts are tight to the frame. The will back out about 1/16 of a turn and allow the engine to move on the frame and will clunk loudly most times at start up and shut down.

NorthBama

NorthBama

Make sure the engine mounting bolts are tight to the frame. The will back out about 1/16 of a turn and allow the engine to move on the frame and will clunk loudly most times at start up and shut down.

i agree

J

JimP2014

Thanks to all who have replied. I did not mention that the problem seems to have started
after I disabled the kill switch under the seat. The reason for doing this was because the
engine would just cut-out for no reason. Now the engine runs fine. I will keep the above
in mind and check these things out. It might also be the deck/blades. But the main thing
is I am hoping the issue is not a connecting rod or some other internal engine part. And the
replies thus far indicate, 'no not an internal engine part' - a good thing.

Thanks again,

Jim

Wildcat

Wildcat

..... It might also be the deck/blades.....

I might be reading to much into this part but are you starting the mower with the PTO turned on? If so that might be another reason for the clunk you hear.

Carscw

Carscw

I might be reading to much into this part but are you starting the mower with the PTO turned on? If so that might be another reason for the clunk you hear.

I was thinking the same thing

J

JimP2014

I am not trying to start with PTO engaged. It is a weird setup where the height and the PTO are the same
lever. Pulling up all the way is how you disengage the PTO. It might be this.

Jim

Carscw

Carscw

I am not trying to start with PTO engaged. It is a weird setup where the height and the PTO are the same lever. Pulling up all the way is how you disengage the PTO. It might be this. Jim

Take the deck belt off and see if there is any change.

J

JimP2014

"Take the deck belt off and see if there is any change. "

Good plan. I will post back with the results.

Jim

Wildcat

Wildcat

I am not trying to start with PTO engaged. It is a weird setup where the height and the PTO are the same
lever. Pulling up all the way is how you disengage the PTO. It might be this.

Jim

Is this on a Troy Bilt? My PTO and deck height is on the same side as well.

J

JimP2014

Wildcat,

I have an older MTD. The lever for the deck height is the same exact lever for the blades.

It works like this. Raise the mower deck up all the way and the blades are supposed to dis-engage.

As you drop the lever so the deck gets closer to the ground, the blades engage. Normally, as I am
sure you know the deck height and PTO lever are separate levers. Not this MTD, it is all-in-one combo
idiocy.

Jim

Wildcat

Wildcat

Wildcat,

I have an older MTD. The lever for the deck height is the same exact lever for the blades.

It works like this. Raise the mower deck up all the way and the blades are supposed to dis-engage.

As you drop the lever so the deck gets closer to the ground, the blades engage. Normally, as I am
sure you know the deck height and PTO lever are separate levers. Not this MTD, it is all-in-one combo
idiocy.

Jim

That just stupid. I guess you can drop the deck or take the belt off to the deck and see if you still get the clunk noise. I still think its a starter problem personally.

J

JimP2014

I just checked, it was quite simple when the engine starts the whole engine moves. So it was a missing engine bolt.

J

JimP2014

That was it - thanks!

NorthBama

NorthBama

It does jump around when mounting bolts work loose. Glad you found the problem.

LostInMO

LostInMO

Guys, I had this issue. Found this thread and it helped. Turned out I was missing one motor mount bolt. I had it in my garage because at some point after losing it, I found it in the yard. I just did not realize what it went to.

Anyway, before finding this thread, I could tap on the starter with a rubber mallet and then my mower would start. Then it made the loud noise and would stop. Tap on the starter with the rubber mallet before I could get it to start again. Then a loud noise and it would stop. After screwing the motor mount bolt in, the mower won't start. Even after tapping the starter with the rubber mallet. It just spins.

Any ideas guys? I need to get my mower going. My lawn is looking like the amazon jungle.

dougand3

dougand3

I'd guess your starter pinion/bendix gear is chewed up. They are usually nylon or plastic. Post your engine model # - on a valve cover or shroud.

LostInMO

LostInMO

The engine model # is 28V707

dougand3

dougand3

Search web for Briggs 28V707
Parts houses come up. eg: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/b...-engine-parts-c-16758_17347_17430_217077.html
We see that engine has 2 types of pinion gears.
First, tho....need to see which you have...may pull a starter cover or blower housing

LostInMO

LostInMO

starter.jpgThis is my starter. Looks like metal. Not worn out, to me, anyway. I do not understand why it would start before I put the motor mount bolt in it but not after.

dougand3

dougand3

Try starting while looking at how pinion interacts with ring / FW gear.

LostInMO

LostInMO

I watched. The gear goes up. Not exactly what to look for other than that.

dougand3

dougand3

Getting info is like pulling teeth here. So, the pinion gear goes up...it meshes with the ring gear? it turns the FW and engine spins? Pinion just grunts and FW doesn't move?
If the starter spins the engine at a fast clip....the no run issue is elsewhere....fuel, compression, timing, etc.

Fish

Fish

I vote on loose engine mount bolts.
Just watch the engine with the hood up when you start it.

Fish

Fish

Lol, I just responded to a 6 year old question!!

To the new guy: Did you change the battery? If so, you may have it hooked up backwards.

LostInMO

LostInMO

Here is a video. Hopefully it helps to understand what is going on.

The battery is hooked up correctly.

Link to video:

Fish

Fish

Take off the top cover and look at things. I hear a noise like a loose coil or something rubbing.

Fish

Fish

We need to clarify terminology a bit. Starting vs. cranking, etc..
When you turn the key all of the way to the right, we should call "cranking".
So is your engine trouble cranking, and not starting? Or not cranking/spinning at all?
Start over from the start. When you tighten the bolt, will it crank?

dougand3

dougand3

The flywheel looks to be spinning fine.....fuel/air delivery, compression, spark at the correct time....1 of those is faulty. Simple tests:
1. Pull spark plug. Re-insert in boot. Ground metal plug on cylinder fin. Turn key and look for spark.
2. Squirt gas into plug hole. Re-install plug and boot. Turn key and see if engine RUNS for 2-3 secs.

LostInMO

LostInMO

There is spark.

I dipped the end of the spark plug in gas and put the plug back in...did not run.

dougand3

dougand3

I doubt that is enough fuel. Spray 2 secs of WD-40 or such in plug hole and try.

K

keakar

That just stupid. I guess you can drop the deck or take the belt off to the deck and see if you still get the clunk noise. I still think its a starter problem personally.
the way this design works is there are large springs on the back of the deck so as you lower the deck it makes the springs pull the deck back tensioning the deck belt

its a variation of the concept used on single speed trannys using the variable pulley to tension the drive belt but in this case they shift the deck position to tension the deck belt

and i agree its not the best design

Fish

Fish

The noise sounds like it may be the screen on top of the flywheel is rubbing, perhaps.

Fish

Fish

Take the air filter off and pour a dribble of gas in.

S

slomo

Here is a video. Hopefully it helps to understand what is going on.

The battery is hooked up correctly.

Link to video:
Was that video shot under water? Throw that potato camera away.

slomo

S

slomo

Far as it not starting with loose engine mount bolts, doesn't the engine block bolt to the frame and create the - ground path back to the battery? If that is so, no wonder it wasn't starting. In that case there was a poor ground. Or is there a ground strap on the engine block that later connects to the - post? I'd have to see that engine setup to find out.

slomo

LostInMO

LostInMO

I doubt that is enough fuel. Spray 2 secs of WD-40 or such in plug hole and try.
Did that. Did not start.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

? guess a crank pin/con rod with l o o s e tolerances would make a noise while cranking?

LostInMO

LostInMO

The noise sounds like it may be the screen on top of the flywheel is rubbing, perhaps.
That is what was making that sound.

S

slomo

That is what was making that sound.
Remove the spark plug and rotate the engine. Listen for unusual noises.

slomo

LostInMO

LostInMO

Take the air filter off and pour a dribble of gas in.
Did that. Did not start.

LostInMO

LostInMO

Remove the spark plug and rotate the engine. Listen for unusual noises.

slomo
Do not hear anything unusual. To me, anyway.

LostInMO

LostInMO

I tightened up a couple of more motor mount bolts. Still won't start.

I found a bolt in my yard. Is there a 5th motor mount bolt? 4 are in. Not sure where this one goes if that even is what it is. Before I tightened the other motor mount bolts, the engine did shift. Now, it does not.

S

slomo

I tightened up a couple of more motor mount bolts. Still won't start.

I found a bolt in my yard. Is there a 5th motor mount bolt? 4 are in. Not sure where this one goes if that even is what it is. Before I tightened the other motor mount bolts, the engine did shift. Now, it does not.
Sounds like a shifter bolt. ????

slomo

Fish

Fish

It won't fire too well on wd-40. Pour a dribble of gas in.

Fish

Fish

If the gas doesn't work, you need to check for spark and compression. Film yourself trying to rotate the flywheel backward so we can see how the compression looks. Then take out the plug and test for spark, if none, remove the little wire going to the coil/kill wire and test.

Fish

Fish

Put up a pic of that bolt too.

LostInMO

LostInMO

Put up a pic of that bolt too.
It is the same size as the other bolt I had. I put the other one in the missing motor mount bolt hole. Not sure where this one goes yet.

motormountbolt.jpg

Fish

Fish

Put up the number off the tag under/behind the seat, we can look at the parts diagram to see where those fasteners are.

Fish

Fish

Just for the info, did the motor have all 4 mount bolts in place? The smaller push mowers have 3, the bigger ones have 4.

LostInMO

LostInMO

Just for the info, did the motor have all 4 mount bolts in place? The smaller push mowers have 3, the bigger ones have 4.
No. i could see 3 in place and saw 1 missing. I put one in that spot so now it has 4.

Fish

Fish

If you put up the model number of the tractor, we can look and see where the fasteners like them are.

LostInMO

LostInMO

If you put up the model number of the tractor, we can look and see where the fasteners like them are.
Looks like a 40508x92D

Fish

Fish

Yeah, those Murrays had a lot of them self tapping ones.

Fish

Fish

Was the other one you put in the motor painted with Murray red?

Fish

Fish

Fish

Fish

This is one that holds the engine.

LostInMO

LostInMO

Was the other one you put in the motor painted with Murray red?
No. Looks like the one in the pic.

Fish

Fish

Those are used in a lot of spots, you might take a look. I usually go back with a regular bolt and locknut, so they won't fall out again.

S

seattlepioneer

"Take the deck belt off and see if there is any change. "

Good plan. I will post back with the results.

Jim

Still waiting for that reply....

Fish

Fish

Still waiting for that reply....
Yeah, 6 years is a long time to wait!!!

LostInMO

LostInMO

Well I had a friend who has a shop look at it. The connecting rod broke. He said a new engine, with labor and all, would cost $700. Mystery solved, I suppose.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Yeah, 6 years is a long time to wait!!!
maybe he's got slow internet..

Fish

Fish

maybe he's got slow internet..
Yeah, Hughesnet!!