Looking to Buy Riding Mower

teagueAMX

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to buy a riding mower.

My property is an acre of "fairly" even terrain, slightly sloped, covered by various types of vegetation. Mowing down to +/- 2" is good enough.

Consumer Reports: John Deere X350-42, or the Husqvarna TS 354X but 54" is too wide. Other Husqvarna models get lower CR ratings. Craftsman?

My usage is not that rough so I'm shooting for problem free 3-4 years.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I say for your time frame the John Deere would do the job just fine. Those have pretty high speed blades that do a nice job, hydro transmission is easy to use. Lots of horsepower for the deck size too. Long term use would probably get expensive in repairs though.

teagueAMX

Forum Newbie
Threads
Long term - after 4 years?

Whats your take on the John Deere vs Husqvarna

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Anything that looks like a Husqvarna that is painted a different colour is just that .
Basically the same mower off the same line usually made with cheaper parts .
What has Husqvarna on the side is the best quality, everything else is a cheaper version.
Deeres are usually built to a higher level and are more rugged in design than most equivalent designs.
Because most things are better, they are also slightly more expensive.
Belts are a wear item like tyres on your car so get replaced as & when needed
And just like tyres some will wear them out in a season by abusing the mower and some will never replace them.

For instance we have just had the best rain in 3 years and this Autumn is abnormally hot so the grass has been growing a foot a week and seeding to boot.
I have done 15 belt replacements.
All of them was because the owners were trying to cut 8" or more off their grass in a single pass at a high speed .
Even worse 12 of these were set up for mulching so that puts an even higher load on the decks.
I used to try to educate customers but now days I rarely bother unless asked why they have gone through 2 or more belts in a season.

People are used to cars where now days the only maintenance that needs to be done is putting air in their tyres.
So because people are too dumb, lazy, stupid to maintain their mowers, the mower companies make mowers to suit them that run a few years the fall apart .
I have just finished servicing a Walker which is a top end mower. it has 27 grease points .
The Time cutter I did just before that had 2 , guess which one will still be running well in 20 years ?

Almost anything that is assembled in the USA will go at least 2 years without falling apart .
Fully imported mowers coming from China will do the same , if they actually work at all.

jd 300

Threads
If you go with the john deere stay away from the mulch deck my x300 deck would throw it's belt for no reason finally changed to a standard 42 inch deck now all is ok.

footballfan33

Threads
Anything that looks like a Husqvarna that is painted a different colour is just that .
Basically the same mower off the same line usually made with cheaper parts .
What has Husqvarna on the side is the best quality, everything else is a cheaper version.
Deeres are usually built to a higher level and are more rugged in design than most equivalent designs.
Because most things are better, they are also slightly more expensive.
Belts are a wear item like tyres on your car so get replaced as & when needed
And just like tyres some will wear them out in a season by abusing the mower and some will never replace them.

For instance we have just had the best rain in 3 years and this Autumn is abnormally hot so the grass has been growing a foot a week and seeding to boot.
I have done 15 belt replacements.
All of them was because the owners were trying to cut 8" or more off their grass in a single pass at a high speed .
Even worse 12 of these were set up for mulching so that puts an even higher load on the decks.
I used to try to educate customers but now days I rarely bother unless asked why they have gone through 2 or more belts in a season.

People are used to cars where now days the only maintenance that needs to be done is putting air in their tyres.
So because people are too dumb, lazy, stupid to maintain their mowers, the mower companies make mowers to suit them that run a few years the fall apart .
I have just finished servicing a Walker which is a top end mower. it has 27 grease points .
The Time cutter I did just before that had 2 , guess which one will still be running well in 20 years ?

Almost anything that is assembled in the USA will go at least 2 years without falling apart .
Fully imported mowers coming from China will do the same , if they actually work at all.

As a mechanic, do you think a Walker or Deere could handle mulching thick, not high, Zoysia grass? I understand the Deere deck can do both mulching and side discharge, whereas Walker decks do one or the other.

gotomow

Threads
I have the JD x350 42" and it is the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased. I currently use the mulch blades with the mulch kit installed. In fall I switch over to the high lift blades, remove the mulch kit and install the bagger. Takes just minutes to do so but the tractor lift I have makes it easy. I can manually side discharge by opening the gate on the mulch kit. It mulches great, bags great, runs great. One thing I like about the x350 is the frame is heavy duty. The comfort level is very nice compared to the JD100-240 series and the Huskys and Cubs that I test drove. Also with the x350 you get 4 years bumper to bumper warranty which you can extend to 6 years if you like. Can you even get 6 years with any other brand?

Richandtd

Threads
The x350 is an updated version of my x324 that I bought new in 07 and still use.