Looking to buy a zero turn or tight turn mower. Need some help

logert gogert

Threads
  • / Looking to buy a zero turn or tight turn mower. Need some help
:eek::oops:
wow, I've never thought of that
wel.....looks like I'm never doing that again...Lol
so if i can't use the attachment, whats the best way to get it off?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
yeah but it dries off.....

and what about when you cut grass and leave the packed up grass on the inside of the deck? the moisture gets trapped in there and rusts it too

Metal doesn't really rust until it dries. The only reason metal rusts when submerged in water, is due to the oxygen in the water.

So then there's that.

But you go right ahead and wash off that deck and all those steel parts. It's your mower, right?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually it will rust under any conditions
The driving force for rusting is different oxygen potentials and internal energy stored in the lattice .
Remember it wants to be rust, we forced it to become steel.
Under water the rusting is actually faster than out of water because it is driven by thousands of tiny galvanic cells at the grain boundries .
The percieved difference is purely visual as when damp the rust will grab 6 water molecules becoming Fe2O3.6H2O which is a very big molecule and we see as being flakey rust
In water the rust is more evenly distributed , does not grab the extra 6 waters and can litteraly float away or get washed off .
Thee rust pits are tiny and require a strong glass or microscope to see so we think it is not rusting .
IT is the same for aluminium , the white fluffy stuff that brushes off easy is the stuff with the water and the tough stuff that takes forever to polish out is the stuff without water.

logert gogert

Threads
Metal doesn't really rust until it dries. The only reason metal rusts when submerged in water, is due to the oxygen in the water.

So then there's that.

But you go right ahead and wash off that deck and all those steel parts. It's your mower, right?
Yessir, I bought it myself....used.
It’s a 48in? I Think?
MTD
somewhere around 1998-2003 I would say
16.5 opponents on it
Came with 208 hours on it, it now has 222 hours on it
The original deck was rusted out, I replaced it with a newer deck of ebay

Lph008

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any opinions on a striping kit for this mower?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually it will rust under any conditions
The driving force for rusting is different oxygen potentials and internal energy stored in the lattice .
Remember it wants to be rust, we forced it to become steel.
Under water the rusting is actually faster than out of water because it is driven by thousands of tiny galvanic cells at the grain boundries .
The percieved difference is purely visual as when damp the rust will grab 6 water molecules becoming Fe2O3.6H2O which is a very big molecule and we see as being flakey rust
In water the rust is more evenly distributed , does not grab the extra 6 waters and can litteraly float away or get washed off .
Thee rust pits are tiny and require a strong glass or microscope to see so we think it is not rusting .
IT is the same for aluminium , the white fluffy stuff that brushes off easy is the stuff with the water and the tough stuff that takes forever to polish out is the stuff without water.

I used to repair radiators. When the aluminum with plastic tanks started becoming the norm, all was fine, until people started having normal leaks. Tubes are epoxied to the header plate. So obviously it's not going to last for ever.

But to compound the problem, when people would get a leak, instead of putting even a cup full of anti frieeze in their radiator, and filling it the rest of the way with water, they'd just add water. And when water and aluminum get together, with thin aluminum, it doens't take long for more leaks to pup up. This time, straight through the aluminim.