Look what I got for free! (JD 14sb)

Flint_Fredstone123

Forum Newbie
Threads
All my life I have messed with junk. Sometimes I can make a consumer mower run for years. I have never been fortunate nor wealthy enough to afford a riding mower which makes mowing 2 acres of property a job. Normally I wouldn't mow this much but some family members (which I helped raise) told me to mow it all or get the hell off their property. So the quest to find a good mower began. I acquired a craftsman 2500 rider that I'm fixing up but.. later on that. As me and my uncle were talking parts one day, he told me that he had a few mower parts that might help me out. I loaded up my car with a couple small engines when he asked it I wanted a push model. I asked if it ran at which point he started it right up. I asked what was wrong with it, and he said that it wouldn't mow. Thrusting the blade engagement forward, the engine stalled. Looking underneath the mower I saw nothing in which I have ever seen before. Thinking I could use it for something, I loaded it up too. My first thoughts were that at least it had a good aluminum body. I came home and immediately started to research this model. "I paid $900 for my 14sb back in 1990 something" was everywhere. "That Kawasaki engine runs forever" was also mentioned many times. "I have used my mower for 20+ years", etc etc. Elated, I decided to try and get it to work as the factory intended. I sprayed the moving parts with wd-40, and cleaned out the carb really good. Nothing more, nothing less, it mows like a dream. The cables are a little sticky but parts are all over and readily available. I love it!

SamD

Threads
It's a kick-ass mower! If you've gotten the mower back in good condition (maintenance items), you'll never want to let go of it. I've had mine since 1994, bought it used at an auction for $100, and it still starts on the first pull today! Granted, it's in residential service, but I wouldn't sell that mower for $1000. It's just that good a mower...

lugbolt

Threads
absolutely right. That mower is one of, if not THE, best residential walk-behind mower made. I sold thousands of them when I was with a deere dealer. $800-$1000 each. We didn't make much on them, but we made good friends and satified customers who often came back at a later date looking for a rider, or in some cases a tractor. All because that 14SB silver jubilee left such a positive impression.

14SB later became a JX75, same mower, little more hp, green deck and a better BBC. When I moved, the guy I bought the house from stopped by with a JX75 and said "you want this you can have it." I didn't bat an eye! Had to put a clutch (bbc) but still use it once a week from April through November. it's time for new wheels and a new rope starter assembly and I'll gladly put the money into it. It really is, THAT good of a mower.

Kubota built a good 'un too (W5021) but was a little more expensive and lesser known, didn't have the iconic yellow wheels. Never cared for the Honda plastic decks.

Had a 12PB for a while, push only (no self propel), 2 stroke briggs. Same deck as 14sb/jx75. Never had no issue out of it other than it liked gas and oil. If ya crank the governor on those, they cut really well. I used it as a ditch mower.