Export thread

Log splitter

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

I have a cub cadet 25 us ton log splitter. The cylinder is all the way out and will not suppress...anyone have any kind of experience on the the fix?

B

bertsmobile1

Welcome
What you have posted makes no sense
Please sit down with a cuppa organize your thoughts and repost
Are you having problems with the log splitter cylinder or the engine cylinder ?
Remember you are standing there in front of your broken machine
We are here looking at a screen
So you have to describe exactly what is happening or we can not help you .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

He probably means the cylinder is extended and won't retract. Assuming a double acting cylinder either control valve problem or low on fluid where pump is sucking air. You are right. Need more info.

StarTech

StarTech

Might even a busted coupler. But as always we need the equipment model numbers and very good description of the problem.

I

ILENGINE

Or the gland nut has come off and the cylinder is now bypassing internally.

B

bertsmobile1

we will just have to wait till he has his coffee.
He could also not be a native English speaker and that is how Google translated the page

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

I won't be in front of the broken machine until tomorrow and yes the cylinder is stuck all the way out and will not retract. If it's low on fluid how can you tell since it had enough fluid to press the cylinder all the way out and now the fluid is in the cylinder. I just maybe go ahead and buy the oil and add it just to see if it works or not?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The cap to the oil tank has a diostick built into it.
Usually when low on oil the pump will make a distinct whining sound.

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

Well I decided to get into the valve today. The lever was not staying when you put it in its retract position. All I did was pull the small cover on the back side. What little fluid that came out was black and had some metal shavings in it. There were two sleeves wrap around the cylinder that the lever attaches to. The end sleeve was held on with 4 small ball bearings wrap around it with a bigger ball bearing in the center having a spring behind it. Everything was still attached as far as I could see but I pulled the sleeve off cleaned everything and placed it back together. It was able to lock in position after that and the retract worked. Still not quite sure what caused it but was happy with the fix.

B

bertsmobile1

A little bit of that swarf under one of the balls will cause it not to seat
And by the sounds of it the splitter is way overdue for a hydraulic oil change and if has not got one fit a filter in the return line .
IF it has got one, change it now .

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

The filter did look old but before I pulled the valve apart I had loosened the line from the cylinder and cranked it to see if I was getting fluid flow in retract position. Well of course a little fluid came out of lines and cylinder because it was full from being extended but the fluid that came out of there was very very clear

B

bertsmobile1

The filter did look old but before I pulled the valve apart I had loosened the line from the cylinder and cranked it to see if I was getting fluid flow in retract position. Well of course a little fluid came out of lines and cylinder because it was full from being extended but the fluid that came out of there was very very clear
Filters & oil are cheap
Pumps & valves are not .
Sort of a no brainer isn't it ?

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

Sure it is! put in that perspective. Anyone would go a cheaper route. Thank ya sir

B

bertsmobile1

Way way back we had a contract for Roses Only
On Valentines day one of the local newspapers gave away a free tubed rose to every valentine massage in the classified adds.
Told you it was a long time ago
What was amazing was how many valentines ( mostly husbands ) had absolutely no idea where their precious other half worked.
By the end of the day all of the large city buildings had dozens of tea chest ( moving cartons to some ) full of tubed roses with addresses like Helen @ Amp Sydney , Amp had 6 buildings in Sydney , and one of them was 50 stories & another was 42 stories
In Australia Square ( which is round by the way ) there was so much lift traffic that several sets of lifts over heated so not only did SHE not get her rose but she had to either walk down the fire stairs ( again 36 floors ) or wait till the lifts were repaired, many of which were a couple of days to get finished
On the other side of the harbour there were a couple of lift room fires , remember Valentines day is in our hottest month of the year
So I don't have to tell you what happened to all of those red wrapped chocolate hearts either do I .

The following year you had to provide a company name, building street address , company & floor number .
The volume was about 1/3 of the previous year , still massive I delivered over 1000 & $ 1.20 each and again at least 1/2 ended up in the foyers because the addresses were wrong .
The first year the adds were $ 16 and the next year they were $ 25 .
It carried on for several more years but the flower shop did their own deliveries as it finally struck them was a near $ 500,000 up for grabs on Valentines day so they rented a few trucks and paid friends & family $ 250 for the day .
Mind you that day went at least 12 if not 16 hours .
A weeks wages were around $ 200 back them.
Fond memories of valentines day & No never sent a card or gift but the boss did send roses to every receptionist on both our pick up & delivery books , we got a lot of cred & quite a few new customers for that little PR trick .